Contribute
Register

How to Install OS X Mavericks using Clover

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H and am trying to configure my config.plist. I ran imessage debug to get ROM and MLB but when I run it on Terminal I get "failed" on both. I am switching from Chimera to Clover and am on Mavericks. Can someone help me with the "failed" in imessage debug? And also are there any config.plist for my build?

Z87X-UD5H
Intel i7-4770
Ballistix 4 x 8GB
EVGA GT 640
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

I have a Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H and am trying to configure my config.plist. I ran imessage debug to get ROM and MLB but when I run it on Terminal I get "failed" on both. I am switching from Chimera to Clover and am on Mavericks. Can someone help me with the "failed" in imessage debug? And also are there any config.plist for my build?

Z87X-UD5H
Intel i7-4770
Ballistix 4 x 8GB
EVGA GT 640
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Same failed with same board. Would love to know how to get past FAILED.

Hi I just can't seem to get Clover to work and am obviously doing something wrong. After i boot off the USB I don't get a KP but the following errors

USBF: 0.587 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS
USBF: 0.587 AppleUSBEHCI ::unable to take ownership : 0xe00002be
USBF: 0.587 AppleUSBEHCI ::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)
USBF: 0.587 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS
USBF: 0.593 AppleUSBEHCI ::unable to take ownership : 0xe00002be
USBF: 0.594 AppleUSBEHCI ::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be)

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

i got same error, stuck on system booting

ISSUE: Installing Mavericks with Clover. System does not restart after installation is completed.

System: CustoMac mATX
GA-Z97M-D3H
Intel Core i7-4790K
HD 4600 Integrated Graphics
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3 (8x2 - ONLY ONE IS USED DURING INSTALLATION)
250GB SSD
Corsair CS550M
TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

BIOS SETTINGS:
Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Disabled
Memory Profile: Profile1
VT-d: Disabled
Boot Mode Selection: Legacy Only
Storage Boot Option Control: Legacy Only
Other PCI Device ROM Priority: Legacy OpROM
Initial Display Output: IGFX
Legacy USB Support: Enabled
SATA Mode: AHCI

Hi All. This is the first time I'm doing a Hackintosh, and it's been very frustrating in the past two days.
I managed to Install Yosemite with Unibeast, but iMessage does not work, so I decided to Install Mavericks with Clover, fix iMessage and update to Yosemite.

I followed this instruction on preparation of the USB (Legacy Mode). Managed to install the OS BUT the system does not reboot (1st restart) after installation is complete and jumps into a black screen. Basically what happens is that video signal vanishes. In reality I do not get a black screen, but my monitor is receiving no video signal.

I stumbled upon these in Clover Wiki regarding a black screen, however I suspect that these are the cause of the issue since the process works fin from start to the finish of the installation with no errors.

I also looked all over the net to see if anyone had the same issue and was unsuccessful. I would highly appreciate if anyone could help.

Warmly.

Z87X-UD5H
Intel i7-4770
Ballistix 4 x 8GB
EVGA GT 640
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

Have you used Clover Configurator to generate MLB and ROM values? The guide How to Fix iMessage is extremely helpful in walking you through it. Note: the guide says the MLB created by Clover may be flagged by Apple, and suggests you manually tweaking it. Here's another source that confirms this approach. FWIW my MLB was generated by Clover and my Messages works, so...?

Also, did you do a clean Clover install of Yosemite and do you have an EFI partition? I'm asking because I had trouble installing Clover on top of Mavericks, and abandoned that effort. Recently, I tried again and did a clean install of Yosemite with Clover and *finally* got everything to work, Messages included.

The "EFI partition" was a little confusing to me at first. Basically it's just a hidden partition on your system hard drive that you can "mount" (make visible) using EFI Mounter. If you did a clean install using the TonyMac guide, you probably made one. If so, you'll want to edit the config.plist on the EFI partition (which is hidden until you mount it).

If you have an EFI folder on your main system drive, it may conflict with the hidden EFI partition. So you want to be sure you're editing the config.plist that the computer is reading (hidden EFI), not the one that's visible (which the computer is ignoring). [Please correct me if I have that wrong. In any event, I don't have an "EFI" folder on my system drive, just an "EFI-Backups" folder, so either way that should avoid a conflict]

As for the config.plist to use, I used the config.plist-Intel-HD4600-desktop.zip listed at the bottom on the TonyMac guide. Note: I don't have a graphics card, just using the integrated graphics on the chip. Maybe the config.plist-Standard.zip would work for you??? You can check the bottom of the TonyMac guide for other starter config.plist files. I only made a couple of small changes to my config.plist via Clover Configurator.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

P.S. If you get to the point where you call Apple to unblock your Messages, note that it can take a full 12-24 hours before you can send/receive messages.

