Contribute
Register
I'm using a 13 character MLB (not 17) in conjunction with a 12 character SN with no apparent problem.

So does this mean that if the MLB/ROM passes authentication then the SN does not matter.

I made small experiment with my spare drive and indeed it seem that SN does not matter (as long as it's "valid"). Having old fake 11 character SN (MacPro3,1) and working MLB (17 char)/ROM from iMac (iMac15,1). I also tested with fake iMac15,1 SN and both setups work with iMessage and iCloud. I'm not using this setup however to avoid possible future troubles. DO NOT USE REAL SERIALS OF GENUINE MACS.

EDIT 16. Dec: also tested with fake iMac12,1 SN and iMac15,1 MLB/ROM values. Works!

@All

@flicka's thoughts are correct in that earlier (~ pre 2010/2011) systems such as MacPro 3,1 that have a 11 digit OSX S/N only have a 13 digit MLB not 17 digits like later (Generation 2+) Apple models. The 13 digit MLB patten is a much simpler format/syntax to the 17 digit MLB's and thus i do not believe that they can be processed by the new Apple iMessage MLB authentication process - they simply do not contain the checksum/lookup/reference values needed.

So systems configured with 11 digit S/N & 13 digit MLB currentley still work with iMessage as long as the MLB (and ROM ?) is registered with Apple. However you should all be aware that more recent PC hardware should ideally use a later (> 2011) system definition such as iMac 13,1, 14,1 ... etc in order for many of the newer OSX features introduced in Mavericks and Yosemite to work correctly.
Jay
@jay

I apologize for my bad English. Reading my words I understand that I may be misunderstood. What I meant is that, perhaps, using a MLB 13 characters, but with a recent system definition, can fool Apple controls. Only a consideration, not an invitation to use this procedure.

I don't think it matters. You only need a valid MLB/ROM configuration.

JayMonkey the way you handle this is incredible. On all the forums that I participate in there is only one guy, NickN, on the SimForums for FSX, that is as dedicated, competent and helpful as you are. This forum is indeed blessed to have you around.
I wish some of the other threads on this board will adopt your method of dealing with the people that are desperate for guidance,
help and feedback, the way you do.

YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN BE ACHIEVED IF ONE REALLY CARES, THANK YOU

Keep up your excellent endeavors to have this problem finally sorted out.

@hylkepykle when? If this was shortly before about the 17 November, you will probably find you will shortly be logged out and be stuck in the same position as everybody else.

If it was after, then thats interesting and we need to figure out why it worked for you.

I used MacPro3,1; a 11 char S/N, 13 char MLB; uuidgen for smUUIDGEN and ROM (last part only), got it working yesterday (december 14th 2014)

JayMonkey the way you handle this is incredible. On all the forums that I participate in there is only one guy, NickN, on the SimForums for FSX, that is as dedicated, competent and helpful as you are. This forum is indeed blessed to have you around.
I wish some of the other threads on this board will adopt your method of dealing with the people that are desperate for guidance,
help and feedback, the way you do.

YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN BE ACHIEVED IF ONE REALLY CARES, THANK YOU

Keep up your excellent endeavors to have this problem finally sorted out.

i couldn't agree more! Well said.

hylkepylke.. thanks for the info. Please elaborate as to your method of generating your results. Thanks.

I used MacPro3,1; a 11 char S/N, 13 char MLB; uuidgen for smUUIDGEN and ROM (last part only), got it working yesterday (december 14th 2014)

My system has always been using MacPro3,1 with an 11 char S/N. The same details. For years now.
I recently upgraded to Clover & everything had been working great, until these recent iMsg errors.

I just opened Clover Config & discovered on the RT Variables page that the ROM & MLB values were empty? Below them is a "Calculator", which when you press "Calculate", fills out all the known existing info, S/N ect, & also fills the ROM & MLB.
I copied these & put them into the empty ROM & MLB fields at the top of the page, then deleted a few characters from the end of the MLB, to make it 13 characters (I don't think it was 17? Im sure it was 15).

I rebooted, but still couldn't log in.
Am I on the right track though? Is there another way I should be generating my ROM & 13 char MLB?
Adcording to Jay & a few others, my system should work, right? It's only the later model ID systems that are being a pain.

You cant but be impressed with Clovers dynamic boot-time patching ...... no need to re-install any kexts or patches for Audio, Trim, BT4, Handoff, Wifi ... etc .. etc .

Do you have a guide on this?

Back