Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.8 > 0.6.9 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, You guys are using windows 10 too?
Don't you have some instability using OC to boot windows? Like some graphic crash in game ? Unnammed and missing sensor or else?
I stop using OC to boot windows, and use the quick boot menu of my motherboard. No pb anymore, especially since OC 0.6.9
Too bad It seems that there never will be an option to disable the hack for windows, as it is quite stupid to emulate a mac under windwos...
That said it sure work great for hack.

@vincerutabaga
Try this for Opencore not injecting SMBIOS data to Windows. You have to act on 2 keys of config.plist to avoid passing SMBIOS data:
  • Kernel> Quirks> CustomSMBIOSGuid> True (default is False)
  • PlatformInfo> UpdateSMBIOSMode> Custom (default is Create).

"as it is quite stupid to emulate a mac under Windows"
I think you have not understood the philosophy behind OpenCore. To make a hackintosh as close to a mac as possible. In all aspects. If you have a Mac and you install windows in Bootcamp, the behavior is similar to OpenCore in a hack that has macOS and Windows. This is what the creators of OpenCore intend. And many people are fine with it.

Hi miliuco!
I'm currently trying OC in my laptop, quite working, but the keyboard is not responding even at the picker (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/opencore-0-6-9-legacy-sandy-bridge-laptop.312712/#post-2248145).
The guys gave me interesting suggestions, but thinking about it, I'm rather thinking of a setting in OC's config.plist instead of kexts or SSDTs that are loaded with the OS, if I'm not mistaking, not before the picker...
Any idea? (you'll find the config.plist in that thread)

Hi miliuco!
I'm currently trying OC in my laptop, quite working, but the keyboard is not responding even at the picker (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/opencore-0-6-9-legacy-sandy-bridge-laptop.312712/#post-2248145).
The guys gave me interesting suggestions, but thinking about it, I'm rather thinking of a setting in OC's config.plist instead of kexts or SSDTs that are loaded with the OS, if I'm not mistaking, not before the picker...
Any idea? (you'll find the config.plist in that thread)
I don't see anything strange in your EFI folder. All settings seem to be good.
I would try the 4 KeySupportMode values which are: Auto, V1, V1 and AMI to see if with any of them the keyboard works fine.

Hurray! You're a benediction! :headbang:I had to disable OpenUsbKbDxe (although recommended by Dortania's guide for Legacy...) and enable KeySupport instead, then KeySupportMode=V1 and V2 worked. :thumbup:
N.B. : the drivers Ps2KeyboardDxe.efi and Ps2MouseDxe.efi seems needed too.

Last edited:
... but USB/keyboard/touchpad still don't work once booted.
Tried ReleaseUsbOwnership=YES, disabling USBInjectAll.kext but no way. Nothing shows in System information/USB except the webcam.
In Hackintool, I can see USB ports at EHC2 and EHCI, shouldn't they need renaming?
If I boot with Clover, Hackintosh shows the same ports plus EHC1.
N.B. : I've got the USB FixOwnership checked in Clover.

Last edited:
Hi,

As per my usual OC update, I first update my USB stick, this time from 068 to 069. I boot off the USB stick, and everything comes up normally, the OpenCanopy disk selector and the new 069 version ID.
Boot into Big Sur 11.2.3,
copy the USB EFI partition folder, called EFI, to the desktop,
unmount the USB EFI partition,
mount the NVMe Samsung EFI partition, that contains Big Sur,
remove the EFI folder from this EFI partition,
copy the new 069 desktop EFI folder to the NVMe EFI partition,
reboot and NO OC bootloader seen by the BIOS

Go into BIOS setup -> BOOT menu. NO OC or UEFI boot option seen. And no I have not touched any BIOS parameters.

But back the USB stick, booted from it again with no problems into Big Sur.

Copied the EFI folder from the USB stick to the NVMe EFI partiton,
Rebooted,

The BIOS still doesn't see the NMVe EFI OC boot option.

I have been using OC since 057, and have successfully done this update 10+ times.

What do I have to do to get my BIOS to see the OC bootloaded on the NVMe drive (which contains Big Sur and has been working for 12+ months) ?

Is there a hidden file I'm not aware of? Why does it boot from the USB stick with NO issues?

This is the structure of the EFI folder on the NVMe EFI partition:

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 6.08.04 PM.png

Hi,

As per my usual OC update, I first update my USB stick, this time from 068 to 069. I boot off the USB stick, and everything comes up normally, the OpenCanopy disk selector and the new 069 version ID...

Go into BIOS setup -> BOOT menu. NO OC or UEFI boot option seen. And no I have not touched any BIOS parameters...
Assuming you've made the change from 0.6.8 to 0.6.9 right, I think you probably need to do this:
  • ResetNVRAM (booting from USB stick)
  • enter BIOS setup> Boot> remove any entry that contains the word OpenCore and place the macOS NVMe disk as the first boot device
  • check that it boots from NVMe disk
  • redo ResetNVRAM
  • reboot and enter macOS.
Try and comment.

Not intending to be impolite but:
  • ResetNVRAM (booting from USB stick)
  • enter BIOS setup> Boot> remove any entry that contains the word OpenCore and place the macOS NVMe disk as the first boot device
  • check that it boots from NVMe disk
  • redo ResetNVRAM
  • reboot and enter macOS.

I had tried your sequence several times before sending in this thread. The issue was the BIOS boot selector would not recognize the NVMe drive at all.

So this is what I did to 'fix' the issue:

If you look at the image of my EFI folder above in post #27, you will see that there's a Microsoft folder. This is because I have a dual boot system and using the BIOS boot selector I can just boot using the Windows Boot Manager and not OC.

The fix was to move the Microsoft folder to the same level as the top EFI folder, then reboot. This removed the Windows Boot Manager option seen by the BIOS.

On rebooting the next time, with the USB stick removed, I could see a UEFI and a OC bootloader option in the BIOS selector.

I selected OC, it was 069, issued the NVRAM reset, booted the OS from the OC on NVMe EFI and success.

But now I don't have an option to boot Windows from OC.....

@vincerutabaga
Try this for Opencore not injecting SMBIOS data to Windows. You have to act on 2 keys of config.plist to avoid passing SMBIOS data:
  • Kernel> Quirks> CustomSMBIOSGuid> True (default is False)
  • PlatformInfo> UpdateSMBIOSMode> Custom (default is Create).

"as it is quite stupid to emulate a mac under Windows"
I think you have not understood the philosophy behind OpenCore. To make a hackintosh as close to a mac as possible. In all aspects. If you have a Mac and you install windows in Bootcamp, the behavior is similar to OpenCore in a hack that has macOS and Windows. This is what the creators of OpenCore intend. And many people are fine with it.
Thanks for the info, I may try this later on, but changing this kind of things messed up the windows and macos licences.

About the philosophy I am not so sure. There was a quirck for windows back in 0.5.x
But the guy in charge have been "fired", cause he didn't respect some chart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back