Contribute
Register

How To Make a Generic Driver For Any Card Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
what if my sd card doesn't show in system information? My laptop is a Lenovo T410s.
Tnx

Hi everybody, i found this cool way to make your USB/Internal Card reader 3rd party read your SD-Card in properly, this is how, :

1. Find AppleStorageDrivers.kext on your S/L/E/

2. Copy AppleStorageDrivers.kext to your Desktop or everywhere you want it to

3. Right Click and Show Package Contents on AppleStorageDrivers.kext and browse to Contents/Plugin and search for AppleUSBCardReader.kext and then, Right Click and Show Package Contents on AppleUSBCardReader.kext

4. You will find info.plist inside Contents, but wait, by default, Mountain Lion is hide this Contents, you should first to make visible all the invisible file by using terminal command or any other application tools, if you want to use terminal command, type this at your Terminal :

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles 1
press enter/return

and type this again
killall Finder

press enter/return

(if you want to back to default again, make the "1" as "0")

5. And now we're back to our bussiness, after you show the invisible Info.plist, edit it with your favourite plist editor, im using PlistEdit Pro (trial version), but i'm recommend to use PlistEdit Pro, 'cus im using this when im editting the string.

6. In PlistEdit Pro find IOKitPersonalities and you should find Physical Interconnect Location on AppleSDCardReader tree, edit the Physical Interconnect Location on Value section as External

7. Next, find Vendor Identification and change on the Value sections as "Anything Name That you Want", i use my USB Card name "Genesys Logic", if you dont know how to find your USB Card Reader name, change it to Generic or what its on your System Report on the USB Section

8. Next, go to Apple_Internal_SD_Card_Reader_1_00 and edit the string on idProduct and idVendor to your decimal idProduct and idVendor

8a. find your idProduct and idVendor Hex on System Information and convert it to decimal, you can convert it @ http://www.stringfunction.com/hex-decimal.html

9. Go to Apple_Internal_SD_Card_Reader_2_00 and edit the string on idproduct and idVendor to your decimal idProduct and idVendor

9a. find your idProduct and idVendor on System Information and convert it to decimal, you can convert it @ http://www.stringfunction.com/hex-decimal.html

10. Don't forget to change value at Physical Interconnect Location on Apple_Internal_SD_Card_Reader_1_00 and Apple_Internal_SD_Card_Reader_2_00 as External

12. As usually, don't forget backup the original files if anything goes wrong :)

13. Enjoy your native Card Reader

and this is the screenshot :

View attachment 33266View attachment 33267View attachment 33268View attachment 33269View attachment 33270View attachment 33271View attachment 33272

Im on ML 10.8.2 and credit also thanks belong to nikkpap @IM and i'm using a cheap external USB Card Reader, it cost 2$ only :)

No luck on Mojave with AKASA USB3.0 Internal card reader. Was recognised before in USB as USB 3.0 Card reader. After the edit it dissapeared unfortunately. Connected with USB to the motherboard. Any suggestions?

No luck on Mojave with AKASA USB3.0 Internal card reader. Was recognised before in USB as USB 3.0 Card reader. After the edit it dissapeared unfortunately. Connected with USB to the motherboard. Any suggestions?
I am struggling with the same problem, my workaround is the fact that I dual boot. I just move pictures into shared folder in Windows, then import into photos when I reboot to mac. It's dirty but it works. Plan on using folder actions to automate the mac side one of these days.

For catalina compatibility?

i dont know if i did it right but it didnt work for me and gave me tons of errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back