Contribute
Register

How to get a GTX 580 (or 5xx card) to work in LION

Status
Not open for further replies.
flusca said:
Hi there, there is my first time with hackingtosh and i am stuck with gtx 580 not recognize.

I have...
asus p8p67 pro
i7 2600k
16 gb ram 1600ghz

All my motherboard functions is recognized in Lion.

But when i try this guide i can´t find info.plist in the path system/library/extension/...
NVDAGF100Hal.Kext

Some one please help me!!
You need to right click on NVDAGF100Hal.kext and select Show Package Contents. You'll see the info.plist file you need to edit.

flusca said:
Hi there, there is my first time with hackingtosh and i am stuck with gtx 580 not recognize.

I have...
asus p8p67 pro
i7 2600k
16 gb ram 1600ghz

All my motherboard functions is recognized in Lion.

But when i try this guide i can´t find info.plist in the path system/library/extension/...
NVDAGF100Hal.Kext

Some one please help me!!

It's not in the path. Kext's are sort of a zipped file format. You'll have to right click and "Show contents" Also, the info.plist is a hidden file, so you'll need to be able and show those.

Go to terminal by typing term in Spotlight (the magnifying glass in the upper right corner).

Type the following:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

and after hitting return, follow it up with

Code:
killall Finder

brendonauger said:
Since there isn't really a good cut and dry guide on how to install a GTX 580 in Lion, I'm going to do so now.

DUDE! Thank you very much!

I can't believe that all it was is the DeviceID again. : | I don't remember having to mess with it on 10.6.7 - 10.7.2, so I never even considered it. I still don't know why it worked before (without any editing), but needed editing starting with 10.7.3. Whatevs.

I have a GA-P67A-UD7-B3 with BIOS F6 and used the matching DSDT from the Tonymacx86 DSDT database and have full CI/QE, full resolution. I am only using 1 GTX 570.

All up and running now, thank you again SO MUCH for posting DETAILED, EASY to follow instructions!!!!

:headbang:

Thanks for this thread. The OP and You all helped me a lot to get my graphics running with Lion.
To share my experience:
I have a MSI gtx580 Lightning and had to change the device key in the NVDAGF100Hal to "0x108010de&0xffc0ffff" instead of "0x108010de&0xffe0ffff" !

I checked it twice to be sure that this single letter in this hex-code makes the difference. If I rename it back to "0x108010de&0xffe0ffff" my graphics card don´t work after restart and I have the 1024x768 default graphic again. Changing the "e" back to a "c" makes it running again.

The Card is running on a GA EP45t-Extreme with a q9550. I´ve a simple auto-patched DSDT, followed the guid of the OP and everything seems to work so far.

archelon said:
marbleduck said:
I have a... noob questino to ask of you all.

What does he mean when he says to "navigate to your com.apple.boot.plist file." WHere is this? He says to open up the main Lion installed driver, but I have no idea what this is....

THanks.
This file is in the "Extra" folder on your OS X boot volume. However, if you're using the Chameleon bootloader, you'll be looking at a file named "org.chameleon.Boot.plist" instead.

I am also having trouble locating this file

My extra folder was empty,

I can find an com.apple.Boot.plist in library>preferences>systemconfiguration

It's contents read like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
</dict>
</plist>

I think I have the chameleon boot loader installed, but it's not in that extra folder either.
It is in the gtx 5xx enabler 10.7.3 >gtx55ti>extra folder that I extracted to my desktop

It's contents look like this

My question is, do I just create my own com.apple.boot.plist and copy paste the text from the guide and then put this file in the extra folder?

EDIT:
nevermind, I found one in another thread

Does anyone has an idea how to get dual cards working???

I tried the plist edits with no luck.

The system freezes on boot and no kexts are loaded. It just stops. Booting with only the second card works.

Thanks in advance.

John V said:
I'm starting a new hackintosh build and would like to use a GTX 5xx series card. Was wondering if this EVGA GeForce GTX 560 1024 MB GDDR5: http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Mini ... 874&sr=1-1 card have any major issues getting up and running with Lion?

Or:
SPARKLE SXX5601024D5MH GeForce GTX 560: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814187169

Thanks,

John

Looks like the new Mulit-Beast supports many new video cards... including the GTX 5xx series:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2012/03/ ... pdate.html

Installing an MSI GTX 580 TWIN FROZR II tomorrow.

Edit: All working with dual screens, full QE/CI. :clap:

For what its worth, even though I think you don't need to do any of this anymore as it is covered by Multibeast 4.3 Lion edition Nvidia support kexts, I still edited the NVA file as described in the first post of this thread and added the extra line.
The Graphics Mode addition is not required.

SoundFuHackintosh.jpg

DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back