Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
OpenCore developers publish with each new version a Differences.pdf document detailing the differences between new and previous version. It is advisable to consult this document.

What I'm going to do here is to summarize those differences, the ones that affect most of us who have a hackintosh, so that those who change to the new version have a well-formed config.plist file that does not cause errors when booting.

In Booter there is a new section, Patch, to make binary patches, it is an Array that is filled with keys of type Dictionary that describe each patch. The patches are accompanied by a number of properties. For many of us, the best option is to leave Patch without content (empty).

In Booter / Quirks 2 keys are added or modified:
AllowRelocationBlock, boolean, useful for old systems (10.7 or earlier), we leave it in False
AvoidRuntimeDefrag, boolean, useful for most firmwares. We leave it in True.

In Misc / Security a new key is added:
BlacklistAppleUpdate, boolean, required by Big Sur where the NVRAM variable run-efi-updater does not work well. We leave it in True if we use Big Sur, although it can also be left in Catalina.

In Entries / Tools 2 properties are added to each tool:
RealPath, boolean, to pass the full path to the tool, useful only in tools that need external files to work. We leave it in False.
TextMode, boolean, to run the tool in text mode instead of graphical mode. We leave it in False.

In UEFi / Audio, PlayChime key has changed its type, from boolean to string. Options are:
Auto - checks the NVRAM to see if the chime is set but not muted
Disabled - disables chime unconditionally
Enabled - enables chime unconditionally.
It can be left empty.

Last edited:
This is a great idea to do this given the pace of development still with OpenCore.

I think that if you have set up the boot chime that the correct setting for PlayChime was the Auto option, which checks the NVRAM to see if the chime is set but not muted. I have trouble following some of the technical guide that says the failsafe setting is empty, but unclear what that means in all cases.

This is a great idea to do this given the pace of development still with OpenCore.

I think that if you have set up the boot chime that the correct setting for PlayChime was the Auto option, which checks the NVRAM to see if the chime is set but not muted. I have trouble following some of the technical guide that says the failsafe setting is empty, but unclear what that means in all cases.
Yes, it is correct to put Auto as you say, because Enabled tries to make it play without conditions and Disabled also silences it without conditions. I will correct the original text according to your comment, it is more didactic.

The OpenCore guide always chooses a FailSafe option but in practice it is not mandatory to follow it, it is assumed that this option is safe and does not cause failures but, depending on the hardware and the operating system, it may be necessary to choose another option.
For example, in AvoidRuntimeDefrag the FailSafe option is false but underneath it says "Note: Most types of firmware, apart from Apple and VMware, need this quirk" and most of us choose true.

@agrajag you are a veteran in the forum. You beat me for 7 months. Things have changed a lot since 2010 (for better). Regards!!!

@agrajag Things have changed a lot since 2010 (for better). Regards!!!
I was looking back at notes and see I built a first hack in early 2008 (GA-945GCM-S2C w/ dual core) and since then P35–>P55–>Z77–>Z97–>Z370 machines. i think the TonyMac site started 2009-10 when I had the P35 machine. The earlier machines were a lot trickier to manage than now, even though Apple has been making things harder as well. I think this current one will be the last. Hoping to hold out for the next Apple Silicon iteration.

Has anyone noticed problems with Remote Management after updating Opencore to 0.6.4? It seems I now need to restart my home hackintosh after first booting-up in the morning in order for it to accept an Apple Remote Desktop connection from a co-worker at my remote office location. The same login and password setup has successfully been used for years and worked right up until I updated to OC 0.6.4 two days ago. Now, both mornings I've had to restart after booting up (i.e., a cold start) in order for my co-worker to connect to me.

Has anyone noticed problems with Remote Management after updating Opencore to 0.6.4? It seems I now need to restart my home hackintosh after first booting-up in the morning in order for it to accept an Apple Remote Desktop connection from a co-worker at my remote office location. The same login and password setup has successfully been used for years and worked right up until I updated to OC 0.6.4 two days ago. Now, both mornings I've had to restart after booting up (i.e., a cold start) in order for my co-worker to connect to me.
I haven't used Apple Remote Desktop so I can't tell you anything.

You have to open a new thread on this topic, this thread we are in has another topic, that way we keep the threads organized and asking for help is easier to get.

Thanks, will do !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back