Contribute
Register
you don't need to pay apple to sort the customer code out i never had done and no 1 else has i know and people on this thread has make sure you have the update FileNVRam also make sure your Serial number and UUID matches as I'm using a genuine iMac 14,2 Serial Number my iMessage is perfect i never had to do no fixes for my system but after i got the Customer Code sorted i have noticed what so ever i sign into iMessage on any machine it logs me in now with no issues

Thanks for the guide .....I don't want to call Apple Support (I have the Customer Code message) to unlock my iMessage login until I have this persistence sorted.

I see lots of suggestions to move to Clover, but I don't really want to have to re-learn all the tricks I had to learn to get Chimera and Chameleon working properly, so I'd like to avoid that just now if possible.

Any advice on whether both MLB and ROM really must both be IDENTICAL (to their previous value) between reboots, or on how to make that happen?

@M9679,

Which motherboard do you have ?, is it on the list in part 2 of the guide ?

It's vital that your MLB and ROM remain persistent between boots. If you call Apple now they will remove the block but you'll get the problem again within a week or so as each time you connect to the internet Apple will log a different set of ID's once you hit a limit your AppleID/Device is locked. I've recently enhanced the explanation for this in various parts of the guide, read the very start of Part-1 and the beginning of Part-2, Step-8.

You should consider Clover ... as long as you can get it to work with your hardware then i promise it will resolve all of these issues for good. It makes it easy and works all the time.

Unfortunately Chameleon/Chimera and FileNVRAM are old in design and initially only really concentrate on getting OSX to load, as Apple improve the security of the AppleID eco system these utilities are falling way behind. FileNVRAM is a 'bodge' for Chameleons poor control over SMBIOS injection and creation of the nvram cache. No real new development has been done on either in the last few years, just small 'fixes' to keep up with new technology, these changes in Chameleon and Chimera have resulted in memory allocation tables being constantly changed which causes the mix/match issues with Chameleon and FileNVRAM. Complete control over nvram and SMBIOS is now critical. If you have SId bug and suffer from non persistent MLB & ROM then sometimes it is impossible to get a combination that fixes everything (that works with your BIOS & Hardware)

Clover on the other hand is written from the ground taking everything that was good about Chameleon and improving massively where it had poor support SMBIOS/NVRAM, it gives you complete control over everything critical for OSX to load, run and in iMessages case system identification.

It's no-more difficult to learn clover than Unibeast/Multibeast .. etc. All of the experience you have now with Chameleon/Chimera is all still valid, so your not starting over. You can still use Unibeast to install OSX (I do), you can still use Multibeast for Post install fixes, if you have UEFI you can even have Clover and Chameleon installed at the same time. If you have DSDT then Clover should be even easer as you can deselect all auto DSDT fixes and use Clover to inject Sm-UUID, OSX, S/N, MLB & ROM. Clover Configurator makes it easy (think of it like Chameleon Wizard, its a GUI to the Clover config plist) just be sure to always have the EFI partition mounted and you select the correct config.plist.

See my post here for a starting point

Cheers
Jay

Hey jaymonkey,

Thanks for your reply.

@morph21,

Thanks for the feedback but I don't understand why you think you need to Pay Apple for support on iMessage ?, no one on this thread has had to do that .... have you tried using the method to Contact Apple in Part-2, Step-8 ?
You're absolutely right about everything you said about the Apple Support Team. Despite the hours I had spent previously fixing iMessage, I followed your guide thoroughly, and despite not having success, I also found myself stuck at the automated phone filtering from Apple.

Turns out that I had registered my late 2009 iMac, and when I said Mac issues it used that registration as a baseline, and told me I had to pay for it.

Next call, I just did the standard answer: "What product you want support for?" and I kept replying "Apple ID", until at some point it gave up and redirected me to a person.

However, they used a SN that I had on record for my old iMac. I don't know how it would have been without that step.

Basically the big problem was the initial automated filter.
There will always be compromises when using a hackingtosh, with the way things are right now as long as you have good/supported hardware you should be able to get everything working, just be careful when install Combo updates - sure a bit of fine tuning is required to get certain hardware working but you should see that as a challenge rather than a chore.
I agree. However, it really gets the worst out of me when I come to the computer to work with something and that something suddenly has just stopped working. Drives me crazy. In this case, I think what messed up the ID was the update to iOS 8 on my phone and iPad. 10.9.5 shouldn't have brought that problem up, but who knows.

One more good thing about Clover. You can do the vast majority of fixes from its folder and that allows me to apply combo updates without having to do any extra thing afterwards. It really looks like a mac.

I won't deny though, when it stops working out of the blue like that, it feels like a chore. :cry:
I've always found Appel Phone support very professional and fantastic considering I don't own a MAC, not sure why you say its 'sad' you have to do the same for your other machine. If you follow the guide and get everything correct and persistent and use the same ID's in the future then you'll not see the problem again. The only reason your AppleID/Device got blocked is that your Hackingtosh was not set up correct in the first place .... you should always consider everyday with a Hackingtosh as a school day .... everyday you'll learn something.
That is the problem, I didn't change ANYTHING, and the setup has been around with the same numbers and IDs for a very very long time, over a year.

The reason it got blocked is probably years old, because when I started with the whole hackintosh thing I did several changes here and there and probably got flagged, but yet, iMessages and Facetime were working two days ago. So probably Apple implemented a more restrictive rule or something recently.

The sad part I mentioned was that I would have to call again because I didn't have my wife's customer case number with me. I could have used the same phone call.

