Contribute
Register

How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I had a working Unibeast/Multibeast install of Yosemite but decided I wanted imessage/continuity to work so I thought I would give Clover a try. After a couple of days of trying to do a UEFI boot and giving up, I went with the BIOS method and followed this guilde and successfully got my system re-installed using clover from USB and can boot into it from USB with no problems (posting from it right now).

But, the problem comes when trying to boot from HD. I installed Clover and used the same nvidia-config.plist file and kexts. Installed Clover to my Macintosh HD, but I can't get it to boot. It goes to a black screen with a - in the upper left corner for a while then displays a message saying "Not Found".

Can anyone help me get this to boot from HD successfully? Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Mobo with i7-3770k and nVidia 560Ti.

Hi Guys!

I have a perfect install of Mavericks including iMessage. Most of the new features of Yosemite don't really interest me, but I do like the look of Yosemite and I would like to upgrade.

I have a spare SSD, and I installed Yosemite with Chimera but had some problems and since iMessage was pretty much out of the question, I decided to erase the disk and do a Clover install.

I managed to install and had it running with s few issues. While trying to fix the issues I messed it up and decided to reformat and try again.
Before I do, I need some advice.

I have the Gigabyte GA-Z87N wifi motherboard using both onboard sound and video.
The Tonymac install guide confuses me. It says for Gigabyte 8 series motherboards I should use the Legacy Mode install. Can you please tell me what that entails? I don't see that term mentioned on the Clover installer. If Legacy means the BIOS install, which options would I select on the Clover installer?

Also, would I select the HD4600 plist from the selections at the bottom?

Is there anything else I need to do or focus on when attempting to install?

Do I install and then see what works or doesn't and then try to fix the issues one at a time?

I'm relatively new here and this is my first Hackintosh build.

I do appreciate any guidance or assistance, especially if you have done an install with the same motherboard.

Thanks again guys!

Len

Hi Guys!

I have a perfect install of Mavericks including iMessage. Most of the new features of Yosemite don't really interest me, but I do like the look of Yosemite and I would like to upgrade.

I have a spare SSD, and I installed Yosemite with Chimera but had some problems and since iMessage was pretty much out of the question, I decided to erase the disk and do a Clover install.

I do appreciate any guidance or assistance, especially if you have done an install with the same motherboard.

Thanks again guys!

Len

Was in same boat except I didn't notice any problems with Chimera install.

After a week at Yosemite with Clover, I can say that it will either go easy (as reported by many), or it won't. Clover is at least an order of magnitude more complex than Chimera. I've learned a lot, but OTOH, I'm still not back to the point I was at with Yosemite/Chimera. Guess it depends on whether you're lucky or need a hobby.

I sure don't need another hobby :)
But I would like a working Yosemite install with Clover.
I will keep at it :)

Len

I made it through to the other side, guys! I followed the instructions exactly (for a clean Yosemite install) and once I got everything setup to my liking with MultiBeast, I got the Customer Code prompt. After 70 minutes on hold (what do you expect - it's a Saturday!), they got me squared away. Yosemite + iMessage + FaceTime. All is well.

Thanks as always to this site for being so fastidious about keeping dead-simple guides current!

That's great!
Can you give me a step by step please?
We have similar hardware and this is my first Clover install.
At what point did you use Multibeast? Did you also use Clover Configurator?
What plist did you use for the USB install?
What did you check off on Clover for the initial USB boot loader configuration?
Also, can you explain what they mean by Legacy install in the first part of the guide?

thank you!

Len

But I would like a working Yosemite install with Clover.
From your profile it looks like you're just trying to make HD4600 work? I just got things kinda working on Z87MX-D3H, i5-4570 and HD4600.

Before you start, read 2nd post by Lexone about iMessage_debug and copy output of the script on your working Mavericks install. I got the "contact customer care with code" dialog after running iMessage_debug. iMessage Fix thread has a lot of info on what's actually going on with iMessage. I wonder if migrating values from Maverics would prevent iMessage lock-out.

I think Legacy means not checking the first 2 boxes of Clover installer ("Install UEFI boot only" and "install in ESP"). Just follow Tony's instructions and screenshots through steps 1,2,3. I used the HD4600 clover.config file for my USB setup drive. This allowed me to get into the installer, although without QE/CI acceleration.

