Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming
CPU
i7 8700K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 TI SC2 Gaming ICX
Greetings,

I have a triple boot of Catalina, High Sierra and Windows on separate SSD's. Catalina is working with UHD 630 Graphics, HS is working with my GPU and Windows 10 works with both. I set Catalina's EFI as default one, and am trying to boot from it. I am able to boot to Windows and Catalina from it, but HS can not finish the boot and restarts without any meaningful info (at least I am not able to see it).

I have been experimenting with my config.plist file and figured that changing Devices/IntelGFX from 0x59168086 (which works with Catalina) to 0x0 (which worked before with HS) successfully boot HS with running GPU graphics, but then Catalina's UHD graphics does not work. Also I am able to boot to working HS with GPU graphics, with choosing to boot from HS's drive, on the startup. I am OK with booting that way, but if there is a way to set configuration in the way that allows booting from the same drive and getting desired results (UHD 630 on Catalina and GPU on Win10 and HS) I would like to know it.

In all testing, when wanting to boot with GPU graphics (HS or Windows), I connect monitor to GPU with DP, and when I want to use UHD graphics (Catalina), I connect monitor to motherboard's DP.

Do you maybe know if it is possible to use the same clover configuration with both HS with GPU graphics and Catalina with UHD 630 graphics (Windows works in all cases :D)? Also I am not sure if this is possible, but is there maybe a way to set up my computer that I don't have to replug my DP cable, i. e. that Catalina maybe works with UHD 630 graphics connected through the GPU? My Catalina's Clover folder is in the attachment.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2 MB · Views: 92
@icoric,

Unfortunately you can not have conditional configuration elements in Clovers config.plist. The best way to get around this limitation is to create two config files in /EFI/Clover each with the required options :-
  • config.plist = configuration file for Catalina
  • config-HS.plist - configuration file for High Sierra
By default Clover will use the Catalina configuration file (config.plist)

When you want to boot High Sierra goto the "Options" menu in Clover and select "Configs"
This is what that sub-menu looks like on my system :-

screenshot1.png

By default "config" (= config.plist) will always be selected.

In you case "config-last" would be named "config-HS" (= config-HS.plist)
Use the cursor keys and enter key to select "config-HS"

Return to the main Clover menu by pressing <ESC> a few times and then select the "High Sierra" boot entry.

Easy Peasy ...

Using the Options -> Configs option in Clover is a good way to aways be able to boot a working configuration while you are experimenting with a new config, in my case I always create a copy of the last working config.plist and call it config-last.plist.

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Thank you for a quick and thorough answer. That is what I will do then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back