Thanks, astrobruin, for your reply. Yes, I did use Clover Configurator and followed the How to Fix iMessage guide. I gave up on that guide and decided to move over to Clover on my Mavericks. I also am running into problems installing Clover over Mavericks. I followed all the steps through Step 3 but get the message "This copy of the install of OS X Mavericks application cannot be verified". I've redownloaded Mavericks and also tried the Terminal command "date 041711152014" that I found on YouTube but that didn't work either.

Like you did I may need to consider doing a clean install of Yosemite using Clover but I didn't want to have to reload all my software and start over.

Honestly, I don't understand EFI partition but will read up about that next.

As for the config.plst file I did exactly as you suggested. I took the config.plist-Standard and modified it on Clover Configurator but haven't got it loaded on to Mavericks yet.

Thanks again for your help and explaining all this in detail.

Thanks, astrobruin, for your reply. Yes, I did use Clover Configurator and followed the How to Fix iMessage guide. I gave up on that guide and decided to move over to Clover on my Mavericks. I also am running into problems installing Clover over Mavericks. I followed all the steps through Step 3 but get the message "This copy of the install of OS X Mavericks application cannot be verified". I've redownloaded Mavericks and also tried the Terminal command "date 041711152014" that I found on YouTube but that didn't work either.

Like you did I may need to consider doing a clean install of Yosemite using Clover but I didn't want to have to reload all my software and start over.

Honestly, I don't understand EFI partition but will read up about that next.

As for the config.plst file I did exactly as you suggested. I took the config.plist-Standard and modified it on Clover Configurator but haven't got it loaded on to Mavericks yet.

Thanks again for your help and explaining all this in detail.

Happy to help.

I definitely understand; I tried to avoid doing a clean install as well, but my hand was eventually forced.

If you do go that route, I recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner to make a copy of your drive before you start, and again as soon as you have a new working build. And continue to make backups as you make incremental changes.

I'd advise against using Migration Assistant to restore from a Time Machine backup. I've had two experiences where that completely broke my build, to the point where I couldn't boot off either my SSD or my USB drives. Not 100% sure Migration Assistant was the problem, but that's when everything fell apart. (resetting the BIOS to defaults with F7, then changing back a few required settings, restored access to my USB drives)

In any event, it's usually safer and cleaner to restore everything manually.

The EFI partition is actually more straightforward than it seems, so don't be intimidated by it. As above, it's just a hidden partition on your boot drive. To put that another way, it's effectively a small hidden hard drive. You can make it temporarily visible by "mounting" it (it will disappear again when you reboot).

See for yourself. Launch your Terminal and type "diskutil list" and hit return. It will spit out something like this:

Screen Shot 2014-10-25 at 1.55.48 AM.png

For me, the EFI partition is labeled "EFI EFI", is a tiny 209.7 MB, and has an identifier of "disk0s1." Will likely be the same for you too.

When you mount it, it will appear in your Finder as a hard drive named "EFI".

volume/"Yosemite" (or whatever you named your boot drive)
volume/"EFI"

When you reboot, the "EFI" drive will disappear again. So after every reboot, you will need to mount it to see it. It's similar to, say, a hidden directory on your computer.

The Clover Yosemite guide walks you through the process of formatting the EFI partition and copying the Clover files over to it, including the config.plist.

volume/"EFI"/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

So in order to make changes to Clover using the Configurator, you first need to mount the EFI partition by it's identifier (in my case "disk0s1"). Then load Clover Configurator and open the config.plist that has this directory path:

Anyway, don't worry if that still seems confusing. When you walk through the steps it will all fall into place. Again, it's conceptually the same as making a hidden folder on your hard drive visible in order to make changes to its contents. It just requires a different tool to make it visible.

One last thing that confused me. My first attempt at installing Clover (a month ago) resulted in me accidentally installing Clover on both my system drive and my EFI drive. It looked like this:

volume/"Yosemite"/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

I kept editing the config.plist in my "Yosemite" drive because it was the only one I could see. But the computer was ignoring it and following the config.plist in my hidden "EFI" drive, which of course didn't change. So I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong, and why nothing was updating.

Finally, just hit Command+S to save your changes in Clover Configurator when you're ready to commit them. Obvious, I know, but it doesn't say "save" but instead says "export" which sounds different. It's the same thing as "save."

Good luck!

