Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K @4.2-4.4GHz
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
power_management.pngOne little annoyance with "BIOS" based motherboards, at least in the case of Gigabyte models, but potentially also on a lot of other brands is when you go to shut your system down, it power off and then right back on again. It turns out that in most cases this should be really easy to solve and it’s related to a single setting in the BIOS.

Often the simplest solutions are the ones that are overlooked. In the cases of Gigabyte’s 5 and 6-series chipset based motherboards with BIOS, you have go into the Power Management Settings and find an option called PME Event Wake Up. If you disable this, the system should no longer power itself back on when shut down from within the OS. It might also be worth disabling the Power On by Ring setting, but this shouldn’t have any effect as such.

The only downside of doing this is if you reply on Wake on LAN as this would be the equivalent setting to Wake on LAN in the UEFI based motherboards, a setting which has the same effect when it comes to powering off the system. Disable it and your system will power off just fine, but Wake on LAN doesn’t work.

Hopefully this will help a lot of you that have experienced issues with your system not switching off properly. We’d like to hear from you in the comments if this has solved your problem, especially on non-Gigabyte boards, although it’s possible that the specific setting is called something else in different BIOSes.

Image courtesy of jzelectronic.de

Last edited by a moderator:
Should the HPET mode not be set to 64 bit?

I have a GA-Z68XP-UD4 (F4), my settings are exaclty as shown above and can't shut down properly. Sometimes it automatically reboots, other times it will turn everything off but the lights and fans keep working forever until I force it to shut down by holding the power button...

I was thinking about upgrading my firmware, I had to downgrade it at the time from F5 'cause the DSDT wasn't out yet... I don't know if it would help.

I'd also like to mention something I have asked on the forums and had no answer : I've been holding back the 10,7,4 update forever 'cause I tried once and had to re-install from scratch... Any Idea on a safe way to do it?

Doesn't work for my... but I have a 4 series (GA-Z68XP-UD4 F4)... Everytime I shut-down, wether it reboots or the screen goes black but the computer fans and lights stay on until I force shut down by holding power... My settings are exactly the same as above except a few options missing in my bios...

One question, at first I downgraded from I don't remember if it was F6 or F5, to F4 'Cause DSDT's were not available, would it help to upgrade back and install a new DSDT?

Doesn't work for my... but I have a 4 series (GA-Z68XP-UD4 F4)... Everytime I shut-down, wether it reboots or the screen goes black but the computer fans and lights stay on until I force shut down by holding power... My settings are exactly the same as above except a few options missing in my bios...

One question, at first I downgraded from I don't remember if it was F6 or F5, to F4 'Cause DSDT's were not available, would it help to upgrade back and install a new DSDT?

I have Intel DH61WW motherboard. and after updating to ML I am having the same issue where screen goes off but fans and lights stay on.

I have a GA-Z68XP-UD4 (F4), my settings are exaclty as shown above and can't shut down properly. Sometimes it automatically reboots, other times it will turn everything off but the lights and fans keep working forever until I force it to shut down by holding the power button...

I was thinking about upgrading my firmware, I had to downgrade it at the time from F5 'cause the DSDT wasn't out yet... I don't know if it would help.

I'd also like to mention something I have asked on the forums and had no answer : I've been holding back the 10,7,4 update forever 'cause I tried once and had to re-install from scratch... Any Idea on a safe way to do it?

Well, it could be a BIOS revision issue, but I wasn't using the latest one. The board in question that I tested on is the GA-Z68XP-D3 and it worked just fine.

We've got a BIOS to UEFI upgrade guide coming.

As for 10.7.4, go for it, it's what I was using on the test system.

This is good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Problem with GA-X58A-UD3R ver 2.0 FF, same setting as shown above, if system go sleep once time, then shutdown ok. But if I let system sleep two times or more, then I can't shutdown properly. I never have this problem with Lion 10.7.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back