Contribute
Register

How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover

What about updating to 10.10.1 when using Clover, is it safe? Do we have to do anything special? Thanks guys!

Need Help Bad! :(

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

I get this with EVERYTHING!!! Boot OS X from Yosemite, Boot OS X from Install OS X Yosemite, Boot Recovery from Recovery HD. I've been pulling my hair out trying to get in with boot args, -v on everything so I can see, NOTHING works on ANYTHING, i've done -x, -f, -F, nv_disable=1 PCIrootUID=0, PCIrootUID=1, and more. This is so frustrating because I was there, it was up, it was good..

I followed the guide extremely carefully and was able to load yosemite, after I had yosemite on my ssd I continued to follow the guide, got the bootloader, made sure the config.plist was good to go, 10.10 kexts were good, etc. I used the standard config.plist on my USB and the only thing I had to do with that was add in nv_disable=1 because I have a 970 hooked up, but that was fine, it worked as it should.

I know I must have messed up somewhere in the post installation but I don't understand where, I mean I followed the guide to the damn pixel, my only thought is maybe I made the wrong choice with the UEFI-capable or BIOS-only systems options ... but I can't get back to the OS to make any changes ><

I've pulled the USB out and double checked it on my other computer (which I'm on now) and its the same thing that worked to get to post installation. but now I can't boot off the USB either, that also gives the Mac OS version: Not yet set.

I'm new to this and I'm hoping someone with some experience is going to laugh at me because the solution is easy, I really don't want to have to start from scratch again, who knows how many times my "Apple ID has been used to sign into your iCloud account on a new computer" the past few days. I finally decided to stop trying to migrate from chimera to clover and just follow the guide in hopes of not starting all over again...

I can post whatever information is needed to help the issue.

My Build:
MB: GA-z97x-Gaming-GT
CPU: i7-4790k
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 SC
MEMORY: 32g Hyperx Savage 1866
SSD: Samsung 850 PRO

edit: I just wanted to note that while I was at work earlier I skimmed this entire thread in preparation to jump full bore into clover. If I missed something I'm sorry, but I have ran searches in the thread and on tonymac and Google for the Mac os version not yet set issue, a lot of talk about it being related to dual boots between windows and the motherboard storing that information, but I've never booted windows on this machine, haven't booted windows since '07 come think of it...

Hi all,
I'm having problem getting the clover installer to work. I've had mixed results so far between using legacy install and uefi. First UEFI wouldn't work at all, then legacy worked (using the USB Clover test drive thread). I wanted to move from test drive to using clover as my full time boot loader, so I can get full functionality on Yosemite, and I've been stuck for more than an a week. I've been trying to post over in the alternative bootloaders section, and no one is seeing my post.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate...s-cant-get-usb-installer-boot.html#post926353

In any case, the point I'm at now is as follows:

UEFI method followed, boots existing Yosemite installation from USB boot to Yosemite, no problem
Same USB drive, I try and boot the Yosemite installer, and it get's to DSMOS has arrived, and then I get a blank screen. I've searched for this, and most everything I read says this has to do with the Nvidia drivers.

What I've tried:

Tried with kext-dev-mode=1. - same result
Changed Intel Injection to NO. Changed Nvidia Injection to YES. - same result
Changed Nvidia Injection to NO. - same result
Disconnected second monitor - same result
Tried nv_disable=1 - same result
Tried running smbios with all field empty - same result
Tried running smbios with iMac 12,2 settings (sandy bridge), nv_disable=1 - same result
Tried running smbios with iMac 13,2 settings, (Ivy bridge), nv_disable=1 - same result

My smbios attempts were based upon this post:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/alternate...black-after-dsmos-has-arrived.html#post894445

I have a Nvidia GeForce GTX570HD card
I have a Yukon Ethernet PCI card (apple native), no ethernet kext requrired
I just installed an Apple Bcm94360cd WLAN Bluetooth 4.0 card, with a PCI-E adapter. Bluetooth and WiFi are now native (no kexts required), should work with Handoff and Continuity on Yosemite

One thing I've also noticed is that there are two partitions on the USB drive, EFI and Install OSX Yosemite. They both have the Clover directories. I've tried to edit either or config.plist using Clover Configurator, and sometimes it's hard to tell which .plist it's following. I've tried to change bootloaders to determine which one it uses, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I've also tried booting from the two different options that my BIOS sees, UEFI: Sandisk 8.02 and Sandisk 8.02, and again, the only difference is that the UEFI comes up much faster to the bootloader.

I've also noticed that the OSX Yosemite installer takes FOREVER to get to DSMOS has arrived...at least 5 minutes. Is this normal?

I have a lengthy post 2 posts back that I still can't seem to resolve trying a few more things like DSDT=null, SMBIOS=null, erasing all data in the smbios via options in boot.

