Contribute
Register

How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover

A bit of background before I get into the problem I face:

I originally had Yosemite installed with chameleon boot loader. Everything except for iMessage and FaceTime worked. I read that changing to Clover could fix that problem, so I did, and again everything apart from iMessage and FaceTime worked. I decided to do a fresh install of Yosemite using Clover, and after a bit of work, I got it working. Well, everything apart from my trackpad and keyboard. I have yet to try FaceTime. I think it's probably worth mentioning that on my laptop I have 3 USB ports, 2xUSB3.0 on the left hand side, and 1xUSB2.0 on the right hand side. As it stands, one of the USB3.0 works as well as the USB2.0 port. I'm not sure what information about my system I need to provide in order to receive help, so anyone who thinks they could be of help to me, please let me know the information that I need to provide. Thanks

EDIT: I've just noticed that my sound is not working either.

You're posting for help with a Laptop in a Desktop Guide thread.
You should start a new thread in http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/

You're posting for help with a Laptop in a Desktop Guide thread.
You should start a new thread in http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-laptop-support/

Oh dear, my bad. Thanks for the quick reply. In the short time since I posted I've managed to fix the problem, turns out that the kext I was using was somehow corrupted and so downloading the latest version and installing it did the trick. Thanks again!

I finally decided to switch my boot loader to Clover in an attempt to get imessage working. I have Yosemite installed and was working in Clover Configurator to make the changes to SMBIOS etc. to try and get imessage working, when I was called away for several minutes. When I returned the screen was black (I think it just went to sleep) and the computer was unresponsive to attempts to wake. That's not unusual by itself, in fact, with Chimera I have to use MultiBeast to install "PatchedAppleCPUPowerManagement OSX 10.9" as well as "AppleRTC Patch for CMOS Reset" to make sleep work. Here's what is different though...At the point that my screen went black (using Clover & Yosemite) the only thing I could do was force a reboot. At that point I went to a continuous recycle of the computer trying to restart with the MB (EX58 UD3R 1.6) never posting. I searched the forums and found a suggestion to pull the plug for an hour. That didn't change the behavior. Finally I pulled the CMOS battery from the MB and put it back in after awhile and it did post.

My question is, how do I apply the proper changes to avoid that behavior with Clover and Yosemite? Can I still just use MultiBeast to apply the same fixes mentioned above that I used in Mavericks to Yosemite booted with Clover? Or, is there a more direct Clover technique for addressing this Sleep/CMOS issue. I am stuck and waiting a response to move forward.

Had a working Clover running on top of Chameleon install for the past year or so, was working on the windows side (dual boot) and when i went to go back into OSX 10 i cannot get past bios splash screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_0128.jpg

Okay, if I could have some help with my installation, it would be much appreciated.

I used this excellent guide to install yosemite 10.10.2 using clover (fresh install) on my desktop (GA Z97X-Gaming 5 mobo and NVIDIA GT 640 GPU). I installed it on a spare hdd. I also had windows 8.1 already installed on a separate SSD.

I have the following three problems:

1) Whenever I boot into Windows, the next time I boot into Yosemite, I have no sound. To regain sound, I have to shut down, pull the plug and press power button for a few seconds, then plug again and push power button on, and boot directly into yosemite.

2) There is a kernel panic whenever I shut down or restart. It is fixed if I repair permissions but if (1) happens, it occurs again.

3) I have installed clover in the EFI of the disk I installed yosemite onto. While it sees Windows 8.1, it doesn't boot into them, and I have to use the Bios's boot selector to boot into Windows 8.1.

Might there be any suggestions to these problems? Thank you for your time in advance!

EDIT: Regarding [1], another user in this forum states that Windows Realtek drivers must be swapped for the original windows audio drivers in Windows, for mac sound to work okay. I haven't checked it yet, but will, and get back to you.

EDIT 2: I updated the Nvidia drivers and the kernel panic at shutdown seems to have gone- for now. Again, I'll get back to you on this.

EDIT 3: I believe my Win 8.1 installation is a MBR one, which isn't very compatible with Clover, it would seem.

Editing config.plist file for USB:

Pre-requisites:
  • One of the downloaded config.plist files (start with Standard one)
  • View attachment 109255
  • Clover Configurator (recommended version 2953 or later)

1. Download config.plist file
  2. Open Clover Configurator
    • File>Import Configuration>select downloaded config.plist
  3. Click Acpi (only if using DSDT, if no DSDT skip to Step 4.)
  4. Click Boot
    • Keep defaults and check box for kext-dev-mode=1
    • Remove "Default Boot Volume" text or replace with your boot volume name
    • Set XMP Detect to No
    • View attachment 108076
  5. Click Graphics
    • If using Intel IGFX/IGPU, accept the default (checked) otherwise uncheck "Inject Intel"
    • View attachment 108077
  6. Run iMessage_Debug and keep terminal window open
  7. Click Rt Variables in Clover Configurator
  8. Click SMBIOS
  9. Close Clover Configurator
  10. Place edited config file in /EFI/EFI/CLOVER directory

Trying to get my head around this, so exactly when do I do these steps? before installing, on the mac I'm using to setup the USB? or after I've booted up osx successfully via the USB?
thanks

Had a working Clover running on top of Chameleon install for the past year or so, was working on the windows side (dual boot) and when i went to go back into OSX 10 i cannot get past bios splash screen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View attachment 131588

For what it's worth, the two times I've had this happen on Gigabyte boards (first a GA-Z97X-UD5H and then on a Z97N-WIFI), I have had to send them back to Gigabyte to get fixed. To be more precise, I had the UD5H fixed by Gigabyte after it hung on the logo screen, and now it's working fine; the Z97N-WIFI just starting malfunctioning this weekend, and I'm in the process of RMA'ing it with Gigabyte. Both boards had been working fine for about a month or so before this problem occurred.

But before you give up hope, try resetting the bios. There are instructions for that in the Gigabyte manual. If you are able to startup after resetting the bios, load optimized settings and go from there. If you can't get past the logo screen after resetting the bios, you may have a faulty motherboard.

Back