Contribute
Register
So after discovering iMessage was still not working even after adding my debit card info I decided to remove it, I don't know I just didn't want apple having my debit card info . Anyways today I decided to buy an app I obviously was prompted to add a new payment method and so I did this time after adding my debit card info I forgot to remove it. .... I went to go sign in to iMessage and everything went through!

@DapperMan

You must have a valid credit card registered against your AppleID at all times, as explained in Step-1 of the guide, if you read through the thread you will see that a few other users did the same. A few years a-go iMessage did continue to work after removing a credit card, and indeed the guide used to say that you can remove your CC details once your account was verified. But I removed that from the guide about a year ago after the other users reported that it no longer worked.

Your tip of purchasing something from the App store or iTunes however is a good one, I suspect that by doing so might reset some flags in Apples database. Thanks for your feedback and i'm glad that its working for you now, I will reiterate that a credit card must be kept against the AppleID at all times and add your tip about purchasing something.

Cheers
Jay

I changed nothing since last time but today I am asked again for unlocking by calling Apple.
Maybe after 10.10 they changed something, or it was the chimera 3.0.1 + MB 6.3 (but I am quite sure I used iMessage after the update).

I changed nothing since last time but today I am asked again for unlocking by calling Apple.
Maybe after 10.10 they changed something, or it was the chimera 3.0.1 + MB 6.3 (but I am quite sure I used iMessage after the update).

@rad-we

When you updated to Chimera 3.0.1 ... did you change the OSX S/N and/or BIOS SystemId ?, this can also happen without you knowing if you change the System Type ID (eg form MAC Pro 3,1 to iMac 14,1) using Chameleon Wizard, as the System Type ID also uses the first two digits of the S/N (eg. CK Mac Pro, CO for iMac).

This could suggest that if you call Apple Support with a Customer Code and Apple do reset the UUID lock on your AppleID, it does not necessarily reset the number of times a miss-match has been detected thus if you change anything again it could trigger the lock out again ? maybe its only allowed once or twine, I know for a fact that I have changed the System Type (thus the S/N) at least once on two or three different systems which would suggest that you can do it at least once ....

Let me know how things go ...

@All

Might be interesting to build a test system to prove this theory, just need to create a new test AppleID (will have to be verified !) and inject a new random UUID as SystemId, then see how many times you can change the OSX S/N and/or UUID ?, I'd like to have a go at this sometime but it wont be anytime soon so if anyone reading this has a few spare hours and feeling adventurous give it a go and report your findings. It would be great to backup the theory with some evidence in the guide ...... Just be sure not to do it with your active AppleID, UUID and S/N ...

Cheers
Jay

Update: I have added the above information about the S/N as an important note to Part-1, Step-3 of the guide, it explains the S/N and System Type ID relationship a little clearer.

@rad-we

When you updated to Chimera 3.0.1 ... did you change the OSX S/N and/or BIOS SystemId ?, this can also happen without you knowing if you change the System Type ID (eg form MAC Pro 3,1 to iMac 14,1) using Chameleon Wizard, as the System Type ID also uses the first two digits of the S/N (eg. CK Mac Pro, CO for iMac).

This could suggest that if you call Apple Support with a Customer Code and Apple do reset the UUID lock on your AppleID, it does not necessarily reset the number of times a miss-match has been detected thus if you change anything again it could trigger the lock out again ? maybe its only allowed once or twine, I know for a fact that I have changed the System Type (thus the S/N) at least once on two or three different systems which would suggest that you can do it at least once ....

Apple reset it already once and I told them already I had an hackintosh, I hope they won't get angry this time.

Also, I did not modify any injected serial/UUID, they are still the same as the ones I used during last activation.

@DapperMan

You must have a valid credit card registered against your AppleID at all times, as explained in Step-1 of the guide, if you read through the thread you will see that a few other users did the same. A few years a-go iMessage did continue to work after removing a credit card, and indeed the guide used to say that you can remove your CC details once your account was verified. But I removed that from the guide about a year ago after the other users reported that it no longer worked.

Your tip of purchasing something from the App store or iTunes however is a good one, I suspect that by doing so might reset some flags in Apples database. Thanks for your feedback and i'm glad that its working for you now, I will reiterate that a credit card must be kept against the AppleID at all times and add your tip about purchasing something.

