Contribute
Register
Jays iMessage Guide

I had iMessages up and running with Clover for several weeks, but it just stopped working late last week. Now I'm getting the following error:

"Could not sign into iMessage.
An error occurred during activation. Try again."​

I suspect the problem is that I used Clover to pick my serial number, ROM, and MLB numbers. I only noticed this was contrary to the guide's advice after I had iMessages up and running for a while, so I just stuck with it. But would it really take them this long to blacklist Clover-generated serial numbers?

My ROM, MLB, and serial numbers are still constant, my network remains EN1, etc. Nothing else should have changed.

My best guess is that I should create a new serial number, ROM, and MLB with Chameleon Wizard and give that a try.

But I'm reluctant to ping Apple with yet another new serial numbers etc. unless I'm sure that's the most likely solution. So I figured I'd mention it in case anyone else had experienced something similar, had other theories or ideas for fixes.

Thanks in advance! :)

Jays iMessage Guide

I'm also having some problems with iMessage. I recently reinstalled Yosemite to a new SSD - the rest of the hardware is the same. Before the reinstall, I had iMessage working on my install. I use Clover as suggested and before I reinstalled, I saved a few screendumps from Clover Configurator's Rt Variables and SMBIOS tab, so I had the UUID from my working installation.

I just went through the guide again and I just noticed this:
The IOReg key "system-id" (IORegistry: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id) should always be 16 x 16Bit unique hex numbers and will always be different to the OSXplatform & Hardware UUID regardless if manually injected or supplied by the BIOS.

My system-id is exactly the same as platform & Hardware UUID - why is that, and how do I change it?

I'm guessing thats why it's not working at the moment.
The first time I got it working, I had to call Apple with a validation code. This time I got a code again and called Apple. They approved it, but this time it didn't work right away. I can see, that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Do the rest of you have identical system-id and hardware-id ?

Jays iMessage Guide

I'm also having some problems with iMessage. I recently reinstalled Yosemite to a new SSD - the rest of the hardware is the same. Before the reinstall, I had iMessage working on my install. I use Clover as suggested and before I reinstalled, I saved a few screendumps from Clover Configurator's Rt Variables and SMBIOS tab, so I had the UUID from my working installation.

I just went through the guide again and I just noticed this:

My system-id is exactly the same as platform & Hardware UUID - why is that, and how do I change it?

I'm guessing thats why it's not working at the moment.
The first time I got it working, I had to call Apple with a validation code. This time I got a code again and called Apple. They approved it, but this time it didn't work right away. I can see, that I'm not the only one with this problem.

Do the rest of you have identical system-id and hardware-id ?

Mine are as the guide says, platform UUID and hardware UUID are the same, and the value for the system-id is different to those two.

Jays iMessage Guide

Finally got the customer code to call Apple. I called Apple, they asked me for my S/N, said I didn't have it on me, so they just asked me for my Apple ID and customer code. They said that the lock was removed, but I keep getting the same customer code.

Any thoughts? Should I call again? This first call is already logged on my support profile.

Thank you

The same thing happened to me. I guess I'll wait until tomorrow to see what happens. My iPhone stopped allowing iMessages for a little bit while I was dealing with it, but after signing out and back in a few times it works fine again.

My iMessages app will go through the first screen. Then it will show that it's not logged in when I attempt to send a message, and when I try to login through the accounts window that pops up, it fails again. A couple of times it went through at that point, but immediately logged me out before I could select what numbers and email addresses to allow.

Jays iMessage Guide

Jaymonkey - Thanks so much for the valuable information. I think I have a good understanding of how this all works and my values all seem to be working. Should I technically be able to sign out and sign back into my imessage if nothing has changed?

Jays iMessage Guide

I'd also like to say thanks to Jay for putting this guide together. Even if I can't fully resolve my issue, I really really appreciate this guide and the time it took to put it together.

Jaymonkey - Thanks so much for the valuable information. I think I have a good understanding of how this all works and my values all seem to be working. Should I technically be able to sign out and sign back into my imessage if nothing has changed?

cap2587,

Fully configured as per the guide you can log in and out of iMessages on as many systems as you like, it should work as expected.

Cheers
Jay

I had the same error message:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]"[/COLOR][B]Could not sign into iMessage. 
An error occurred during activation. Try again."
[/B]

The last days I tried to login, played around a lot and I always got this error message. I believe that my SN# got blocked somehow because of all these login tries.

So I decided to do everything from scratch. I used a new SN#, SmUUID, MLB & ROM.

I also noticed that there was a typo in my SmUUID configuration, I found that out, using the iMessage Debug script.

Now I got the message, to call support which means, I configured everything right.

Lets see if it works after I called support ;-)

Thanks Jay! You did an awesome job to put all these together! Chapeau!

@longagokids,

Glad your up and running, be sure to keep a backup of all your Critical ID's for future use and you should be fine. I believe that OSX S/N , Platform UUID (derived from system-id), MLB & ROM are all checked for vslidity during creation of the security token (initial iCloud registration) after which only MLB & ROM are used to re-authenticate the iMessage security token.

@elgipsy,

Glad your finally there, same applies as above .. keep those ID's safe. If you do install WiFi/BT4 card you should be fine. Disconnect system form internet before installing and apply binary patches via clover if necessary, run DPCI Manager and check that en0 has remained the same and new WiFi NIC is assigned next sequential number. If that looks ok run iMessage Debug and ensure all Critical ID's are the same. If all ok you should be good to go. If gaps in NIC enX numbering delete Network plists (Step-2) and try again. Only reconnect to network once all ID's are as they are now.

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay,

Sadly I'm back :(

So I got to the stage where I got the customer code and called support yesterday morning. They unlocked me and when I came home I tried to log in but again got the customer code.... I called again this morning, gave the file number and the customer code and they again said it was done.... I tried again to log in a couple of minutes ago but again got the customer code :(

Have I missed something, should I try to update to 10.10.1 and try again? I'm kinda lost :(

Sadly I'm back ..... So I got to the stage where I got the customer code and called support yesterday morning. They unlocked me and when I came home I tried to log in but again got the customer code.... I called again this morning, gave the file number and the customer code and they again said it was done.... I tried again to log in a couple of minutes ago but again got the customer code :(

Have I missed something, should I try to update to 10.10.1 and try again? I'm kinda lost :(

@elgipsy,

If your still getting this error then your ID's must still be changing, I'm assuming that the Customer code is different each time you go through this .... ?

Quote from Part-2, Step-8

Each device on your network will generate it's own unique customer code, so if you've got multiple hacks, first ensure that they all have valid and persistent ID's and that they always generate the same customer code each time you try to log into iMessage. If they generate different codes each time then one (or more) of your ID's is changing and you need to check everything again. If they are all consistent then make a note of all the Customer Codes, it's far easer to deal with all of them in one hit rather than calling Apple multiple times.

Cheers
Jay

Back