Contribute
Register
@ResentedPoet,

Handoff should work fine as long as IOS 8+ and OSX 10.10+ devices are connected to the same SSID/WiFi network and your hack has a supported bluetooth adapter and/or your BT kext has been patched to allow it to be enabled.

Obviously if iMessage is not working on OSX then you will be unable to use the continuity features such as SMS and Phone calls, however continuity uses the same inter-device-protocols (BT & WiFi) as handoff so as long as that is working and you have working iMessage then the continuity features should also work.

Cheers
Jay

You don't have to have WiFi for continuity to work. It worked fine on my 2006 Mac Pro that did not have wifi. As long as it is on the same network as the iPhone it will work. It also did not have Bluetooth 4.0 so Handoff did not work and wasn't able to test that.

You don't have to have WiFi for continuity to work. It worked fine on my 2006 Mac Pro that did not have wifi. As long as it is on the same network as the iPhone it will work. It also did not have Bluetooth 4.0 so Handoff did not work and wasn't able to test that.

"Continuity" is Apple's name for multiple Yosemite features. Included in that list of features is "Handoff." They are not separate items but one is the "whole" and one is the "part."

If you look at Apple's web site: http://www.apple.com/osx/continuity/
you will see the "Continuity" includes:

Phone - "Mac now answering the call"
SMS - "More ways to get your message across"
Handoff - "Start it here, finish it there"
Instant HotSpot - "Just like that, you're online"
AirDrop - "Sharing files has never been easier"

The question I'm asking is when you say "You don't have to have WiFi for continuity to work" do you mean the phone transfer? Which part of Continuity did you refer to?

"Continuity" is Apple's name for multiple Yosemite features. Included in that list of features is "Handoff." They are not separate items but one is the "whole" and one is the "part."

If you look at Apple's web site: http://www.apple.com/osx/continuity/
you will see the "Continuity" includes:

Phone - "Mac now answering the call"
SMS - "More ways to get your message across"
Handoff - "Start it here, finish it there"
Instant HotSpot - "Just like that, you're online"
AirDrop - "Sharing files has never been easier"

The question I'm asking is when you say "You don't have to have WiFi for continuity to work" do you mean the phone transfer? Which part of Continuity did you refer to?

I am talking about the phone transfer and sms sending/receiving. My Mac Pro would do both of those without WiFi or Bluetooth 4.0. I did not have an airport card installed but did have a Bluetooth 2.0 card.

I am talking about the phone transfer and sms sending/receiving. My Mac Pro would do both of those without WiFi or Bluetooth 4.0. I did not have an airport card installed but did have a Bluetooth 2.0 card.

I just got the SMS and call hand off features working, even though we don't have a supported BT4 module. It's only the other features that need it. I followed these steps:

• Your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch need to use iOS 8.1, and your Mac needs to use OS X Yosemite.
  • Sign in to iMessage on your iPhone, your other iOS devices, and your Mac using the same Apple ID.
  • On your iPhone:
    1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > You Can Be Reached By, and add a check to both your phone number and email address.
    2. Go to Messages > Text Message Forwarding, and enable the device(s) you would like to forward messages to.
  • Your Mac, iPad, or iPod touch will display a code. Enter this code on your iPhone to verify the SMS feature.

I'm hoping someone can answer this
If you have TWO macs, a real mac mini running OS X server, and a hackintosh both running on the same network
Can you remotely open just the message app on the hackintosh that is installed on the server (run in a window) without using VNC.

I'm hoping someone can answer this
If you have TWO macs, a real mac mini running OS X server, and a hackintosh both running on the same network
Can you remotely open just the message app on the hackintosh that is installed on the server (run in a window) without using VNC.

Yes should be possible with this app:

http://shared-app-vnc.sourceforge.net

@jay,

it is me again..

The last thing I want to happen, has happened. iMessage has stopped working on my customac all the sudden, and as everything you have mentioned, it does not work with my MLB value (generated) anymore and the same Support ID shows up as previously.

I won't contact Apple Support until we are certain what the solution is.

:(

awaiting for more update patiently.

@jay, iMessage has stopped working on my customac all the sudden, and as everything you have mentioned

@jk2309,

Unfortunately that is the case for everyone now, once the iMessage security token expires you will not be able to receive a new one until the MLB passes the improved back-end verification process.

Work is on-going but its a slow and tiresome process requiring a lot of cross-checking of codes and values but progress is being made both by myself and others who are working on the problem and i'm hopeful that a method to auto generate valid MLB values will be found soon.

Keep an eye on the news in the main guide for updates ... however I don't think i'll get much done this side of christmas now but will continue to work on the problem as and when i get chance.

Cheers
Jay

Throw my name into the hat. Both me and my wife's PC's de-authed last night off of working MLB values from about 2-3 months ago.

Same thing here. Happy to see I'm not the only one. Keep up the good work guys! We'll wait :)

Back