The good part is that I'll probably update her computer to iMac 14,2 too, from the old Mac Pro 3,1. I didn't want to touch those old SMBIOS settings, but hey, since I'll have to call Apple, might as well update them for her as I did for my computer. :thumbup:

If I may say, Clover is THE BEST loader ever. Half of your guide was covered with all the variables and additional steps for NVRAM. It took me a while to get it going, but I wanted UEFI boot and today, I don't regret.

The great part? Once you get a good working Clover config, you can just put that in your USB installation pen drive and even if you have to use it as a backup to boot, it will have all the same information and configuration.

Thanks again for the guide.

I had to reinstall my System definiton, so my iMessage is blocked again .. and now my ROM and BoardSerialNumber are changing every time i start my computer. Can someone help me?

SOLVED: Simply reinstall my Hackintosh and install nvram and add new System UDID to smbios.plist :)

Last edited:
Called Apple today. No problem at all. The support guy even apologized for all the inconvenience this must have caused me. No questions about S/N, only security questions associated with my Apple ID to verify my identity.

iMessage stopped working for me a few days ago. I knew that my board had the SID Bug but it had not been a problem until recently... go figure. I use Clover soooo:

So I followed STEP 7 in this guide to fix the SID Bug - Check.

I injected the UUID and ROM (my MAC address) - Check.

Removed files per STEP 4 - Check

In STEP 5D when I added the MAC address to the ROM field in Clover Configurator it would not "keep" until I removed all : or %. JayMonkey your guide says to replace the MAC colons : with percentages % but for Clover you need to remove all those and just enter the raw numbers.

Several reboots and things are stable. I used iMessageDebug (which worked with my Clover install) to verify that things were staying stable - Check

I went to https://supportprofile.apple.com/ as explained in STEP 8 but as I attempted to add my cell phone number to the VoicePass option I ran into problems. Over 12 years ago I had set up a developer account and it still had my cell phone registered so I could not also add my cell to my main account. Apple is confused...

SO THEN I called Apple to fix THAT issue with VoicePass not accepting my cell phone number. I set up an appointment using the system found in STEP 8 (http://www.apple.com/support/country/) and they called back at the appointed hour as promised (NO CHARGE). Once we discovered what the issue with the phone number was I asked if he could help me with another problem.... :) (Jobs always like that "One More Thing.")

I gave him the iMessage code and he was unaware (remember I called about the VoicePass issue so I did not have a normal iMessage response person) of the problem. A few minutes of tapping on his keyboard he says "Aha!" and he "unblocks" my account. Viola! I never had to give him any Hackintosh info at all.

I have been using this guide ever since Jaymonkey put it together and have pretty much had iMessage working 99% of the time for the last 24 months since I built my machine. Thanks Jaymonkey!!!

Only recently did I get a lockout and had to ring Apple with a customer code. That is when I discovered...

My MLB and ROM data values will not stay persistent either:( However after calling Apple Support with a customer code three times within a matter of three days I have not had a lockout for over a month?

I have tried manually injecting MLB and ROM values to no avail. I am resistant to changing over to clover because I finally figured out how to use it to boot 10.9 , i'm not to sure on how to use it to mult-boot different versions of OS X. Am I incorrect in thinking you can only have one config.plist?

I have different versions of my config.plist depending on the version of OSX I am booting. I like to be able to boot the current and up to date version of OSX with iMessage working on my main drive, while having a spare drive partitioned into legacy drives with 10.6.8, 10.7.5, 10.8.5 all bootable (without iMessage) just for "fun". A separate drive is used for Windows 8 and I also boot Linux from a live USB:)

At the moment my main drive is booting 10.9.5 and still active with iMessage, and I will update you all once/if it becomes inactive again and I have to call Apple with a customer code.

Went on holiday and put my system to sleep while away. Came back and iMessage had been logged out (made inactive with red contact icons). Have not bothered calling Apple because my ROM and MLB values are still not persistent. I think I am going to take the plunge move to Clover by setting up a spare drive first as a test before migrating my whole system over to it for good.

Spang1974

Last edited:
I updated to 10.9.5 and the only issue is iMessage. I put Nvram onto Extra folder like i used to on previous version but now it signs me out immediately after logging in iMessage. Any idea how to fix this ? Any help is much appreciated ..

JayMonkey your guide says to replace the MAC colons : with percentages % but for Clover you need to remove all those and just enter the raw numbers.

@Bob_the_Tomato,

Thanks for the feedback 'Bob' .... the guide is correct, when injecting a hex value using OSX's nvram terminal command you must put a '%' in front of each byte to donate that what follows is hexadecimal and not Base64 this is only stated in the section titled 'Method for Chameleon & Chimera'. There is no mention of using '%' in the Clover Method section and I even included a screen grab to show that no % are needed ?

Cheers
Jay

Which motherboard do you have ?, is it on the list in part 2 of the guide ?

Yes it is the Gigabyte GA-Z77-UD5-TH. Pretty sure I have an ugly combination of SId bug and non-persisting ROM and MLB values.

It's vital that your MLB and ROM remain persistent between boots.

Yep, thought as much, thanks for double-confirming.

You should consider Clover ... as long as you can get it to work with your hardware then i promise it will resolve all of these issues for good. It makes it easy and works all the time.

Like the sound of that, and the strong endorsement. Sounds like I need to invest the time and I appreciate your comments on transferability of hard-won Chimera/Chameleon experience.

Back