Contribute
Register
I've never had any issues activating iMessage, but since I've upgraded to Catalina, I've noticed odd bugs/behavior with it. I haven't read other people exhibiting similar issues, so I'm wondering if it's just me?

The main issue I seem to be experiencing with iMessage is for some reason, if I send a txt, then close iMessage, if I reopen the app, occasionally the exact same text from the last message I already sent will be pre-filled in the re-opened window (ready to be sent again). This effectively has lead to some friends saying it always 'looks like I'm typing' to them for some reason (they get the little 'triple dot' icon on their screens constantly).

I've also noticed that iMessage doesn't always seem to properly remove conversations until I fully reboot the computer. Say I receive a txt from someone, and I click the x to close the conversation inside iMessage, then quite the app. If I re-open iMessage, that conversation often (but not always) shows back up, even though they haven't sent another message. If I reboot the computer, the conversation is closed properly as I would expect it. (Note, this is different from unchecking the 'save history when conversations are closed option). It's almost like the app is reading off of a cache somewhere or something, which is cleared when I reboot the computer.

Neither of these issues happened to me when I was on High Sierra. Anyone have any ideas? This is one of the last few remaining annoyances I'm experiencing on this build. iMessage, FaceTime, etc are otherwise all working as expected. Nvram is working. I've tried removing the caches for iMessage, network interfaces, and generating new serials. Problem still persists.

Last edited:
I need some help please. Does anyone have a suggestion for ways de debug an invalid ROM & Board Serial Number? iMessageDebugV2 reports a failed ROM and BoardSerialNumber. I followed the guide with a Designare Xtreme and Mojave 10.14.6, using iMac 19,1 and I get "failed" for both of these. I've also gone through the steps for fixing iMessage. Do any of you have suggestions for debugging this to figure out why the ROM & Board Serial Number come back as failed? Also, the data in the last 2 lines reported by iMessageDebugV2 are all zeros. Maybe that is a useful clue to someone.

I need some help please. Does anyone have a suggestion for ways de debug an invalid ROM & Board Serial Number? iMessageDebugV2 reports a failed ROM and BoardSerialNumber. I followed the guide with a Designare Xtreme and Mojave 10.14.6, using iMac 19,1 and I get "failed" for both of these. I've also gone through the steps for fixing iMessage. Do any of you have suggestions for debugging this to figure out why the ROM & Board Serial Number come back as failed? Also, the data in the last 2 lines reported by iMessageDebugV2 are all zeros. Maybe that is a useful clue to someone.
Assuming that your config.plist is correct then these symptoms point to a lack of native NVRAM support or an emulation of it.

Does anyone know what the "unknown error" corresponds to when attempting to sign into iCloud? I assume some other plist needs to be trashed.

On my current install iMessage/FT/iCloud work on the new account I created during installation, but an account that I imported via Migration Assistant gets an "unknown error" when attempting to sign in.

All necessary serials and UUIDs are being injected, persist through reboot, and work fine on the other user account.

So far I've trashed all plists in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration, plus the affected user account's keychain, as well as /Library/ApplicationData/iCloud.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I have a strange behaviour on my desktop machine: My Broadcom PCI card works OOB, and it has always worked so since it came more than 5 years ago; iMessage is working properly, MLB and ROM are ok, S/N is OK too, UUIDGEN, NVRAM and all the other stuff are OK, and I'm on iMacPro 1,1 sysdef. FaceTime is working when I make an audio/video FaceTime call, but when I make a normal phone call, it drops all the calls, I really don't know where to look at to fix the problem...

I tried the same phone call with my MBP it works perfectly so I don't think my iPhone can be the culprit, HandOff is ON on all my devices.... any hints?

CONTINUITY
WIFI+ETH
ETH
WIFI
GSM call X GSM call Y GSM call Y
GSM call: redirect from iPhone to Mac X GSM call: redirect from iPhone to Mac Y GSM call: redirect from iPhone to Mac Y
FaceTime audio: redirect from iPhone to Mac X FaceTime audio: redirect from iPhone to Mac Y FaceTime audio: redirect from iPhone to Mac Y
FaceTime audio: redirect from Mac to iPhone X FaceTime audio: redirect from Mac to iPhone Y FaceTime audio: redirect from Mac to iPhone Y

Last edited:
Can confirm this procedure still works on latest Catalina 10.15.4.

I use Catalina 15.4 with clover rn and you have to do everything that is given in this guide, I still get problem with the iMessage keep telling me to contact apple with the customer code thing.

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 14.32.26.png

But now I already solved this by following the guide no.8 for contacting apple support. So if you've done everything but still getting those customer code message just try contacting apple support. now u don't need to call because they have a live chat feature, thought this would be easier for everyone. thanks to ⇩⇩. and I now have a working iMessage and FaceTime. Thank you very much!!

How to Fix iMessage

Chapter: 8 - Contacting Apple Support

Last edited:
@innosensius,

Glad you found the guide helpful and your up and running.
The process outlined in Chapter 8 has changed a bit since i wrote the guide.
I really should try and find the time to update it to use the live chat method.

Cheers
Jay

Hi how can I contact the live chat ??

Back