Contribute
Register
Hi - I am having the same issue. I have done all the steps: My Ethernet connection is EN0, I have removed all of the iMessage/Messages preference files, cache files, etc... I do have to say however that because I am using an ASUS Z97 motherboard (also applies to ASUS Z87 motherboards) I have to either use the bootloader on the USB stick, or move it to the EFI partition. Currently, I am using a USB stick to boot. It sounds like this is the reason my computer will not generate the NVRAM plist file. Is there a way to fix this/ a way around this issue? I am confident that this will fix my Messages issue (when I try to log in I get the error: "Could not sign in to iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again."

I have the same issue as you with my Z77X motherboard needing the USB stick. If you notice when you boot into OS X and launch Messages, put in your password and hit cancel right away. Then hit sign in again.. iMessage will now sign in and you'll get the screen that says iMessage and you can be reached for messages at: listing your number and email(s). You click done and you will be brought to the normal iMessages screen, ready to send a message - however you aren't "really" signed in and all your contacts will appear offline if you try to message anyone.

I noticed this because when I launch iMessage after a clean boot and sign in, the Cancel/Not Now button fluctuates text at a very rapid pace, it might be hard to catch, before finally saying there has been an error in activation. I was hoping this information might help someone who understands technology better than I do come up with a reason as to why we can't sign in.

I have the same issue as you with my Z77X motherboard needing the USB stick. If you notice when you boot into OS X and launch Messages, put in your password and hit cancel right away. Then hit sign in again.. iMessage will now sign in and you'll get the screen that says iMessage and you can be reached for messages at: listing your number and email(s). You click done and you will be brought to the normal iMessages screen, ready to send a message - however you aren't "really" signed in and all your contacts will appear offline if you try to message anyone.

I noticed this because when I launch iMessage after a clean boot and sign in, the Cancel/Not Now button fluctuates text at a very rapid pace, it might be hard to catch, before finally saying there has been an error in activation. I was hoping this information might help someone who understands technology better than I do come up with a reason as to why we can't sign in.

I had the same symptom, and finally managed to get it working. I did this by going over the steps in the guide, several times.

AFAIK, we need MLB and ROM from registered hardware, such as real mac or hardware that can login imessage, the problem when we can't change our MLB and ROM value on nvram, such as on chameleon or chimera, you can read my previous post,

Although not clear in the post, I assume the device does not have Ethernet and has unsupported WiFi.

Exactly, The way my Acer S3 is setup, the Wifi-BT Dongle is actually soldered to the board, the available mPCI slot is being used by the SSD, i could easily buy a mPCI card and install it; but then i'd lost my hdd.

So, even if i try the Null-Ethernet Option it wouldnt work?
And yea, i have no LAN port in my ultrabook.

Exactly, The way my Acer S3 is setup, the Wifi-BT Dongle is actually soldered to the board, the available mPCI slot is being used by the SSD, i could easily buy a mPCI card and install it; but then i'd lost my hdd.

I think you are mistaken. A mobile PCI card is not the same as a mSATA card. The connectors are the same, and electrically they are compatible, but the protocols are different. A mSATA connects to SATA host controller, where a mPCI connects to a PCI-xpress, usually of the chipset. Looks the same, fits, but isn't the same.

@ms33,

You need to get your system booting for the internal SSD in order for FileNVRAM to work correctly, it wont work if your booting from USB. Install Chimera 3.0.1 Boot-Loader as detailed in the guide, make sure you setup com.chameleon.org.plsit and SMBIOS.plist and install FileNVRAM V1.1.3 to /Extra/modules. You should then be able to use ReHabMans suggestion to get 'eth0' shown as bulit-in.

Cheers
Jay

NullEthernet is what you need to have Ethernet at 'en0'.

Hi - I am having the same issue. I have done all the steps: My Ethernet connection is EN0, I have removed all of the iMessage/Messages preference files, cache files, etc... I do have to say however that because I am using an ASUS Z97 motherboard (also applies to ASUS Z87 motherboards) I have to either use the bootloader on the USB stick, or move it to the EFI partition. Currently, I am using a USB stick to boot. It sounds like this is the reason my computer will not generate the NVRAM plist file. Is there a way to fix this/ a way around this issue? I am confident that this will fix my Messages issue (when I try to log in I get the error: "Could not sign in to iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again."

I'm in the same boat with my Z97 build. I'm still booting from the USB and can't get iMessage to activate even though I tried all the above steps (and some others).

Could I use a NVRAM plist file from another computer?

I used FileNVRAM and followed thee steps and it worked great. Rebooted, iMessage was working again.

BUT, I had no sound. I went into multi beast to install the proper audio drivers, rebooted, and now I get the red text all over again, but my sound is back. Any idea what's going on/what I should do to get both working?

Edit:
GA-Z77-UP5 TH
Multi Beast.png

Back