Contribute
Register
I am new to the hackintosh world and I just got macOS onto my XPS 9570 and was trying to figure out how to get iMessage to work. But in every guide I've read it requires an ethernet connection but my laptop doesn't have any ethernet ports. I would appreciate some help.

I am new to the hackintosh world and I just got macOS onto my XPS 9570 and was trying to figure out how to get iMessage to work. But in every guide I've read it requires an ethernet connection but my laptop doesn't have any ethernet ports. I would appreciate some help.

@pikachucraft3,

iMessage and all of Apples iCloud services work fine on WiFi, Ethernet is not a requirement. You do need however a MacOS compatible WiFi combi card in your laptop, Intel Wifi cards are not supported nor are USB WiFi Dongles, it must be a Broadcom one and it must appear to MacOS as "Built In".

See this Guide for more info :-

Cheers
Jay

I'm new to Hackintosh. I'm using a precision m6800 with I7 4800mq. I followed this guide went through every chapter carefully but I still can't get it working.

Here is my question. In chapter 8 you have the message as "your apple ID can't be used....".

Is this still the message that apple uses?

The message I get is:
"You cannot sign in to iMessage on this Mac at this time.
To use iMessage with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below.
Customer Code: yada yada"

Should I call?

One more thing. When I went about changing the device ID, I made sure that it came up as a real mac in everymac but invalid on CheckCoverage as instructed. However after I tried to connect again with I message and it didn't work I checked again and this time it comes up as an IMac but it says purchase date cannot be verified. Is that supposed to happen?

Anyway thanks for the guide. It seems like a tremendous amount of work went into it.

I'm new to Hackintosh. I'm using a precision m6800 with I7 4800mq. I followed this guide went through every chapter carefully but I still can't get it working.

Here is my question. In chapter 8 you have the message as "your apple ID can't be used....".

The message I get is:
To use iMessage with this Mac, contact Apple Support and provide the code below.

Should I call?

One more thing. When I went about changing the device ID, I made sure that it came up as a real mac in everymac but invalid on CheckCoverage as instructed. However after I tried to connect again with I message and it didn't work I checked again and this time it comes up as an IMac but it says purchase date cannot be verified. Is that supposed to happen?

Anyway thanks for the guide. It seems like a tremendous amount of work went into it.
Yes, you should call them, takes 2 minutes... Provide the code you receive on iMessage and the serial number you're using (be sure you get the same verification code after each restart as mentioned on this guide). Good luck!

Hey,

I recently used this guide as a great tool for changing my SMBIOS on a cloned machine. Basically, I built an identical machine (All the same components) by cloning the drives but needed the serials, board serial number etc to be different. Everything works great except one thing- Remote login.

When trying to use software like anydesk or splashtop it won't let me add both computers. If I add one the other gets kicked out or the remote login code is the same. Everything is different in the SMBIOS except the 'board-ID'. I wondering if this is what could be causing the issues in thinking that 2 x HACKS are the same.

My question is - Do you think the 'board-ID' could be causing the problem? and can I change the 'board-ID' of one of the machines or does this have to be specific? I don't want to change this number if its not the problem.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Cloned machines will always cause conflicts on servers and should be avoided at all costs. There is absolutely no need to clone specifications of another machine unless the cloned machine is defunct and will never be used again. I suggest you generate and inject a different and new set of values for the second machine. It's a no brainer, no two machines will be allowed to be logged on bearing the same set of values, think of the security risks if that was allowed.

The message I get is:

Should I call?

Hey, were you able to fix it by calling? I tried calling today and the representative had me change some basic options in preferences that I knew weren't going to do anything. We were already half an hour in, so I figured I'd try again tomorrow with someone else.

Hey, were you able to fix it by calling? I tried calling today and the representative had me change some basic options in preferences that I knew weren't going to do anything. We were already half an hour in, so I figured I'd try again tomorrow with someone else.
Read the guide carefully; that is the last step to get it fixed.

My machine has been working flawlessly up until a week ago when iMessage requested my credentials again. Then I get the "An error occurred during activation. Try again" message. Also noticed that FaceTime is reporting the same error condition. I'm running 10.14.6 and from what I can discern I've not changed anything that would cause this. Restarted from my backup SSD and that behaves the same way. Created a new test account and that too throws the same error. Followed the steps in this guide and iCloud services work other than iMessage and FaceTime.

Ran iMesageDebug script which reported ROM: failed and BoardSerialNumber: failed. Is this the cause? If so should I create a new SerialNumber or SmUUID? Also noticed that my serial number begins with C0 which is listed in this guide as Taiwan (Quanta Computers). Could that be something that Apple flagged somehow on the backend which caused this?

Checked my serial number on checkcoverage.apple.com and received "We're sorry, but this serial number isn't valid". I believe that's a good response but the verbiage is a little different from what's listed in this guide so I'm not so sure...

Thanks for any direction / help you can provide!

Tom

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Ran iMesageDebug script which reported ROM: failed and BoardSerialNumber: failed. Is this the cause?

@tholstro,

Yes without persistent Critical System I/D's (eg: ROM, S/N ... etc) iMessage will not work.
Most likely cause is a NVRAM issue.

Should be no need to make new ID's .. you just need to make sure that NVRAM is working.

Checked my serial number on checkcoverage.apple.com and received "We're sorry, but this serial number isn't valid". I believe that's a good response but the verbiage is a little different from what's listed in this guide so I'm not so sure...

That is the correct response when checking S/N at Apples support site.

Cheers
Jay

Back