Contribute
Register
@jaymonkey

My old macbook late 2006 uses a 11 digit SN#. it will never use iMessage because the latest version is lion for this Mac.

i tried to use these values but I did not succeed. Do you know if anyone could use a 11 digit SN# to signin into iMessage?

thanks

@jaymonkey

My old macbook late 2006 uses a 11 digit SN#. it will never use iMessage because the latest version is lion for this Mac.

i tried to use these values but I did not succeed. Do you know if anyone could use a 11 digit SN# to signin into iMessage?

thanks

Even with real mac, you are not going to be able to sign in to messages with its value if the mac spec doesn't support message.

Since I changed my MLB to the one on a mac fried motherboard I haven't had any problems until yesterday. I can't really call it a problem, iMessage signed me off automatically. I then signed back on and it did it without issue, the first time.
I tested sending messages to others and receiving and synchronising between devices and it works just fine.

How did you get the MLB from the fried motherboard?
Is it printed somewhere? I have a 2008 MacBook that doesn't boot so wanted to get its MLB

Just wanted to say that Apple has been tinkering with something these last couple weeks or so... I do Mac tech on the side.... my clients and myself are experiencing glitchy iMessage performance on real Apple products, App Store purchases are temperamental even via the iPhone and iTunes and a client still using a dot me email account hasn't been able to send attachments for the last few weeks, the emails never arrive. Her dot me account has been rock solid up until a couple weeks ago. So Apple is messing with something!

OK guys...decided to work on this tonight. Used my ROM/MLB from my genuine iMac that I'm now posting this message from...because my hack won't boot. Ugh.

Won't boot from my clone drive either which was cloned *before* I made any changes whatsoever..and it was running perfectly.

I've tried all the usual boot flag options in Chimera but still no joy....it just begins to boot, goes to a blackscreen, then cycles back around to POST about 20 or so seconds later....rinse, repeat.

Suggestions?

Not to be picky, but the iMessage icon/logo thing on the first post is outdated :p

I have a 2008 macbook pro which just died. I'm totally annoyed with myself that I didn't get the S/N, ROM and MLB values with iMessage debug when I had the chance. Is there any other way to get these values if I can't boot into OS X? Inside the battery bay there is an 11-character serial number , and a 12-character ethernet ID number printed. From what I've read, a serial resembling an MLB is printed on the motherboard near the ram slots. I haven't opened it up to confirm this yet - will be taking to apple store in case there's an easy fix to get the macbook running again. But it seems pretty rooted to me. The value formats are: Serial number - x88888x8xxx Ethernet ID -888888888x8x where x=letter and 8=number. Are these values usable?

Just wanted to say that Apple has been tinkering with something these last couple weeks or so... I do Mac tech on the side.... my clients and myself are experiencing glitchy iMessage performance on real Apple products, App Store purchases are temperamental even via the iPhone and iTunes and a client still using a dot me email account hasn't been able to send attachments for the last few weeks, the emails never arrive. Her dot me account has been rock solid up until a couple weeks ago. So Apple is messing with something!

@John V,

Yup, things are a bit of a mess at the moment, in addition to some specific changes to iMessage validation it seems that Apple are changing something on the AppleID side of things too which isn't helping matters. Right now i think the best thing to do is to sit and wait for things to settle down.

It would be handy if you could keep us updated on how things go with your Mac Clients and let us know once things seem to be back to a stable and working state again, same goes for anyone else with a genuine Mac experiencing iCloud/AppleID issues.

Cheers
Jay

Back