Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.7 > 0.6.8 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working disk is Mojave. Have upgraded Carbon Copy of Mojave to Catalina to test. Using SMBIOS 14.2 ATM.
OpenCore devs do not recommend iMac14,2 SMBIOS for use with your hardware.

On OC 0.6.7 and earlier, I had to put my Z390 Hack to sleep manually in order for the MB to turn off. The display would turn off, but not the MB.

Yes I have updated the kexts to the latest, and of course to OC 0.6.8, but now the Z390 Hack sleeps normally, and all the USB ports work after waking from sleep. Overall a big improvement.

I have not remapped the USB, still using the same USBMaps.kext since 0.5.9. Running Big Sur 11.2.3.

Really pleased with the results!

OpenCore devs do not recommend iMac14,2 SMBIOS for use with your hardware.
Thanks @P1LGRIM ... specifically built a 13,2 SMBIOS Catalina install USB to create a clean install. The result follows.

So having now removed every drive it’s obvious that my Pcie Mojave NVME SSD is the defaulted drive which EFI is being read.

Somehow that drive‘s EFI is being “defaulted” as any attempt to use BIOS boot selection to boot from another reinstalled drive or USB installer without that drive in the computer gets the “insert bootable media” error.

Im now certain that unless I find a method to clear NVRAM I’m just :banghead:

As the Mojave SSD was my working hackintosh I was leaving it essentially alone except moving it from Clover to Opencore last when I thought I had an understanding of how to use Opencore.

For reference that’s why it was 14,2 being a hangover from Clover being the suggested SMBIOS to get a working Mojave Clover build.

Last edited:
In addition to what @Edhawk commented, I propose you 2 things:
  • In BIOS > Boot section, make sure macOS disk is placed first (first boot device)
  • In OpenCore menu, with the macOS icon selected, press Ctrl (the selector icon changes to another icon) and press ENTER at the same time, thereby marking that macOS disk as the one that OpenCore will boot by default (only 0.6.8).
Thanks for the tip.The first tip was known by me but the second one...I didn't now it.:clap:

In addition to this you need to set "Misc -> Security -> AllowSetDefault = 1", only then 'control + enter' will make selected boot option the default. If not check your NVRAM is working.

You can either choose to HideAuxilliary or define all your entries manually. Read the Misc Section of the OpenCore PDF for more info.
Thanks for the advice. AllowSetDefault is boolean, according to the Configuration PDF. My setting is "true". Should I change it to the failsafe "false"? Or change the type to "Integer"?

Thanks for the advice. AllowSetDefault is boolean, according to the Configuration PDF. My setting is "true". Should I change it to the failsafe "false"? Or change the type to "Integer"?
While it's best to use integer Boolean as the data type to avoid unnecessary conversion I don't think It makes a difference if the value is set to "true" or "1" (In Xcode mine says "1" and ProperTree says "True").

edit: terribly sorry I wrote integer instead of Boolean.

Last edited:
Hey guys i don't know if this is the best place to ask but I was wondering where can I find good intuitive information on how to upgrade Open Core versions. my updates have always been messy and i can't find any good tutorials online. If you could share a guide, link or point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks!

Hi,
I got very funny but annoying bug after going to 0.6.8 from 0.6.5 - In the picker (with or without opencanopy) my keyboard is acting with 1000x sensitivity O_O. Ie. a very, very gentle press on arrow makes a jump from 1 do 2 (windows to mac os) -however a regular tap jumps 2 or ever 3 times to EFI or recovery. How to change the keyboard sensitivity (push force) in the picker? (tried on 2 different keyboards - 0.6.5 it is working as it should).

Is that normal?

Ps. mouse works just fine.

@bpioter
You have to play with new keys added in 0.6.8, especially KeyInitialDelay and KeySubsequentDelay, for it to work CustomDelays must be Enabled. They are in UEFI > AppleInput.
  • AppleEvent (String): determines whether OC builtin or OEM Apple Event (if available) protocol is used. In general OpenCore’s re-implementation should be preferred. It can be Auto (failsafe), Builtin and OEM. I use Builtin
  • CustomDelays (String): enables custom key repeat delays. It can be Enabled (the values KeyInitialDelay and KeySubsequentDelay are used), Disabled (Apple default values of 500ms (50) and 50ms (5) are used) and Auto (failsafe) (treated as Enabled when KeySupport is true and Disabled otherwise). I use Auto
  • KeyInitialDelay (Number): when not using KeySupport, this option will configure the initial delay before key repeat as expected. The Apple OEM default value is 50 (500ms). I have 0 (acts as 50, or 500ms)
  • KeySubsequentDelay (Number): configures subsequent keyboard repeat delay in OpenCore. The Apple OEM default value is 5 (50ms). I have 5 (acts as 25, or 250ms)
  • PointerSpeedDiv (Number): configures the divisor for pointer movements. Failsafe value is 1. 0 is an invalid value for this option. I use 2 to have a slower pointer.
  • PointerSpeedMul (Number): configures the multiplier for pointer movements. The Apple OEM default value is 1.
Try:
AppleEvent: Builtin
CustomDelays: Enabled
KeySubsequentDelay: 5
PointerSpeedMul: 1.

@miliuco <3

CustomDelays: auto
KeySubsequentDelay:50

It helped - Thanks a lot!

I noticed 1 more thing - Under about this mac - CPU is now "unknown" - it used to show intel i5 - (hackintool shows AMD ryzen 5 but for intel generation is shows "????") I know it is cosmetics - but still?

I got ProcessorType: 0 under platform info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back