Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Quo Aos Z77MX
CPU
3.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 4096 MB
Hey All,

I purchased a Hackintosh a couple of years ago. I had a drive crash with 10.8.5 on it and I hoping to get another one on my computer. Is this something I can do fairly easily ? I believe the computer was built with Multi or UniBeast as well.

Thanks for any help :)

Hey All,

I purchased a Hackintosh a couple of years ago. I had a drive crash with 10.8.5 on it and I hoping to get another one on my computer. Is this something I can do fairly easily ? I believe the computer was built with Multi or UniBeast as well.

Thanks for any help :)
Yes, it is fairly easy if you have access to a Mac with the 10.8.5 installation app in the applications folder of if you can download it from the app store, having downloaded it previously.
Otherwise, you need a Mac or PC-Mac with access to the app store to download El Capitan or, soon, Sierra.

Do you have any kind of back up for your crashed drive at all? A clone is best, but you might be able to restore with Time Machine.

Hello and Thank you Going Bald! Really helpful you are :)

The good news is the computer was built with two drives and one is in fact still working and running Yosemite.

I also have a laptop made by Apple running Yosemite.

I believe I have a "copy" of 10.8.5 and a true apple cd install of 10.6.3

What are my next steps I assume purchasing a harddrive from Amazon would be number one.

And no I do not have a backup or clone of the crashed drive.

Hello and Thank you Going Bald! Really helpful you are :)

The good news is the computer was built with two drives and one is in fact still working and running Yosemite.

I also have a laptop made by Apple running Yosemite.

I believe I have a "copy" of 10.8.5 and a true apple cd install of 10.6.3

What are my next steps I assume purchasing a harddrive from Amazon would be number one.

And no I do not have a backup or clone of the crashed drive.
Are you able to access the drive if booting from the other drive running Yosemite?

No the mountain lion drive does not show up. I have tried changing the connector chords but basically the drive is clicking I think it is dead. I have two Yosemite drives in there now one solid state and one regular. The third was 10.8.5 and that's the one I need to replace.

No the mountain lion drive does not show up. I have tried changing the connector chords but basically the drive is clicking I think it is dead. I have two Yosemite drives in there now one solid state and one regular. The third was 10.8.5 and that's the one I need to replace.
Loud clicking noises from the drive usually indicate a broken armature of the read/write head. When it starts doing that it is definitely going bad or already gone bad.

Yes and now I just need to know the process/ steps how to install a new drive with 10.8.5 on it.

Yes and now I just need to know the process/ steps how to install a new drive with 10.8.5 on it.
?? you mean physically install it or install the OS over an existing OS?

On a new drive Or if on another drive that already has Yosemite is Possible that will work too.

On a new drive Or if on another drive that already has Yosemite is Possible that will work too.
In either case it is probably best to erase/format the drive using disk utility at the install screen where you select install the OS and hit the install button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back