So I followed instructions to create a Clover EFI boot disk, but when I try to boot from it via EFI, it goes straight to my Windows hard drive and doesn't show me the Clover menu at all. And when I boot from it in Legacy mode, it takes me to a strange "Boot Manager" that allows me to select which drive I want to boot from, it shows me "EFI Hard Drive" from 1 to 5, but none of the options actually do anything, it keeps taking me back to the Boot Manager screen.

Can someone please help? Thanks :)

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H.

Thanks!

So I followed instructions to create a Clover EFI boot disk, but when I try to boot from it via EFI, it goes straight to my Windows hard drive and doesn't show me the Clover menu at all. And when I boot from it in Legacy mode, it takes me to a strange "Boot Manager" that allows me to select which drive I want to boot from, it shows me "EFI Hard Drive" from 1 to 5, but none of the options actually do anything, it keeps taking me back to the Boot Manager screen.

Can someone please help? Thanks :)

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H.

Thanks!

I have the same motherboard, the GA-Z87X-UD5H, an i7 chip, and no graphics card (just the Internal Graphics card - so slightly different than your build).

First thing, unplug all of your drives except the Mac OS X drive! It will simplify your troubleshooting and reduce the risk of conflicts.

Second, make sure your OS X drive is plugged into your first SATA port, i.e. SATA 0 (zero). That's the black SATA port directly across from the "E" in "Gigabyte", nearest to the board.

Third, boot into BIOS and hit [F7] to load optimized defaults.

Here are my BIOS settings. Note: I do not have a graphics card but am relying on my i7 chip's Internal Graphics Card.

BIOS Settings:
[HOME]

• [Standard] -> Init Display First -> IGFX

[PERFORMANCE]

• Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Profile1

[BIOS Features]

• Intel Virtualization Technology -> Disabled
  • VT-D -> “Enabled” (greyed out “enabled”, is supposed to be “disabled”)
  • OS Type -> Other OS
  • Boot Mode Selection -> UEFI and Legacy
  • Secure Boot -> Enabled
  • Secure Boot Mode -> Standard

[PERIPHERALS]

• [Device Config]
    • Init Display First -> IGFX
    • xHCI Mode -> Auto
    • xHCI Hand-off ->Enabled
    • EHCI Hand-off -> Enabled
  • [SATA Config]
    • SATA Controllers ->Enabled
    • SATA Mode Selection -> AHCI

[POWER MANGEMENT]

• [Power Management]
    • Wake on LAN -> Disabled

[F2] to switch to old fashioned 2D view:

[BIOS FEATURES]

• [Boot Option Priorities]
    • Boot Option #1 -> UEFI: [OSX Boot drive]
    • Boot Option #2 -> UEFI: [secondary OSX drive, if any]
    • Boot Option #3 -> P0: [OSX Boot drive]
    • Boot Option #3 -> P1: [Windows drive]

[PERIPHERALS] * I think this is optional if you have no graphics card, but not positive (sorry!)

• Internal Graphics Memory Size -> 1024M

Finally, make sure you've set up your EFI partition correctly. Remember, it first needs to be made visible ("mounted") and formatted using Disk Utility.

Copy over the appropriate config.plist from the tutorial (I used the "4600" one because I don't have a graphics card). Otherwise, the standard one should be fine. The path is:

Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist

Copy over the following kexts: AppleIntelE1000e.kext and FakeSMC.kext to:

Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10

You will probably need to create the "10.10" folder yourself. Important: FakeSMC.kext is necessary to boot.

If you have an EFI folder on your boot drive, rename it to "EFI-Backups".

Finally, when you get everything up and running, be sure to reboot it a couple of times to make sure things are fine.

You can then add your sound driver using the latest MultiBeast.

Not positive that this will necessarily address your problem, but chances are they're due to either improper hardware setup, mistakes in installing Clover, or wrong BIOS settings.

There is a new version of Clover Configurator out in the last day or two (just noticed it tonight). Can't vouch for it, but it seems to address a few issues like ROM in iMessages setup.

As for Clover Configurator, under the "Boot" section, I have a check for "dart=0" and "kext-dev-mode=1". I also have Legacy set to "XMPDetection=Yes" which enables the 1600Mz speed on my RAM chips. Not sure if this applies to you or not.

Finally, it's entirely possible you may need to try and reinstall everything from scratch. If you can't boot after a clean install, try re-doing your BIOS settings from scratch.

Anyway, hope something here helps!

Hi,

I am unable to install Mavericks using the thread.

Error occuring as below:
USBF: 0.587 AppleUSBEHCI ::UIMInitialize - Error occurred (0xe00002be) USBF: 0.587 EHCI controller unable to take control from BIOS.

After the above error it gives "Still Waiting for root device"

My system specifications as below:
http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb14en

Please help.

Back