Contribute
Register

How to move existing Yosemite to SSD that already has Windows installed on legacy motherboard withou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
P45
CPU
E8400
Graphics
ATI4300
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
This instruction assumes the following:

1. You have legacy non-UEFI motherboard.
  2. You have SDD on which you want to install two systems: Windows and Mac OS 10.10.
  3. You already have Mac OS 10.10 installed on another disk.
  4. You have Carbon Copy Cloner installed on your existing Mac OS.
  5. I could not configure boot-loader for Mac OS to be on SSD itself. Therefore, after install, to boot to Mac OS on SSD you will use the loader you used before:
    1. Either your loader installed on the disk where old Mac OS is installed. With it, when booting, you point to the new installation of Mac OS on SSD.
    2. Or you boot from Bootable USB with Mac OS 10.10 installation and point to new Mac OS on SSD (as I do).

Steps:

1. Make sure you selected AHCI in BIOS settings for disks configuration. If your Windows was installed with IDE setting, look for instructions, how to re-configure Windows to start with AHCI (need to change some storahci or msahci key in registry).
  2. Under Windows make sure there is one free partition where Mac OS will be installed. If there is no one yet, create it in PC > Manage > Disk Management. Format it as exFat or Fat32. Give it some distinguished name.
    Optionally, since there is some info that for booting from SSD (the same) disk itself, Mac OS should be on the first partition. I cannot confirm if it is required, because I could not configure boot-loader for Mac OS to be on SSD itself. In this guide, I’m using Bootable Mac OS USB to load to Mac OS.
Note that I’m not creating so called EFI partition 200MB, because I’m leaving disk in MBR format, which does not support EFI System partitions. This works fine for me, since I’m not installing boot loader on EFI partition and not using restore feature for Mac OS.

1. Under your existing Mac OS, go to Disk Utility and re-format new partition from Fat to HFS+.
  2. On Mac OS, using CCC program copy whole partition with your existing Mac OS to HFS+ partition on SSD. I my case, for 36 GB it took about 25 minutes.
    Note that Disk Utility refuses to copy current system partition, but CCC does it well.
  3. That’s it. Re-start and load with your old boot loader but this time select Mac OS on SSD disk. To load to Windows, just point it in boot loader, or select SSD in BIOS for booting.

Note about installing boot-loader on SSD
I tried installing Clover boot-loader, but got the following issue with using it:
After loading to Mac OS from it, I got my DVI port turned off and monitor goes to “no signal” state. Mac OS still worked thought ). Although, I tried a number of suggested fixes, I could not resolve this issue.
I've installed Clover as described on Clover Installation Guide with Bootloader = Install boot0ss in MBR option.

Last edited:
You should not be having the boot loader problem unless the drive needs firmware update to run OS X - some SSDs need it, some do not.

If you are dual booting Windows / OS X on a legacy system without UEFI, then you should be using Chimera/Chameleon boot loader, not Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back