Contribute
Register

How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover

Import your config.plist from the HDD EFI partition in Clover Configurator.

If you go to the apple icon in the upper left of the desktop and open 'about this mac' then hit system report a page will come up that has a field called Model Identifier. For instance it might say MacPro3,1.

In Clover Configurator go to the SMBIOS tab and hit the magic wand looking thing on the right. In the topmost dropdown dialog select the matching Model. On the far right hit shake a couple times for Week of Manufactur and Unit number for serial number generation. When you're happy with the S/N hit OK.

In terminal type in: uuidgen. Enter this a couple of times. Copy the value and enter it in SmUUID field on SMBIOS tab. Take your serial number and copy it into Board Serial Number field on SMBIOS page. Add random alpha / numeric values somewhere in the middle of the number you copied in Board S/N until it is 17 digits in length.

File -> Export Configuration will copy these new values into your config.plist file. This will give you a serial number and the persistent MLB and ROM values necessary for iMessage.

Hope this helps.

OK, yes that is very helpful. So when you say my HDD EFI partition, I guess I would have to have the install up and going before I configure all of that in my .plist file?

If that is the case, what .plist config do you recommend that I use on the USB for the install?
Thanks again.

Thks emjay96, it was really helpful. The CsmVideoDxe.efi was the missing piece (and no GI in the config.plist :). Now I'm strugling with the OS complaining about shutdown/restart problem at boot and the sound that is not working.

I had the same problem regarding audio. I just used the latest Multibeast and selected the driver for my audio codec and the Optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support option. Rebooted and it worked.

Edit: Multibeast path to options:
Drivers -> Audio -> Realtek ALCxxx. For your mobo it should be ALC889 along with the Optional EFI option.

Not sure about the shutdown error. What messages is it giving? If any.

OK, yes that is very helpful. So when you say my HDD EFI partition, I guess I would have to have the install up and going before I configure all of that in my .plist file?

If that is the case, what .plist config do you recommend that I use on the USB for the install?
Thanks again.

Sorry. For some reason I thought you were able to boot into OS X using the USB stick.

I just used the standard config.plist that's attached in post #1 of this thread.

So you don't currently have OS X installed using the Unibeast -> Multibeast method?

I had the same problem regarding audio. I just used the latest Multibeast and selected the driver for my audio codec and the Optional EFI Installed Bootloader Support option. Rebooted and it worked.

Edit: Multibeast path to options:
Drivers -> Audio -> Realtek ALCxxx. For your mobo it should be ALC889 along with the Optional EFI option.

Not sure about the shutdown error. What messages is it giving? If any.

Thanks again, audio is working ! I was hopping for a vanilla OS X install (and further updates) but for one kext is ok :)

The 2 error messages say "You shut down your computer because of a problem" and "Your computer was restarted because of a problem". The boxes are displayed after login after each startup. I read about a Legacy boot can solve the problem, but no success for me... still digging.

Sorry. For some reason I thought you were able to boot into OS X using the USB stick.

I just used the standard config.plist that's attached in post #1 of this thread.

So you don't currently have OS X installed using the Unibeast -> Multibeast method?

Negative. For some reason it bricked up and wont boot after I tried to update my Nvidia drivers... lol. But is that a valid way of installing clover? just get everything running with Multibeast and Unibeast after first install and then install Clover after that? Oh the unsaid things I don't know haha :rolleyes::crazy:

Negative. For some reason it bricked up and wont boot after I tried to update my Nvidia drivers... lol. But is that a valid way of installing clover? just get everything running with Multibeast and Unibeast after first install and then install Clover after that? Oh the unsaid things I don't know haha :rolleyes::crazy:

You can install OS X using Unibeast -> Multibeast and then migrate to the Clover bootloader without having to reinstall the os. There should be threads on this topic but I've not personally done this.

I'm guessing that you would simply need to start at step 4: post installation of the guide if you first installed via unibeast -> multibeast.

Best to search for threads on the topic.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Thanks again, audio is working ! I was hopping for a vanilla OS X install (and further updates) but for one kext is ok :)

The 2 error messages say "You shut down your computer because of a problem" and "Your computer was restarted because of a problem". The boxes are displayed after login after each startup. I read about a Legacy boot can solve the problem, but no success for me... still digging.

Glad to hear your audio is now working. It sounds like you're really close.

Just out of curiosity. Did you use the BIOS Only (Legacy) method for installing Clover to both the USB and your system Drive?

You can install OS X using Unibeast -> Multibeast and then migrate to the Clover bootloader without having to reinstall the os. There should be threads on this topic but I've not personally done this.

I'm guessing that you would simply need to start at step 4: post installation of the guide if you first installed via unibeast -> multibeast.

Best to search for threads on the topic.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

I think I may try that! You helped out quite a lot actually. Thanks much for all of it!

Glad to hear your audio is now working. It sounds like you're really close.

Just out of curiosity. Did you use the BIOS Only (Legacy) method for installing Clover to both the USB and your system Drive?

I choose the BIOS Only for the USB Stick (step 2-17), but a UEFI Only for the SSD (step 4-5)... and now that I re-read the guide I can see my mistake in the step 2-17 "note" : "Using Legacy Mode is the simplest and most reliable for 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 Series Gigabyte motherboards with standard default BIOS or UEFI settings."

A step closer ? Currently reinstalling from scratch, I'll keep you informed.

Back