Contribute
Register
So I just tried what you wrote, rchork. Wasn't sure what steps exactly but I

Found HardwareUUID from System Profiler (5 blocks of several numbers). Opened the org.chameleon.Boot.plist in /Extras. Had to make a new SystemId tag in the same format as the other tags. Cut and pasted the HardwareUUID from above between <string></string>. Rebooted and....just like that iMessage started working again for me. Took a while to resync all the message that had come in the interm (several weeks) but yeah....it's syncing across my phone/ipad now and read receipts are work.

GA-Z87x-UD7 TH here.

I just did the same thing too.
iMessages WORKS! Issue seems has solved!
Thanks!!!
Only one question @rcork - How did you find this solution ?

I have a UP5-TH and iMessage stopped working sometime last week. I fixed it by finding my PlatformUUID from IORegistry and then adding SystemId to org.chameleon.Boot.plist with my PlatformUUID.

Thank you!! This works for me.

After restart I need to re-enter passwords for iCould, iMessage, FaceTime, and Mail. Messages I had during the past 10 days are not synced yet. Maybe it will take a while.

Also, color profiles and app positions in Launchpad are reset so I have to change them too.

I have a UP5-TH and iMessage stopped working sometime last week. I fixed it by finding my PlatformUUID from IORegistry and then adding SystemId to org.chameleon.Boot.plist with my PlatformUUID.

This is good news,

I received a few private msg's today informing that it is also possible to resolve this iMessage issue by adding the UUID to the two iMessage background processes plist's.

This ties in with what you guys have discovered. If SystemID is not set then FileNVRAM can not update the simulated nvram which means the two iMessage helper processes (imagent & imservice) can not retrieve the SystemID from the nvram to update their associated plists - thus creating the NULL value keys seen in the logs ?

It does all makes sense, it would suggest that the recent change at Apples end involves checking the value of SystemId with-in the iMessage security packets, if its not set then the check returns NUL ?

Which ties in with the original UUID mismatch/check theory quite well.

If thats the case then we now need to find out why SystemId is getting set on some motherboards and not others (possible BIOS issue ?), although to be honest as a belt and braces fix this seems to be an easy and secure way of making sure SystemId is always set to a random unique value.

Great work everybody, praise the power of the OSX Community . . .

Can all effected owners try this and give feed back...

If it looks like a fix i'll update the main guide.

Cheers
Jay

Adding the SystemId key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist did NOT work for me.

iMessage was working last night fine. This morning, no go. See screen shot of log.

When I add the HardwareUUID as SystemId key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, it changes the HardwareUUID on next reboot.

With no SystemId key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
Hardware UUID: 8E54167F-44E7-5711-8FD2-1A71D8AA8654

After adding SystemId key with the above Hardware UUID:
Hardware UUID: D20B494F-6BAF-5592-B79E-EABDEFC98C0F

After adding SystemId key with the above Harward UUID (D2…)
Hardware UUID: 80BEE0BE-B4F4-5A7F-9ACA-BFFF3A6E7AF8

I've attempted to delete the NVRAM plist, delete Keychains both system and user, all to no avail.

I'm on a MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard, connected via the RTL builtin ethernet.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 1.38.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-04-13 at 1.38.46 PM.png
    146 KB · Views: 153
Adding the SystemId key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist did NOT work for me.

iMessage was working last night fine. This morning, no go. See screen shot of log.

When I add the HardwareUUID as SystemId key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist, it changes the HardwareUUID on next reboot.

With no SystemId key in org.chameleon.Boot.plist
Hardware UUID: 8E54167F-44E7-5711-8FD2-1A71D8AA8654

After adding SystemId key with the above Hardware UUID:
Hardware UUID: D20B494F-6BAF-5592-B79E-EABDEFC98C0F

After adding SystemId key with the above Harward UUID (D2…)
Hardware UUID: 80BEE0BE-B4F4-5A7F-9ACA-BFFF3A6E7AF8

I've attempted to delete the NVRAM plist, delete Keychains both system and user, all to no avail.

I'm on a MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard, connected via the RTL builtin ethernet.

Soarhevn,

What is the error you're getting? Are you able to get into Messages and all of your contacts are red? Or are you having a sign in error?

I apologize I was not more specific.

I cannot sign in at all, I get "Could not sign in to iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again."

I posted a screenshot of the log error messages on my first post as an attachment.

"I have a UP5-TH and iMessage stopped working sometime last week. I fixed it by finding my PlatformUUID from IORegistry and then adding SystemId to org.chameleon.Boot.plist with my PlatformUUID."

i did the same thing as instructed... did not work =\ repair permission, restarted, log out of imessage and log in, did the same for icloud.

not working.

I just did the same thing too.
iMessages WORKS! Issue seems has solved!
Thanks!!!
Only one question @rcork - How did you find this solution ?

Once it was obvious that this was affecting everyone with UP5-TH motherboards (which I own) and not other boards, i remembered that the Platform UUID is not set correctly in the bios that Gigabyte provides. This was obvious the first time i installed FileNVRAM because the nvram plist had a generic UUID as part of the file name (nvram.00020003-0004-0005-0006-000700080009.plist). That got me to thinking that Apple might be checking the SystemID now so i used the following to get my PlatformUUID

Code:
ioreg -lw0 | grep PlatformUUID

Then i edited chameleon boot plist to add that as my SystemID. One thing to note, the SystemID is different from the Hardware UUID in System Profiler. Hardware UUID is generated from SystemID so they are not the same but if you change SystemID, HardwareUUID will change too.

Anyways, i hope this helps everyone who is having problems.

Back