Contribute
Register

How to Install OS X Mavericks using Clover

GIGABYTE GA-Z87X-HD3 ATX Realtek ALC892 Realtek 8111F

Could anyone tell me what I would need to make this system 100%?
I am familiar with how to fix permission, install kexts, and installing a working boot loader.

Currently i'm running iMac 14,2 since i own a If 4770K , also I installed a fresh copy of OSX and installed CLOVER boot loader. I am familiar with extracting a SSDT using pikerlpha's script.

If anyone could list out the things needed for this motherboard to work 100% I would really appreciate it.

Example
ALC892 --->audio HDA enabler or DSDT edit
ethernet ----> Realtek 81xx
ect...

I managed to get OS X Installed, and the system had the 1st reboot; i then selected the usb again on the bootmenu but I still see the same "Install OS X" screen, and nothing happened as mentioned here:

"The system will boot into the new drive, create the recovery partition, and complete the installation. Upon completion, system will restart a 2nd time."

What is supposed to happen after the first reboot? How do I set up the recovery partition? Is it through the disk utility?

Edit: I decided not to add the Recovery for now (I did create a blank partition with 5GB but no content).

I was able to boot directly from my drive, and so far most things work. I did get significant screen flickering across the OS. I wasn´t expecting that considering I did use the attached .plist for the Intel HD4600, so not sure what to do to fix that. I also am having issues playing any audio, my hardware (headphones) are not detected.

Edit #2:

Managed to get onboard audio working with a .kext and KextBeast.
I also switched to Chrome, and there's literally no flickering here, Safari was pretty much useless.
Video is working properly too.

I still get lots of flickering on the Launchpad and other native apps. I hope someone can help fix that part.

Setup: Intel i5, series 8 intel mobo, intel hd 4600.

Thanks

Same here, I just installed OSX with Multibeast and when it finished i booted from Multibeast and installed Clover.

I think the Clover installation instructions at the beginning of this thread should have mentioned needing to add audio capability to the installation..

Anyway, I just installed the VoodooHDA audio kext with my new OS X.9 Clover installation.. not only did it bring the sound back, but it gives me greatly increased audio capabilities. To use it install the VoodooHDA.kext alongside your other kexts, and also make sure to activate the VoodooHDA.prefPane and the VoodooHdaSettingsLoader.

It's working fine so far, if anyone knows of any issues with it please let me know..

You can download the files here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/voodoohda/

NOTE: There are a few different ways to setup Clover on the USB. Using Legacy Mode is the simplest and most reliable for 5, 6, 7, and 8 series Gigabyte motherboards with standard default BIOS or UEFI settings. For all other UEFI-based systems such as Asus 7 and 8 series motherboards, use UEFI Boot Mode to install to the EFI partition of the USB for UEFI booting only.

This would be considered a noobie question but how exactly would you classify the z68x-ud3h-b3 motherboard? 6 series I would assume.

I was able to get mine to boot fine using the UEFI method. The catch is that I had to select the proper device when booting every time. It wouldn't auto detect. I even modified the boot sequence to be UEFI *SSD NAME*. Still complains about no boot device.

Should one try the Legacy method instead for z68 chipset?

I installed Clover on a USB Drive, following this guide (wanted to be sure that all is good before installing to the HDD), but when I boot, I can only see the NTFS drives, none of the OS X ones. Am I missing something?

Does anyone know how to create the DSDT.aml or SSDT.aml files within clover if you are coming from a clean install and have not copied them over from chameleon/chimera builds. I am trying to use Multibeast within clover but to first do this it appears you need this set up first and I am not sure how to do it. When I load the MB config file and hit install i get an error saying this:
" There is no '/Extra/modules/HDAEnabler.dylib','/Extra/DSDT.aml', or '/Extra/SSDT.aml' file on the target volume. Either place one there, select 'Bootloaders > chimera v3.0.1', or if you are using an EFI installed bootloader check 'Drivers > Audio ? Realtek ALCxxx > Optional EFI Installed Bootloader Supoort' to continue."

Anyways I'm trying to get Ethernet and full GT2 HD4600 video acceleration to work on GA87NWifi, i3-4340 setup. I had ethernet working with a chimera bootloader using MB but couldnt get full acceleration so decided to wipe and start over using clover. Since MB got the kexts working last time I would like to use it if possible. Also within my Volumes/EFI/EFI/Clover/kexts/10.9 folder I do have appleintelE1000e.kext but that isnt doing the trick. Thanks

This Tonymac Clover guide is fantastic for a Clover beginner like me - best one i've come across, no doubt ! Up to now, i had only dabbled with 'trying Clover without installing' via a USB stick.

