Contribute
Register

How to get ATI/AMD Radeon HD 5570 graphics working on High Sierra 10.13.6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ZN7 (F01) / Intel A57
CPU
Intel Core i7 870
Graphics
ATI Radeon HD 5570
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Hi there,

TL;DR; Any idea on how I can get an ATI Radeon HD5570 graphics card working on High Sierra?

I just installed High Sierra, and I read it was supposed to be “Out of the Box” to get these AMD/ATI cards working, but it’s been very hard and I’ve read like 100 articles and done a million experiments to no avail.

The card is built in to a HP TouchSmart 610-1030a touch screen PC, and the symptom/problem is:

- I can at best get a decent resolution at best, but no acceleration (I'm testing with the Chess app but can visually see it everywhere) and the OS only detects 7MB memory whereas it has 1GB.

I’ve tried a combination of:

- OOTB (then there’s no detection really)

- Clover setup in “Graphics” tab - combination of these settings:

- Inject ATI

- Load VBIOS/patch VBIOS

- Entered my card details (what I thought) - vendor ID 0x1002, product ID 0x68d9, FBName “Eulemur” or “Baboon”

Also;

- I have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext

- I've got the "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" file deployed in my drivers64UEFI folder

- Tried using “downgraded” (from Sierra) versions of kexts AMDRadeonX3000.kext, AMDRadeonX3000GL.Driver.bundle, IOAccelerator2D.plugin, IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext (I think my wifi disappeared with the IO ones which makes sense I suppose)

At worst in the "About this Mac" it just says "Display 3MB" (and often with poor resolution), and at best it says "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5570 7 MB" but with no acceleration (and no recognition of the 1GB VRAM).

Any ideas of what I’m supposed to do? I don’t really get all the stuff I read about patching and rolling my own kexts etc but my impression was that after Sierra I wasn’t supposed to do that for the AMD/ATI cards.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Hi there,

TL;DR; Any idea on how I can get an ATI Radeon HD5570 graphics card working on High Sierra?

I just installed High Sierra, and I read it was supposed to be “Out of the Box” to get these AMD/ATI cards working, but it’s been very hard and I’ve read like 100 articles and done a million experiments to no avail.

The card is built in to a HP TouchSmart 610-1030a touch screen PC, and the symptom/problem is:

- I can at best get a decent resolution at best, but no acceleration (I'm testing with the Chess app but can visually see it everywhere) and the OS only detects 7MB memory whereas it has 1GB.

I’ve tried a combination of:

- OOTB (then there’s no detection really)

- Clover setup in “Graphics” tab - combination of these settings:

- Inject ATI

- Load VBIOS/patch VBIOS

- Entered my card details (what I thought) - vendor ID 0x1002, product ID 0x68d9, FBName “Eulemur” or “Baboon”

Also;

- I have Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext

- I've got the "EmuVariableUefi-64.efi" file deployed in my drivers64UEFI folder

- Tried using “downgraded” (from Sierra) versions of kexts AMDRadeonX3000.kext, AMDRadeonX3000GL.Driver.bundle, IOAccelerator2D.plugin, IOAcceleratorFamily2.kext (I think my wifi disappeared with the IO ones which makes sense I suppose)

At worst in the "About this Mac" it just says "Display 3MB" (and often with poor resolution), and at best it says "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5570 7 MB" but with no acceleration (and no recognition of the 1GB VRAM).

Any ideas of what I’m supposed to do? I don’t really get all the stuff I read about patching and rolling my own kexts etc but my impression was that after Sierra I wasn’t supposed to do that for the AMD/ATI cards.

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Did you rebuild caches after replacing the kexts? You may want to try again using kextbeast and select System/Library/extensions folder and place only the kexts you want to replace on the desktop. Kextbeast can be downloaded on this site @ Downloads section/Tonymacx86 tools. Also you will need the AMD5000Controllerkext.

Last edited:
Hi @Gigamaxx, thanks so much! But with those Kexts nothing new happens.

Basically I've tried a couple of things but for example with the new Kexts you sent installed (using Kext Beast, removing the old ones first) and removing all my Clover "Graphics" settings (and even trying with removing WhateverGreen.kext).

The result is that there's no difference - in that bare bones setup with just the new Kexts the system reports the graphics as "Display 3 MB" and not even ATI/AMD etc.

Any idea what I should try next? Thanks a lot!

Any idea what I should try next?
ATI Radeon HD 5670 (vendor: 0x1002, device id: 0x68d8) in my Lynnfield build is working with:

- config.plist/Graphics/FBName=Baboon
- config.plist/Graphics/VideoPorts=3
- config.plist/Graphics/Inject/ATI=true
- Lilu.kext and WhateverGreen.kext

atm.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back