Things started diverging for me in Post-Install. Here's where my differences were:

1. Step 5 - installing Clover. Yosemite will set up a logical volume for the system drive. When you do "diskutil list" (I'm assuming you have 1 drive) you'll see that disk0 has 3 partitions - EFI, Recovery and your Yosemite partition. However, you will also have a logical disk1 for your yosemite partition. Clover installer didn't understand how to install into EFI system partition from there. I chose to call "sudo diskutil cs revert <disk id of logical disk>" to revert Yosemite volume to regular. Rebooted, proceeded with install. I suppose you could let it install into /EFI, then use EFI-Mounter to mount the EFI partition and copy the folder. I haven't tried that.

2. I started with clover.config for HD4600, but acceleration wasn't working. Make a back up of that file. I walked through the steps outlined in lexone's 2nd post to set SMBIOS to iMac14,1 and fill out values for iMessage. Also with Clover Configurator, go to devices tab and on far left there's FakeID section. I replaced the value in IntelGFX field with 0x0. On Graphics tab, I had both Intel and ATI checked. Uncheck ATI. After these changes, hardware acceleration started working.

3. Enternet kext in /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ stopped working after I migrated Time Machine backup of my Mavericks system. Instead I used MultiBeast 7 to only install the AppleIntelE1000.

4. I used Toleda's CloverALC script to inject fix for audio. Just ran the script and followed its prompts. Rebooted and audio settings had 3 output devices I could use. I'm using analog audio, so that was sufficient.

I'm waiting on BCM94360CD with adapter for wireless and BT. Can't comment on that yet. With any luck, they will enable Continuity features (Handoff, SMS proxy, etc)

Thx, got my sabertooth z87 working except for sound to work n after restoring it but the next reboot, my mouse and kb stop working. Didn't see if the time has changed or not yet. I guess before I reboot, I'll try using that configuration program to see where I am and then reboot it.

Multibeast, I have problems using my time machine after restoring it and not able to get the system up.

Ps, when asked about "How Do I Connect", local network, (auto or manu), continue, goes back to the start saying welcome for whatever reason.

That's great!
Can you give me a step by step please?
We have similar hardware and this is my first Clover install.
At what point did you use Multibeast? Did you also use Clover Configurator?
What plist did you use for the USB install?
What did you check off on Clover for the initial USB boot loader configuration?
Also, can you explain what they mean by Legacy install in the first part of the guide?

thank you!

Len

You'll actually be able to follow the guide pretty much exactly as is.

1. Start with a clean SSD or HD. I could not upgrade from Chimera to Clover on an existing drive
  2. Build a Clover bootable disk - you should use the HD4600 config plist (on USB).
  3. After following the page 1 guide exactly pre-installation, you'll be able to get into your fresh Yosemite instance and go through the iMessage_Debug guide provided by lexone under the installation guide. But don't run iMessage/FaceTime/iCloud until you've got your system ready to go.
  4. Once you've got everything to your liking, I then went through tony's post-installation guide so I could boot without USB. This uses Clover Configurator. Make sure you click the "Mount EFI" function so you can tweak the config.plist on your system.
  5. Finally, after you are booting without USB, run MultiBeast to install the *drivers* you need but don't muck with the system definition stuff (or install Chimera).
  6. Try to run iMessage and FaceTime - you'll likely be prompted with that customer code. Work with Apple "Mac Tech Support" to resolve
  7. Total process shouldn't take more than an hour plus Apple wait time.

Feel free to ask further questions!

Before you start, read 2nd post by Lexone about iMessage_debug and copy output of the script on your working Mavericks install. .....

When I first started this, I think I skipped over the Lexone post because it was way over my head.

I'm now at the point where I'm editing my DSDT in order to get sound to work.

For the authors of the Guide, you're absolutely right about "steep learning curve". I think the above-average, dedicated, follow-the-procedures person could get hackintosh working with Chimera. If you run into problems, IMHO, it will take someone with a software background to get a Clover install working.

Perhaps a more serious warning than "steep learning curve". Or "try Chimera before attempting Clover". Or maybe it's the luck of the draw.

Just wondering, how long should it take to install the files on to the USB, since it's been about 15 minutes and it still says "Copying installer files to disk..."

Thanks!

Back