Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.9 > 0.7.0 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was too quick to react, because I am still getting the "No schema for AdviseWindows... " error message just prior to the OC boot menu icons appearing.
AdviseWindows under Platforminfo-->Generic is set to Boolean NO but even if I toggle it to YES I still get that error message. The icon selection and display is however working well with PickerAttribute=144
I have attached my config.plist again, maybe you can pick up something that could cause this annoying error message.

Greetings Henties
you need to check over the sample.plist, you have:
Code:
<key>Generic</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AdviseWindows</key>
            <false/>
            <key>MLB</key>
            <string>xxxxxxxxx</string>
            <key>MaxBIOSVersion</key>
            <false/>
            <key>ProcessorType</key>
            <integer>0</integer>
            <key>ROM</key>
            <data>
            GMBNaZWE
            </data>
            <key>SpoofVendor</key>
            <true/>
            <key>SystemMemoryStatus</key>
            <string>Auto</string>
            <key>SystemProductName</key>
            <string>iMac20,2</string>
            <key>SystemSerialNumber</key>
            <string>xxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
            <key>SystemUUID</key>
            <string>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</string>
        </dict>

when it should be:

Code:
<key>PlatformInfo</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Automatic</key>
        <true/>
        <key>CustomMemory</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Generic</key>
        <dict>
            <key>AdviseFeatures</key>
            <false/>
AdviseWindows should be changed to AdviseFeatures

@P1LGRIM I have done the comparison many times over already and cannot find anything that seems wrong.
I always use the sample.plist file provided with the new release of OC and then just transfer the settings of the old config.plist, line by line, with PlistEditPro. This ensures that the structure of the new config.plist remains and stays in line with what the new OC requires and the devs intended.

Greetings Henties

@P1LGRIM I have done the comparison many times over already and cannot find anything that seems wrong.
I always use the sample.plist file provided with the new release of OC and then just transfer the settings of the old config.plist, line by line, with PlistEditPro. This ensures that the structure of the new config.plist remains and stays in line with what the new OC requires and the devs intended.

Greetings Henties
Use the Find function to look for AdviseWindows and then compare your config.plist with the sample.

As @Feartech posted, you may replace AdviseWindows with AdviseFeatures.

@Feartech @P1LGRIM and @miliuco thanks to all of you, renaming AdviseWindows to AdviseFeatures, was all that was needed.
The sample.plist, which is packaged with the OC 0.7.0 version released yesterday - 7 June 2021 - caused the problem because in that particular sample.plist it is still "AdviceWindows"

Greetings Henties.

By the way, the naming problem in the sample.plist compelled me to actually try and properly understand the advantages of the new opencanopy routines. I really like the flexibility the developers have coded into that area of opencore, @miliuco 's excellent explanation obviously contributed significantly to shorten my learning curve in this regard, quite drastically.

Last edited:
I was too quick to react, because I am still getting the "No schema for AdviseWindows... " error message just prior to the OC boot menu icons appearing.
AdviseWindows under Platforminfo-->Generic is set to Boolean NO but even if I toggle it to YES I still get that error message. The icon selection and display is however working well with PickerAttribute=144
I have attached my config.plist again, maybe you can pick up something that could cause this annoying error message.

Greetings Henties
PlatformInfo > Generic > AdviseWindows now is renamed AdviseFeatures.

In my original post:

PlatformInfo > Generic
  • AdviseWindows replaced by AdviseFeatures (Boolean) to update FirmwareFeatures (PlatformInfo > PlatformNVRAM and PlatformInfo > SMBIOS) with supported bits. It can be False.
  • A new bit has been added to FirmwareFeatures: FW_FEATURE_SUPPORTS_APFS (0x00080000) Without this bit, it is not possible to install macOS on an APFS disk. On most newer UEFI firmwares these bits are already set.
Note: most of us use only Generic section of PlatformInfo and don't need to install FirmwareFeatures or FirmwareFeaturesMask. But we all need to replace AdviseWindows with AdviseFeatures.

@Henties
My Sample.plist included in the 0.7.0 official release has AdviseFeatures, I think you aren't seeing the correct file.

Greetings Henties
@Henties : did you check with ocvalidate? It found an error in my config.plist which didn't show when comparing it to sample.plist with OCConfigCompare.

@Nodarkthings The way I create a config.plist for a new opencore release makes it superfluous to compare files with one another, I always use the sample.plist file, which is included with each new release of OC, and copy the information
contained in the still active config.plist into the sample.plist file which will, when the transfer has been completed, become the new config.plist and is used together with the new OC version to which it belongs to.

Update went smooth as silk, for me. ;)
I always have SIP disabled, since the first day Apple invented it... :mrgreen: Actually, I'm wondering what's the benefit of enabling it when nobody else uses your computer and you're behind a firewall. :confused: For us handymen, I feel it more like a "rottura di coglioni" as they say in Italy. :lol:
My Macs have OSes that span from PPC 10.4 to 10.11 (currently testing 10.14...), most of them haven't seen a security update for ages... I'm indeed wondering if that's not the best security policy — having very outdated OSes. ;)

Well, I'm wandering from the point. Thanks for this always very well documented write-up! :thumbup:

Very interesting, thanks! One more reason for me to stay away from Google's invasive products (and other invasive products), but SIP got one point here! :thumbup: — although it was a very specific combination of events.
With OpenCore apparently now allowing to turn it on/off easily, I might consider using it. ;)

EDIT: another interesting article about SIP & Co.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back