980ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
We know the PCI config stall has been a problem for many with Nvidia cards. Here is how I fixed my machine (HP Pavilion Dv6700t, Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS).

1. Do a clean install of Snow Leopard Using Retail DVD. Have a Maximum of 4GB of RAM and do not attach any peripherals other than a keyboard and a mouse.

2. Download and run 10.6.8 Update Combo v1.1. http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

3. Open MultiBeast 3.8.0 (either use EasyBeast or userDSTD). viewforum.php?f=125

DO NOT SELECT SYSTEM UTILITIES

Choose your audio, audio roll back, and PCI root ID fix and run MultiBeast.

4. Look in extra / extensions to make sure IOPCIFamily.kext is in there.

5. Download the ACPI PCI Kexts version 10.6.7. 10.6.7_ACPI_PCI_Kexts.zip

6. Install the kexts using Kext-Wizard.
Kext Wizard.zip

On the tab option “installations” find your two kexts above and click “System / Library / Exensions”, then execute.

On the tab option “maintenance”, click “System / Library / Extensions” and run that.

7. Install CUDA drivers if you need them (for Nvidia cards only).

8. Restart your computer.

9. Now you can install any GPU drivers you may have.

Now customize to 64 bit or however you like.

Once you restart and customize to 64 bit kernel, you need to click PCI root fix again. The 32 bit plist with that fix is overwritten by the 64 bit plist. In my computer, I couldn't find IOPCIFamily.Kext in Extra/Extensions, but when I said Backup Replaced kexts and it worked like a charm.

The problem is, MultiBeast crashes when running permissions. Because of that crash, not everything is installed. Kext-Wizard installs the two kexts we talked about and runs permissions for you and clears the cache. That is the big issue.

-Akhilv1

According to Flyboyqw, if you get kernel panics upon updating to 10.6.8 then follow the guide underneath. According to him, it worked on his Acer Aspire 4743G.

-Copy OSX 10.6.0 from original DVD to 8gb USB thumb drive using the Restore method of another mac.
-Insert the USB drive with OSX and then boot with iBoot 3.1.1 (not the other way around). When the boot screen is loaded, type in "PCIRootUID=1" without quotes. Then select your USB thumb drive (it will say install DVD, not usb) and press enter.
-Install Mac OS 10.6.0 as usual (format drive at the beginning of the install process, etc.)
-Reboot to finish the installation.
-Download the 10.6.8fixpack from http://hackintosh.webluco.com/10.6.8fixpack.zip and unzip it
-Copy the myfix folder from the unpacked MacOsX folder to the desktop
-Reboot, select your drive where you just installed OSX and press "-s" without quotes, then press Enter. This will get you in terminal mode before booting the entire OS.
-Run exactly these commands but replace YOUR_NAME with the name you registered with at the end of your OSX install:
• mount -uw /
• mv /System/Library/Extensions/IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext /Users/YOUR_NAME/Desktop
• rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/* /Users/YOUR_NAME/Desktop/myfix
• reboot

-If your computer is restarted:
-Copy IO80211Family.kext and IONetworkingFamily.kext from System/Library/Extensions/ to the folder kexts in the unpacked MacOsX folder
-Then install 10.6.8 Combo Update. Do NOT reboot yet.
-Now go to the folder:
• System/Library/Extensions
-And delete these files:
• AppleIntelHDGraphics.kext
• AppleIntelHDGraphicsFB.kext
• AppleIntelHDGraphicsGA.plugin
• AppleIntelHDGraphicsGLDriver.bundle
• AppleIntelHDGraphicsVADriver.bundle

-Then copy Apple80211Monitor.bundle from MacOsX/bundle to:
/System/Library/SystemConfiguration/
-Then open MacOsX/kextinstaller/Kext Wizard.app. Go to the Installations tab. At the Destination field, click on System/Library/Extensions. Open the folder MacOsX/kexts (on desktop) and drag ALL the kext's of the kexts folder onto the file field of the Kext Wizard. Then click on Install.
-Now go to the Maintenance tab in Kext Wizard. Click on System/Library/Extensions and press Execute.
-Reboot with iBoot again but do NOT use the PCIRootUID flag. Just select the mac drive and press enter. You have now installed the 10.6.8 update.
-Note that the bios sometimes changes the boot order for no reason. If you can't boot from the CD, enter the bios and put the DVD drive on top again.

Attachments

• 10.6.7_ACPI_PCI_Kexts.zip
    494 KB · Views: 2,027
  • Kext Wizard.zip
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,218
Yes!

Nice one akhilv1!

If I'd known this three days ago, my build would've taken 2 hours including hardware assembly!

My only concern now, of course, is how 'upgradable' is my rig now there's 1.6.7 kexts in a 10.6.8 install?

That's the one area where I just don't know enough - if I run any apple software updates, is it going to break my system, requiring me to run this fix again?

That's one thing I really wanted to avoid in this hackintosh install - the feeling that my hackintosh could just break due to system updates.

Just to note, I successfully did a system update - supplemental 10.6.8 update - worked like a charm, no troubles at all!

I'm going to skip Lion for some time - no real point.
A lot of the updates are related to gestures - plus my GF has had a number of issues with Lion on her iMac, 10.6.8 is good for another year whilst Lion matures a bit :)

All I really wanted was my Macbook pro back (which I sold due to financial constraints) - now I've got the exact same setup I had before, except on a hackintosh, more powerful, big monitor. Admittedly, it's not as portable nor as damn sexy, but I can live with that :D

All my data from my Macbook time machine backup migrated seamlessly - awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back