Cheers
Jay

The weird thing is that the first time I added a debit card info it didn't work! It must of been a glitch or something? Haha anyways the good thing is it works now so its all goodie :)

Apple reset it already once and I told them already I had an hackintosh, I hope they won't get angry this time.

Also, I did not modify any injected serial/UUID, they are still the same as the ones I used during last activation.

@rad-we

Yes I remember the first time you called Apple, I think you where one of the first people to post success ...

I don't understand why you've got the error again if the lockout was cleared by Apple and nothing has been changed since then ?... I hope your successful on your next call, if it works I would make a carbon copy backup of your system, that way if it happens again you can make the CC backup bootable and see if it works again, if it does the we can try and find what has changed (if anything) .... could be the start of a new issue or maybe Apple have now stopped removing the unlock for hackingtosh users ?

Please post and let us know how you get on.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

The weird thing is that the first time I added a debit card info it didn't work! It must of been a glitch or something? Haha anyways the good thing is it works now so its all goodie :)

At times, with some companies, you have to make a purchase with the debit/credit card for the info to stay in the system. This happened to me recently where my new credit card info wouldn't update until I purchased something at the same time as adding the new card info.

Maybe we need to use the credit/debit card once via iTunes to help iMessage to work?!:crazy:

I just checked my account and my payment method is PayPal, not a credit/debit card.

@DapperMan

As explained towards the end of Step-6 in Part-1 of the guide, sometimes it is necessary to try things more than once, iMessage is very very fussy, so much so that sometimes the order of the things you do can effect the out come.

There is a basic set of requirements that must be met for iMessage to work on a hackingtosh, if these requirements are met then iMessage should work. Thats why I try to write the guide as a tool box of procedures (steps) for you to use in resolving iMessage issues, just about everyone will have a different set of problems requiring the use of different 'tools', no one step can cover all the issues.

If you understand the problems then you learn ... and can give feedback which helps everyone.

iMessage can be very frustrating and can take a lot of time to fix, there are countless tips on hundreds of forum sites all over the internet, some are useful, some are not, many just tell you to do something without any understanding of what the issue is and thats not good for the community...

Thanks for your feedback, every successes (and fail) helps to make the guide better.

Cheers
Jay

At times, with some companies, you have to make a purchase with the debit/credit card for the info to stay in the system. This happened to me recently where my new credit card info wouldn't update until I purchased something at the same time as adding the new card info.

@John V,

It's a fair point but you would have thought that the Apple system would send an automatic email to its customers if your iMessage account is about to be 'disabled', so i'm not so sure. Its aways hard to know which issues are caused by things not working as opposed to Apple attempting to stop Hackingtosh users form using their services.

I'd like to think that they turn a blind eye to it as long as you own at least one legitimate Apple Device such as iPhone, iPad .. etc. After all OSX and IOS benefit massively from the hackingtosh / jail braking / open source communities, lets face it your more likely to get an iPhone if you have a hackingtosh which ultimately will lead more customers to buy into their eco system .... I would say that Apple are secretly happy about it, as more PC users get fed up with the direction M$ Windows has gone, surely Apply would prefer PC users to use OSX (now free) operating system rather than a competitors .. I'm not taking sides and don't want to get drawn into another OSX v Windows argument, thats not why you, me and everyone else are here ... just something to think about.

Maybe we need to use the credit/debit card once via iTunes to help iMessage to work?!:crazy:

Yes this was very recently suggested by @DapperMan (post #651) and I added it as a suggestion to step-1 (Credit Card section), its certainly something to keep an eye on, maybe we don't get those emails because our hacks do not have a legit S/N ?

I just checked my account and my payment method is PayPal, not a credit/debit card.

Your using PayPal as the payment method on your AppleID ?, I wasn't aware that was even an option ? and iMessage is working ok for you ? ..... interesting maybe thats something else that needs confirmation and put in the guide ?

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
Jay

@John V,

You're using PayPal as the payment method on your AppleID ?, I wasn't aware that was even an option ? and iMessage is working ok for you ? ..... interesting maybe thats something else that needs confirmation and put in the guide ?

Thanks for the feedback

Cheers
Jay

Yes I have been using PayPal as the iTunes payment method for a number of years... and iMessage has been working thanks to this excellent guide! (Would send a screenshot but too much private info on the iTunes Account page.)

iMessage has always been working on my HP Probook laptop, but I think that uses Clover.

Back