I'm at the point where I just want to erase everything and start over unless someone knows how to fix the Mac os version:Not yet set issue I'm having (refer to previous post for that in detail, 2 posts back).

How can I erase my SSD so I can start over with the clover USB?

As I mentioned in my previous post the clover USB worked brilliantly to get me to post installation, but something went wrong in my post installation (I'm thinking my choosing UEFI boot was a bad choice for my MB, I followed the guide EXACTLY and thats the only thing where there was a real decision to be made, I think I choose wrong. motherboard GA-z97x-gaming-gt spec sheet on website lists: AMI EUFI BIOS, so I was a bit confused but I figured it was UEFI capable...)
SO that leads to me to think the SSD mounted EFI is bad, and for whatever reason the USB won't boot over it, but since the USB worked so perfectly to begin with I feel it will work if I can just delete the SSD.

Am I just a complete clover idiot and am missing something?

@sballer are you getting a kernel panic before the mac os not yet set? Post a screenshot of the entire screen, its often messages before that give you a clue to whats wrong not necessarily the last one.

defbref, you don't know how excited and grateful I am for your reply to my issue! Thank you!

I'm not by the hack at the moment but I have one shot of what you asked for, depending on the boot location and flags used I have seen some differences but they are more or less the same and typically start with acpi/ioplatform expert. If I remember correctly this was an attempt from the usb without anything special, after trying a million attempts with nv_disable=1 I figured I'd try with the nvidia driver.

image.jpg

@sballer are you getting a kernel panic before the mac os not yet set? Post a screenshot of the entire screen, its often messages before that give you a clue to whats wrong not necessarily the last one.

Here is another one, this is trying to boot off the Recovery HD.

recovery attempt.jpg

Am I correct in thinking the issue is with the panic related to the driver for ACPI...IOPlatformExpert ? If so do you happen to know the fix?

I'm wondering if the fix for this has to do with the optional steps like step 9 in post installation... (Optional) Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and add DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml

I'm not sure what this step means, but I know I'm having issues with ACPI that I don't know how to fix.
What do you do in this step, where do I find the DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml files to place in it?

Can someone explain this step, and how to do it?

Hello guys, i have a problem here.
I used this method all the way and i eventually got to the login screen and system was able to start. But there are few issues:
1) i`m able to boot only using my USB. Otherwise i will get boot0 error
2) after booting from USB, and getting to the login screen my mouse and keyboard are not working. I have to unplug and replug them several times in order to make them work. Someone here suggested to check PCI devices in clover options, but it worked the same way afterwards. Bluetooth is not working as well.

I didn`t even start to work on my iMessage and iCloud, they are obviously not working too. But my wifi is working okay.

Im a bit overwhelmed with with all the information and i just understand what i have to do with all this config.plist and others. I got Mavericks pretty much working OOB with just few additional steps, now i don't know what to do (I'm not a good terminal user)

btw, i have upgraded from working mavericks system with keeping all the settings and data.
motherboard - gigabyte ga-z87m-hd3, i7 4700, nvidia 660gtx
Thanks.

edit: may be the problem is in my previous installation: i used chimera. It could keep older boot loader so there is conflict (of course i did nothing to migrate from chimera to clover, just installed everything straightforward) My this be an issue?
also, should i do something in bios?
edit2: i got my iMessage actually working and I'm logged in iCloud. But my "device cannot be verified" says the App Store. Should i do something with "how to fix iMessage bug"?
edit3: well, lol. I understand what i did wrong: i had to simply switch boot device order in bios settings. No my system boots successfully using clover. But i have to manually press "boot mac os x" which is really annoying, is there any way to make it automatically boot into the OS? But i still got issue with usb devices. For example i connect my audio interface roland-quad capture and everything is stuck. Im unable to do anything. Unplugging doesn't work. I have to reboot
edit4: So, in the end, what I've got:
  • my system is booting fine with clover now
  • I have an access to iMessage and iCloud, but "device cannot be verified" says the App Store, so i have no access to the store.
  • everything is wrong with usb now only. If I connect my audio interface, nothings happens (few hours later it would have ended up with frozen system). Looks like it just doesn't want to work with the usb. All the light on AI when I'm on clover screen, but when OS starting up, AI is dead, no sound. Strangely i have to wait 1 minute in the login screen in order to use keyboard when AI is plugged in, otherwise keyboard and bt dongle just don't work. When its unplugged all other usb devices are on from the start.
  • Seems like i have no access to any other usb device but keyboard, mouse and bt dongle. When i connect usb Creative Headset or my midi/usb piano nothing happens. There are some lights on, but system doesn't see them

Finally i got usb worked. I needed to install https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-generic-usb3/downloads using KextWizzard. Now seems like i got everything working just fine.
Thanks for the great guide. Still need to get an access to the App Store, but like, whatever, I'm exhausted, lol.

And i got app store fixed by following this thread http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...nized-app-store-after-yosemite-upgrade-2.html

Back