Contribute
Register
I keep seeing the advice to not clone from a real mac. I understand if 2 people log on at the same time but I have an old Mac Mini that is exclusively used as a HTPC running snow leopard. It will never even be logged in with any apple account.

Would there still be a danger in using the values from this mac?

Any idea how I can extract the MLB and ROM values from Snow leopard? iMessage Debug does not work, I tried the following which also did not work:

Mac-mini:~$ nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
nvram: Error getting variable - '4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM': (iokit/common) data was not found

Thanks

Maybe the MLB has a particular format like the main serial number of the computer.

Perhaps others could include the first two characters of their MLB string (not the hex value) ?

@P1LGRIM,

Thats kind of where i'm going on this thought trail at the moment - see Latest in the news item on front page of guide.

@All,

As P1LGRIM pointed out above its possible that some or all of the equivalent string characters of the MLB may be important, not sure about this but worth exploring ... if you don't mind could all of you who have already posted values edit your post and add the string equivalents of the MLB values, i don't think its a direct ascii conversion so this may help in my research.

Posting an edited output would probably be easer

Original post #2695 updated ... for above requests.

Cheers
Jay

I keep seeing the advice to not clone from a real mac. I understand if 2 people log on at the same time but I have an old Mac Mini that is exclusively used as a HTPC running snow leopard. It will never even be logged in with any apple account.

Would there still be a danger in using the values from this mac?

Any idea how I can extract the MLB and ROM values from Snow leopard? iMessage Debug does not work, I tried the following which also did not work:

Mac-mini:~$ nvram 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM
nvram: Error getting variable - '4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM': (iokit/common) data was not found

Thanks

Did you read post 2695 ?

So I had everything working for a few weeks. The other day I reset my iPhone and signed back into messages on it after i restored it and then I got the customer code error again when I rebooted my computer. I still have all of the same numbers on iMessage debug. I tried calling Apple with the code and they said they reset it several times, but it won't let me sign in. Not sure what to do at this point.

Did you read post 2695 ?

Sure did. I've read the entire thread start to finish numerous times.

Used that darwin dumper with your instructions and both the MLB and ROM were not contained in the uefi_firmware_vars.txt file that was generated. No clue why they aren't in there.

Can anyone please tell my the steps I would have to go through I just installed mavericks (10.9) on a Oracle Virtual Machine? Im having the same problem.

i don't think its a direct ascii conversion
Can you clarify what you mean my this? The output of the DarwinDumper tool looks like me like a "hexdump -C" style output which is the hex values and their corresponding ASCII equivelents. In fact you might want to point out in post #2695 that the characters between the vertical bar characters, i.e the '|'s, IS the ASCII equivalent and the corresponding ASCII characters *should* be xxxx'ed out as well otherwise you just gave away your MLB!! Looks like this mistake was made already.
iMessageDebug gave me the same exact ASCII values as the DarwinDumper ASCII.

Can you clarify what you mean my this? The output of the DarwinDumper tool looks like me like a "hexdump -C" style output which is the hex values and their corresponding ASCII equivelents. In fact you might want to point out in post #2695 that the characters between the vertical bar characters, i.e the '|'s, IS the ASCII equivalent and the corresponding ASCII characters *should* be xxxx'ed out as well otherwise you just gave away your MLB!! Looks like this mistake was made already.
iMessageDebug gave me the same exact ASCII values as the DarwinDumper ASCII.

Agree with you here. Just ran DarwinDumper on my MacbooAir and it show 17 bytes HEX and an ASCII equivalent value on the right.

Jay,

# of Bytes in MLB - 13
# of Characters in the string - 13
System Type - MacBook Pro 6,2
Last 4 of S/N - AAGU

First five HEX: 57 38 33 34 34
First five String: W8344
Last three HEX: 55 52 41
Last three String: URA

ROM is the MAC of the FireWire port minus Bytes 4 and 5 (ff:fe in my case).

Back