Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. LC
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm experimenting with a move from the current Chimera bootloader and Yosemite to Clover and El Capitan using a test drive.

The guides are brilliant and all - but I'm sufficiently stupid that there are still things I can't figure out. And I mean really basic.

I've built the Clover USB with El Capitan. It boots my machine and I went through the OS X install process. The machine then rebooted to the Clover screen. I tried asking it to boot from the new install of El Capitan but it simply returns me to the Clover welcome screen. I assume I need to install all the clover bits and bobs such as the Clover Configurator and the rest. I've got all of these downloaded and ready. But how do I install them? I'm not running OS X at this point, so I can't click on an app and install it. All I can do is choose a drive to boot from, and that returns me to the same screen.

So, what are the basics around installing Clover, etc. Do I have to boot from the USB to install them? Or could I boot using the existing Chimera bootloader and then install the Clover, etc?

I do think someone should create a really basic guide for moving to Clover, without any OS updates involved. I want to get Clover working first, then upgrade to El Capitan. But all the existing guides get very technical very fast, and miss out the basics. How do you install Clover from the Clover start screen?

Sorry if this is garbled, but as you can probably tell, I'm not really skilled with this stuff.

Hey Simon,

This Guide is pretty straightforward and i think constitutes a 'basic guide for moving to Clover'.

You don't install clover to your hard drive until you are successfully booting into os x on the computer. Clover can be anywhere, be it a usb stick or a hard drive, and can identify possible boot points on your hard drive/any connected usbs and attempt to boot from them. Make sure you've got your bios set up as the guide recommends, create your usb again following the instructions in the guide and install OS X again using your newly created usb. If you arrive at the same issue, we'll troubleshoot from there.

Best of luck,
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back