Contribute
Register
This problem will occurs on Mavericks or just Yosemite?

thanks.

ps. This problem convince me to buy a real mac but no have enough money to buy one even mac mini:banghead:

Quoted from the news update on the issue: "This issue affects Mavericks and Yosemite installs with any ​boot-loader"

Some questions:

1) Would it be possible to use the MLB and ROM values from, say, a Macbook Air, while still letting the hackintosh be an iMac?

2) Will this procedure cause problem if the hackintosh and the MacBook Air are logged into iMessage/FaceTime at the same time?

3) Would it be enough to use the MLB/ROM values only for activation, and then change them afterwards?

Some questions:

1) Would it be possible to use the MLB and ROM values from, say, a Macbook Air, while still letting the hackintosh be an iMac?

2) Will this procedure cause problem if the hackintosh and the MacBook Air are logged into iMessage/FaceTime at the same time?

3) Would it be enough to use the MLB/ROM values only for activation, and then change them afterwards?

Answers
1) Yes.

2)Possibly, you would be risking Apple banning them, but if it's just the two you mentioned, it might be ok.

3)No, they will have to remain there.

Some questions:

I would say that would be a bad idea. This is the kind of stuff that causes Apple to tighten security. By duplicating your values, you are basically risking Apple seeing that you're using one value for two machines. At best, they'll only block you, at worse, they write some algorithm that checks an additional value for all Mac users, making it even more difficult for everyone.

This is on of those tough issues. In the guide on the front page, even though the poster could have omitted the information, they chose to be transparent and include it. The problem is that some people don't have the patience to wait, and so they shrug, and proceed to use methods not recommended. When Apple catches on, and we all lose functionality, we risk the very real fact that we are left with no options.

I understand the desire to have a fully functioning Hackintosh. Hell, I just purchased a $100 network card so I could use iMessage, and any second now it will sign me out, and I'll have spent that money for two weeks of iMessage. Unfortunately, if we don't show a little restraint, we might find there are no options if Apple catches on.

So the answer I have to all your questions is this. Ask yourself whether the potential short term gains are worth the possibility of a long term loss. If you are only going to use Hackintosh computers for the short term, and will be purchasing legit Apple computers in the future, then go for it. However, if you are planning on making Hackintosh a part of your regular upgrade cycle, I highly recommend you not make any decisions that could potentially make that an impossibility.

I would say that would be a bad idea. This is the kind of stuff that causes Apple to tighten security. By duplicating your values, you are basically risking Apple seeing that you're using one value for two machines. At best, they'll only block you, at worse, they write some algorithm that checks an additional value for all Mac users, making it even more difficult for everyone.

This is on of those tough issues. In the guide on the front page, even though the poster could have omitted the information, they chose to be transparent and include it. The problem is that some people don't have the patience to wait, and so they shrug, and proceed to use methods not recommended. When Apple catches on, and we all lose functionality, we risk the very real fact that we are left with no options.

I understand the desire to have a fully functioning Hackintosh. Hell, I just purchased a $100 network card so I could use iMessage, and any second now it will sign me out, and I'll have spent that money for two weeks of iMessage. Unfortunately, if we don't show a little restraint, we might find there are no options if Apple catches on.

So the answer I have to all your questions is this. Ask yourself whether the potential short term gains are worth the possibility of a long term loss. If you are only going to use Hackintosh computers for the short term, and will be purchasing legit Apple computers in the future, then go for it. However, if you are planning on making Hackintosh a part of your regular upgrade cycle, I highly recommend you not make any decisions that could potentially make that an impossibility.

I think you are blowing things a bit out of proportion.
Apple has just tighten security and it had nothing to do with people cloning mac values. It had everything to do with people using non genuine values in fact.
I don't agree with cloning mac values and using them on various machines but if you have two machines, a hack and a real mac then I don't see much damage in that. If you are constantly on both at the same time it might be risky.
If you have a mac that does not access the net or one that does not use the services, like a broken one, I really do not see the harm in that.

I just did a build and fresh install of yosemite... system appears stable, finally, but when I tried iMessages for the first time I could not log in with my apple id, stating there was an error with activation.

Having read through this thread a bit, and not understanding a lot, it appears I am SOL for now and I don't wish to try and circumvent anything.

So nobody with fresh installs of yosemite are able to get iMessages working? Is that correct?

I think you are blowing things a bit out of proportion.
Apple has just tighten security and it had nothing to do with people cloning mac values. It had everything to do with people using non genuine values in fact.
I don't agree with cloning mac values and using them on various machines but if you have two machines, a hack and a real mac then I don't see much damage in that. If you are constantly on both at the same time it might be risky.
If you have a mac that does not access the net or one that does not use the services, like a broken one, I really do not see the harm in that.

The least risky case when spoofing ids from a real mac is when the real mac has the same system type as the hackintosh and the real mac stays offline. Apple probably still could figure out if it's real or not, but doesn't seem like it right now. In any other case: system type mismatch, concurrently connected... are a threat to the real mac ids getting blacklisted, or they could also block your AppleID (thus losing all purchases you have made: apps, music, movies...). They can do it if they want.

Our accounts are probably fine as long as we don't use some security flaw that "bad guys" can use. If they can distinguish a hackintosh user from a "bad guy", they'll start blocking accounts.

I just did a build and fresh install of yosemite... system appears stable, finally, but when I tried iMessages for the first time I could not log in with my apple id, stating there was an error with activation.

Having read through this thread a bit, and not understanding a lot, it appears I am SOL for now and I don't wish to try and circumvent anything.

So nobody with fresh installs of yosemite are able to get iMessages working? Is that correct?

Yes.

just did a fresh install and got the same message. will keep an eye on this thread for updates.

Just booted up my hackintosh for the first time in a couple of weeks (been using Windows for Office) and I've been logged out of iMessage and FaceTime. I've not triggered an update or anything.
EDIT: Done an update to OS X 10.10.1 and nothing has changed. Still not working. Shame as I got this working before once I got a 'valid' MLB and phone call into Apple.

Back