Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.7 > 0.6.8 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can either choose to HideAuxilliary or define all your entries manually. Read the Misc Section of the OpenCore PDF for more info.
Thanks! I've already read the Misc section, but I don't get how to find the path for each OS partition (that are all on the same drive), they just mention pointing to a different EFI, which is not what I'm trying to do.

Thanks! I've already read the Misc section, but I don't get how to find the path for each OS partition (that are all on the same drive), they just mention pointing to a different EFI, which is not what I'm trying to do.
Yw. You could try using Hackintool on the Disk tab and right click each partition to copy path, should be straightforward but when I tried; Linux disks were trickier to get the right path, trial and error.

HideAux was enough for me in the end as I found custom entries a bit of a fiddle to get working how I wanted. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited:
... In addition to this you need to set "Misc -> Security -> AllowSetDefault = 1", only then 'control + enter' will make selected boot option the default. If not check your NVRAM is working...
Yes, I forget to say that AllowSetDefault must be 1 to be able to mark an entry as default by Crtl + Enter.

I think macOS system disks can't be added as custom entries (they can be added but don't work), they are detected by OpenCore and displayed in the picker.
@Nodarkthings In OpenCore there is not an option to easily hide some macOS entries.

@Westsurf NVRAM error is probably a security protocol introduced with Big Sur alongs ice the Snapshot feature, as these systems have switched to Apple's SSV (Signed System Volume). So the system won't let you Clear the Nvram using the OC tools.

If you want to re-flash the bios, use the Bios's built in Flash program. By the sounds of it you are using a custom Bios, not a standard Gigabyte Bios, just copy the custom Bios to a FAT32 formatted USB drive and you should be able to select and run it from the Gigabyte Bios EZ-Flash program.

A Clean install may work, as long as you are booting from a USB Installer and run the ClearNvram option before you start with the installation. I doubt it would work if you were booting from your current OC setup on the macOS drive. Using your current working setup on the USB drive would be the best option.
Have already tried a BIOS reflash and it’s made no difference to the NVRAM issue. I reflashed the backup BIOS and ran off that. No change. Unless the NVRAM is only cleared when the main BIOS is flashed?

Have used the onboard CMOS and reset buttons no change. I’m uncertain if shorting the CMOS clear pins will do anything different.

As an experiment I’m also going to remove all the drives and see if booting off the 0.6.8 USB gives me a 0.6.8 boot loader. So far I always get 0.6.7.

I feel I’ve hit a brick wall here ... my last option is when time avails is to remove the CMOS battery. I’m hoping that’ll finally clear the NVRAM. Unfortunately that’s going to involve breaking down the computer as it lies below the graphics card.

As this is turning into a bit of a project I’m going to leave this until the weekend.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be appreciated.

In the end the recent experience, despite a good run with the Opencore transition from Clover, reminds me of the adage “If it’s not broke don’t try to fix it”.

Sorry nothing more from me at this time, that was my best shot.

Have already tried a BIOS reflash and it’s made no difference to the NVRAM issue. I reflashed the backup BIOS and ran off that. No change. Unless the NVRAM is only cleared when the main BIOS is flashed?

Have used the onboard CMOS and reset buttons no change. I’m uncertain if shorting the CMOS clear pins will do anything different.

As an experiment I’m also going to remove all the drives and see if booting off the 0.6.8 USB gives me a 0.6.8 boot loader. So far I always get 0.6.7.

I feel I’ve hit a brick wall here ... my last option is when time avails is to remove the CMOS battery. I’m hoping that’ll finally clear the NVRAM. Unfortunately that’s going to involve breaking down the computer as it lies below the graphics card.

As this is turning into a bit of a project I’m going to leave this until the weekend.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice it would be appreciated.

In the end the recent experience, despite a good run with the Opencore transition from Clover, reminds me of the adage “If it’s not broke don’t try to fix it”.
First instance of this I’ve seen, I can’t think of anything else beyond the excellent suggestions @Edhawk gave you (which IMO should have worked). You could always try again on a different freshly formatted SSD, unhook your other drives to eliminate any conflict, and see what happens. Really though updating to 6.8 doesn’t gain you much of anything once the boot process completes so it’s up to you. You can also always wait for future releases and see if that breaks anything loose.

Sorry nothing more from me at this time, that was my best shot.
@Edhawk before I embark on this new adventure would you please, if time avails, review what I thought was a "working" 0.6.7 SMBIOS 14.2 config.plist? Depopulated the personal data of course.

Assume no screen attached iGpu. As further info I can't mount / without getting a "77" error. :banghead:

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• config.plist
    27 KB · Views: 86
what I thought was a "working" 0.6.7 SMBIOS 14.2 config.plist?
Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 09.07.00.png

Unsupported in Big Sur.

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 09.10.08.png

Screenshot 2021-04-21 at 09.13.33.png

Apologies for not being specific. Big Sur was a “test bed”.

Working disk is Mojave. Have upgraded Carbon Copy of Mojave to Catalina to test. Using SMBIOS 14.2 ATM.

Question relates to trying to rebuild a useable Mojave / Catalina. As it stands I’m aiming for usable Catalina.

Big Sur can wait as it obviously needs a different SMBIOS. Which now due to my test disks I’m wondering if that is my issue (being a hack at Hackintosh).

EDIT - Big Sur still boots for some strange I have NFI reason despite all the other reasons (Maybe there some clue there?).

In the end, I’m happy to drop the experiments. Just wanting a working OS that I can work with. Mojave was happy for years with Clover. Maybe a I should have just stopped there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back