Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As always, it is advisable to read vit9696 and Khronokernel messages, although this time they are short texts which is a shame because I always learn a lot from them.

Changes from OC 0.6.6 to 0.6.7 are easy for the end user. But improvements and modifications in the code are many.

Differences.pdf

In the configuration PDF there are a lot of modifications, almost all of them are corrections of typographical errors or improvements in the wording of the text. Remember that the text that is removed is in red and the one that is added is in blue.

Plist config
  • UEFI> Audio> ResetTrafficClass key added: to be used with AppleHDA.kext, those of us who use AppleALC.kext leave it False.
  • UEFI> Input> KeyMergeThresholdType key removed: no longer needed.
  • UEFI> Output> GopPassThrough key added: handling of the graphics protocol used in console, it is usually False, it must be True only in BIOS that do not implement GOP (Graphics Output Protocol).
  • UEFi> Quirks> ActivateHpetSupport key added: enable HPET support on older machines, usually False.
  • PlatformInfo> NVRAM> SystemSerialNumber key added: write the variable in NVRAM, most of us we leave this section of PlatformInfo empty and only fill the Generic section. It can be safely ignored in most cases.
XhciPortLimit

There is an important warning for users who have this key set to True: a bug may occur in beta versions of 11.3. It does not affect users who have XhciPortLimit in False and USB port map. It seems to be corrected as of macOS 11.3 Beta 3 (20E5196f).

Tools

ocpasswordgen added: to generate passwords for OpenCore.

Last edited:
The XhciPortLimit bug is so severe that can cause a boot-loop every time. It is highly recommended to create your own USB mapping before the release of macOS 11.3, or you will have to wait for the solution.

XhciPortLimit

There is an important warning for users who have this key set to True: a bug may occur in beta versions of 11.3. It does not affect users who have XhciPortLimit in False and USB port map.
Excellent and useful summary as usual Milluco. The issue with XhciPortLimit is how USBInjectAll.kext interacts with some new code in MacOS 11.3. From the install guide:
The reason being is that UsbInjectAll reimplements builtin macOS functionality without proper current tuning. It is much cleaner to just describe your ports in a single plist-only kext, which will not waste runtime memory and such
It is possible that the Apple code will change before release but wouldn't count on it. Foilks using that kext should take note as currently their systems will go into a boot loop with 11.3 betas.

@Bustycat @agrajag
There are still quite a few people who use USBInjectAll and XhciPortLimit, especially owners of less frequently used or less compatible macOS motherboards.
As you say, they should not update to BS 11.3 until a solution is found.

OpenCore won't set NVRAM if a value already exists for that certain key (ie OpenCore won't overwrite boot-args if it already exists, even if the value it'd be overwritten with would be different) in order to save on flash wear. The intent from what I understand is that the NVRAM values in your config.plist are "defaults".

So yes, as others have pointed out, you may need to reset NVRAM to see a change in the version within NVRAM

Edit: Wait, I thought someone asked, oops. Thats what I get for not reading past the last couple posts :crazy:

Dumb question but if I have 0.6.6 running nicely can I upgrade to 0.6.7 by just replacing new components? Or do I need to go through the whole process of building EFI contents again?

Dumb question but if I have 0.6.6 running nicely can I upgrade to 0.6.7 by just replacing new components? Or do I need to go through the whole process of building EFI contents again?
Hi there.

Check you need to upgrade OC. The upgrade process is simple but there are new conflicts discovered if you are running public-beta versions of macOS. For example with OpenCore's XhciPortLimit quirk and USBInjectAll.kext. Not important if you have USBPorts.kext in place.

Remember OC is still in beta and major changes can take place. Go for it if you enjoy being on the bleeding edge, but if your hackintosh is running fine as it is, why fix what isn't broken?

What worried me was when you said "I have 0.6.6 running nicely".

:)

Last edited:
The normal procedures are replacing 3 core files, updating config.plist, and checking if kexts are the latest.

As always, it is advisable to read vit9696 and Khronokernel messages, although this time they are short texts which is a shame because I always learn a lot from them.

Changes from OC 0.6.6 to 0.6.7 are easy for the end user. But improvements and modifications in the code are many.

Differences.pdf

In the configuration PDF there are a lot of modifications, almost all of them are corrections of typographical errors or improvements in the wording of the text. Remember that the text that is removed is in red and the one that is added is in blue.

Plist config
  • UEFI> Audio> ResetTrafficClass key added: to be used with AppleHDA.kext, those of us who use AppleALC.kext leave it False.
  • UEFI> Input> KeyMergeThresholdType key removed: no longer needed.
  • UEFI> Output> GopPassThrough key added: handling of the graphics protocol used in console, it is usually False, it must be True only in BIOS that do not implement GOP (Graphics Output Protocol).
  • UEFi> Quirks> ActivateHpetSupport key added: enable HPET support on older machines, usually False.
  • PlatformInfo> NVRAM> SystemSerialNumber key added: write the variable in NVRAM, most of us we leave this section of PlatformInfo empty and only fill the Generic section.
XhciPortLimit

There is an important warning for users who have this key set to True: a bug may occur in beta versions of 11.3. It does not affect users who have XhciPortLimit in False and USB port map.

Tools

ocpasswordgen added: to generate passwords for OpenCore.
Yes, thank you for this helpful breakdown. I have never dealt with the Tools folder before, and am unclear what to do with the addition of ocpasswordgen. I don't understand the instructions in the Skylake Dortania Guide:

Tools​

Used for running OC debugging tools like the shell, ProperTree's snapshot function will add these for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back