Got myself cheap deal on a Sandisk Ultra 64gb SSD which i bought for testing OS X and Clover. Creating the Mavericks Clover install USB worked with no issues (i selected the Legacy option for my Z77-DS3H as the guide recommend this for 7-series motherboards).

Installing OS X Mavericks 10.9.4 with the Clover USB on my new SSD went great although, i had to think about what to do at reboot so i rebooted via the Clover install USB and selected the install OSX Mavericks install option again which continued the 2nd part of the install process.

Once part 2 of the install was complete and another reboot later, i was greeted with the Clover bootloader displaying both OSX Mavericks SSD and Recovery HD.

For the post install in Clover, i selected the UEFI boot option and i used the supplied config.plist and kext files along with my Ethernet kext and DSDT. I also changed my motherboard BIOS boot priority selection to UEFI [SSD model] as i had been using P0 [SSD model] on my main Chimera OS X SSD.

Another reboot later but this time without USB stick and i have a working Clover bootloader along with a working OS X Mavericks.

EDIT:

• logged into App Store, iCloud, iMessage and they all work.
  • Find My Mac works (i'm using LAN only so no map location ID however i can Play sound, Lock or Erase my Hackintosh via my iPad2 if i want to).
  • i patched TRIM on the fly in Clover using the config.plist code mentioned in post #4 by morph21 (thanks)
  • I patched Realtek audio on the fly with Clover. I followed this YouTube guide which coincidentally matches my own motherboard codec and is based on Toleda's great work on Realtek ALC patching. I was unsuccessful at first but i figured out the problems which i have outlined below.
  • I also found this brief Youtube review of the Clover Configurator which is Clover's equivalent of Chameleon Wizard.
Great job guys :thumbup:

FINAL UPDATE:
Toleda has updated his Realtek ALCxxx command patch utility which patches audio on the fly in Clover. This new version.2 script has automated the process that was shown in the video and written about below but now, there is no need for any manual editing or messing about with files.

If you wish to patch audio on the fly in Clover, you can now do it with a few clicks so please refer to my newer thread here

UPDATE: I have successfully patched Realtek ALC887 audio on the fly in Clover following the YouTube guide mentioned above (credit to Hackintosh Thailand Service) but i made 2 small changes to the process (detailed below) and resolved my issues. please refer to my newer thread instead of this one.

SOLUTION: Don't bother to rename the supplied unzipped config-audio_CloverALC.plist file.
Instead, Copy only the audio code that you edited from the config-audio_CloverALC.plist and insert those audio edits/values into your own already working config.plist otherwise your system will not boot.

Finally, before running the audio-clover_ALC887-90_patch.command, place a duplicate of both the unzipped audio_CloverALC-master and audio_ALC887-master folders into your Downloads folder otherwise running the Clover patch command produced and error on my setup and failed because the patch was looking for a file located in my downloads folder which i had moved to the desktop at the start of the process (maybe it's just me ?) please refer to my newer thread instead of this one.

BTW - the files that I'm referring to and shown in the video are courtesy of toldea/audio_Clover - Github (credits; toldea and abxite - lovin' your work guys, thanks ;) )

Configuration:

GA-B85M-D3H
Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz
8 GB RAM
nVidia Quadro Fx 1800 512MB

I have tried multiple iterations and all of them get stuck at:

*** [IOBlueToothHCIcontroller][ProtectectedBlutetoothHCI controller TransportShowsUp] -- connect to the tansport succesfully

Please refer to the screen shot.

I have tried Lion, Leopard, Mountain Lion and Maverick, all of them yield the same error message.

Boot flag options tried
-f -v PCIRootUID=1 and 0 UseKernelCache=No & Yes GraphicsEnabler=Yeas and No npci=0x2000

no luck.

Somehow manged to install with boot flag -x.

But can't boot to the OS X, I am greeted with above error.

Any help is appreciated.

Solutions tried

Boot with -s. When you see the prompt "root:":

Type: mount -uw /
Type: cd /System/Library/Extensions
Type: mkdir intel_back
Type: mv AppleIntelHD* AppleIntelF* intel_back/
Type: touch ../Extensions

Reboot and use -v flag.

Also tried:
Clover and Chamaleon bootloader.

No luck with he above soliutions.