Contribute
Register

How to Get Big Sur Working on Ivy Bridge CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lenovo Z580 (Intel Core i5-3210M - Ivy Bridge) running Big Sur.
I installed it using Clover 5126.

Everything is working except for:
internal microphone - worked with Catalina - maybe it has to do with the inject device-id I used
card reader - never worked with MacOS

I had to change a few things in the config.plist:
changed simbios to macbookpro 11.5 (mid 2014) - not sure if needed. I changed back to macbook air 2012 after the installation and it still worked. I am keeping it on macbookpro 11.5 for the updates.
changed the inject device-id for audio to 8 for the sound to work (after testing many values - it was 3 for Catalina)

I also had to remove AirPortBrcm360_Injector.kext from the AirportBrcmFixup.kext plugins for my wifi (Dell DW1520 BCM943224HMS) to work.

The only other thing that is different is that it only boots from Preboot, but I guess that was the purpose of Preboot.

It is running pretty well and stable so far.

Last edited:
I have HP ProBook 4540s with i3-3110M CPU, which SMBIOS will work for my laptop? Thanks

Thank you so much and will give it try this weekend.
I've installed two times.
- Clean installation
- Update from Catalina
Everything works. But slowly.

Not all the software you need works with the BS.
After a month of experiments I had to go back to Catalina.

I've installed two times.
- Clean installation
- Update from Catalina
Everything works. But slowly.

Not all the software you need works with the BS.
After a month of experiments I had to go back to Catalina.
So it's possible update from Catalina, cool. I probably will try update from Catalina first, if I failed then I'll clean install Big Sur. Thanks for your information ☺️.

So it's possible update from Catalina, cool. I probably will try update from Catalina first, if I failed then I'll clean install Big Sur. Thanks for your information ☺️.
May be I'll try BS later... at spring.
3 program nedeed for me not work on BS (((

I am trying on a Dell 13z 5323, i3-3217U and 7 series chipset, with a custom build of Clover 5127 which has OC-0.6.4.
With SMBIOS for MacBookAir8,2

BigSur 11.1 or 11.0.1 install and boot only from Preboot, it seems that the installer fail to add kernel files to the System\Library\KernelCollections\ and this generate a sudden reboot if i try to boot from the big sur partition (not preboot) and the SecureBootModel is enabled for j140a or Default, if it is Disabled i get the "Rooting from the live fs of a sealed volume is not allowed on RELEASE..." error....

I used the upgrade app to create the USB stick with createinstall media, i wonder if this is the right way to install the BigSur, what installer do you use?

I have HP ProBook 4540s with i3-3110M CPU, which SMBIOS will work for my laptop? Thanks
Hello, I have same laptop cpu, could you install BS on it ? What did you use, OC OR Clover.

I was able to install on my DELL Inspiron 13z 5323 here is the EFI i think can be used with any Ivy Bridge modifying the kexts and/or efi drivers, removing patches from config and removing all Dell ACPI files.

Just to remember that the bigsur use preboot partition to install/boot, this is an enforcement from apple not an issue with Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back