Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Gaming 7
CPU
Intel 6700K
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX-980
Most posts I find claim installing a kext into S/L/E is bad. However, the KextBeast utility only mentions that one location (or L/E). Is there a way to prep my USB stick to put a kext somewhere else? I tried copying the kext to EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other but got a kernel panic when the installer started to load.

I'm trying to add the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext file that RehabMan's NVMe patch generated. There are several other kexts in the EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder:

AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
FakeSMC.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

Most posts I find claim installing a kext into S/L/E is bad.

They are wrong.
For all kexts you need, you should install to the system volume.
Installing into /S/L/E or /L/E is the same result though.
Of course, on 10.11 and later, you can/should install to /Library/Extensions, as per Apple recommendations.

I'm trying to add the HackrNVMeFamily-10_12_2.kext file that RehabMan's NVMe patch generated. There are several other kexts in the EFI/EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other folder:

AppleIntelE1000e.kext
AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext
FakeSMC.kext
RealtekRTL8111.kext
USBInjectAll.kext

Unless you're using the class-code spoof for your NVMe device, adding HackrNVMeFamily to EFI/Clover/kexts is nonsense. It cannot co-exist with IONVMeFamily. And the only reason to inject HackrNVMeFamily is for recovery or install partition scenarios. In both of those scenarios IONVMeFamily will exist and cause panic if HackrNVMeFamily is also loading.

Of course, if you're doing the class-code spoof, then it is perfectly fine to inject HackrNVMeFamily for the installer/recovery scenario, as well as installing it to the system volume for normal booting (either to /L/E or /S/L/E).

They are wrong.
Of course, on 10.11 and later, you can/should install to /Library/Extensions, as per Apple recommendations.
rehabman--what is the process for installing a kext to /L/E? drag and drop then repair permissions?

thanks

rehabman--what is the process for installing a kext to /L/E? drag and drop then repair permissions?

thanks

You cannot install kexts with Finder. It does not copy with correct owner/permissions.

I always use Terminal to install kexts (the need for GUI tools for some tasks is overrated):
Code:
sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions

It is a good idea to check that kernel cache can be built without errors (it actually builds automatically, but unless you look at the system logs, you don't have any idea whether the kext you just installed is causing errors for kernel cache):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Or shortcut (10.11.x and later):
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

There are tools such as KextBeast (and others) that can be used to install kexts to /L/E.

You cannot install kexts with Finder. It does not copy with correct owner/permissions.

I always use Terminal to install kexts (the need for GUI tools for some tasks is overrated):
Code:
sudo cp -R KextToInstall.kext /Library/Extensions

It is a good idea to check that kernel cache can be built without errors (it actually builds automatically, but unless you look at the system logs, you don't have any idea whether the kext you just installed is causing errors for kernel cache):
Code:
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions && sudo kextcache -u /

Or shortcut (10.11.x and later):
Code:
sudo kextcache -i /

There are tools such as KextBeast (and others) that can be used to install kexts to /L/E.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
They are wrong.

Hi RehabMan,
does this mean that we shouldn't install kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/others?
or should we install in both L/E and EFI?

Thanks!

Hi RehabMan,
does this mean that we shouldn't install kexts in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/others?
or should we install in both L/E and EFI?

Thanks!

Only install the minimal essential kexts that you need to boot and operate the bootloader into the /EFI folder.

Then all the kexts you need go into /Library/Extensions.

Reasoning is given in post #2 here. Post #1 "Preparing Essential Kexts" section should also tell you what is essential.

I install FakeSMC.kext into /Library/Extensions is kernel panic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back