Contribute
Register
Happy to try that Jay, thank you.

I just tried to enable it and the Apple website told me:

I'll try again on Saturday then.. :)

Yes be patient ..... once 2FA kicks in everything should re-sync, i've seen this a few times now, let things settle down for a bit .... if things are still not working after a week, try reseting OSX & IOS network/iMessage config again.

Cheers
Jay​

Not to be redundant, but just FEI I followed the guide (using Clover r3193 EFI-mode) and used the alternative injection method for the MLB and ROM, and I'm happy to say everything works great (well, for the past 15 minutes anyway :p). I didn't need to call or anything, all went through perfectly.

I had this rig on Chimera before and iMessage did not work at all, so it definitely helped to switch to Clover, but note that I re-used the exact same S/N, ROM ans UUID; only the MLB I changed.

And as an aside, I use 2FA without a hitch.

Hopefully it works for all of you, and it will stay like this for a while... Thanks Jay for the thorough guide, really helped!

Not to be redundant, but just FEI I followed the guide (using Clover r3193 EFI-mode) and used the alternative injection method for the MLB and ROM, and I'm happy to say everything works great

@technosinner,

Glad your up and running, thanks for your feedback.

Cheers
Jay

The same advice still stands but even more so if your board is not UEFI ....

Booting Clover in non UEFI mode from the EFI Partition is slightly unusual but not un-heard of , I do it with my Sony Laptop - it's sort of a Hybrid boot mode .. the BIOS boots the boot-loader stub from from the root of the EFI Partition, You can tell if you installed Clover in this mode if there is a 'boot' file in the root of your EFI partition :-

View attachment 133872

As I said this is a special case and usualy needs to be supported by a special flag in your BIOS, On my Sony's H2O BIOS the option is called 'Boot EFI first'.

By installing Clover on the EFI partition but booting in legacy mode you could be complicating things for yourself, check to see if you have a /EFI folder in the root of your OS X Startup drive, if there is and it has a Clover sub folder then the chances are that your system is booting from there and not from the EFI Partition.

Copy your edited config from /EFI/EFI/Clover to /OS X Startup drive/EFI/Clover - or re edit it, if this turns out to be the case then i would delete everything from your EFI partition or reformat it from the command line.

Please note that this issue is really off topic, as its a Clover issue not iMessage, if you continue to have Clover problems you should post your questions in to the appropriate thread.

Cheers
Jay
@jaymonkey
I appreciate your attempts to assist me with this persistent problem, but respectfully, how is this anything but an imesage issue? I boot to Clover routinely with no problem and all aspects of my system functions without issue with the one exception of iMessage/Facetime. I'm quite certain that posting my iMessage issue in a Clover forum would result in them sending me here for a solution. I recognize my issue appears to be uncommon and perhaps no solution is readily available, but surely this forum represents my best chance at a solution. If you are officially disallowing my further participation in this forum due to "off topic" status I wonder if you might provide a link to a more appropriate forum.

In response to your suggestions above, I have nothing related to anything except "EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap in any of my EFI partitions and as expected in a legacy Clover install, the EFI folder resides in the root of my boot drive. There are no extraneous config.plist files, only the one residing in EFI/Clover. I have discovered (using DarwinDumper) that the persistent 16 character MLB that shows (no matter what values I place in RT variables fields) appears with DarwinDumper in the "NVRAM" tab under the "uefi_firmware_vars" section. Maybe this means something to someone or maybe this is just to obscure. Also, DarwinDumper "NVRAM" tab under "nvram.plist" shows ROM and MLB values different from those I placed in RTVariables field. It seems the injected values are over ridden by those being presented with DarwinDumper. Might this have something to do with the firmware in EFI? I welcome further comment or a link to a more appropriate forum. Thank You.

If you are officially disallowing my further participation in this forum due to "off topic" status I wonder if you might provide a link to a more appropriate forum.

@RandomNumber,

Sorry bro, i was merely suggesting that if the issue was with Clover not working you may want try posting in a thread that may be better suited, sorry if i came across any-other way.

In response to your suggestions above, I have nothing related to anything except "EFI/APPLE/EXTENSIONS/Firmware.scap in any of my EFI partitions and as expected in a legacy Clover install, the EFI folder resides in the root of my boot drive. There are no extraneous config.plist files, only the one residing in EFI/Clover.

Ok lets clear a few things up, because i think i may be confused ...

From your previous post I understood that you where editing the config in /EFI/EFI/Clover (on the normally unmounted EFI partition) .... however from what you just posted it would suggest that you have Clover installed in the root of your OS X drive /EFI/Clover (normal legacy mode).

Can you please confirm where Clover is installed, it should only be installed in one place, either on the EFI Partition or the Root of OS X Drive. Please check in both locations.

If you want to PM me your config.plist i'll take a peek and see if i can spot anything.

Cheers
Jay

Jaymonkey thanks for your guide. I made a couple of configurations and both successfully. I had to call apple but it was worth.
I have a third configuration than 17 characters MLB has also worked.

Jaymonkey thanks for your guide. I made a couple of configurations and both successfully. I had to call apple but it was worth.
I have a third configuration than 17 characters MLB has also worked.

@camillionario,

Great work, thanks for the feedback ....

You may want to try the Alternate ROM Method which for most users works and no need to call Apple.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey
......It seems the injected values are over ridden by those being presented with DarwinDumper. Might this have something to do with the firmware in EFI? I welcome further comment or a link to a more appropriate forum. Thank You.

I too have the same/similar problem in my other hack, basically ROM is being presented as something totally different to what I have injected through RTVariables, and MLB is presented as (null). No matter what I do on this particular system I cannot manage to have "my" MLB/ROM values set into NVRAM.

The system in Question is an older Core2Duo with legacy BIOS (3.0Ghz 8400 on a GA-G33-DS3R motherboard and set as an iMac 10.1 - though Clover "detects" as an 8.1, also 13 char MLB as S# is 11 char), and booting from the EFI Partition - there is NO EFI folder in the root of the system drive, and the "old" boot file has been renamed to "boot.no".

Whilst this is not "my" rig as such (mine works perfectly), it's for the kids, and I don't really care whether iMessage works or not, I guess I want it to look "right" from a system perspective, in case my boys decide to fire up iMessage.

FWIW, I set up as legacy mode for Clover 3913, following the details set out in the TonyMac topic on www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html - as an upgrade from Mavericks to Yosemite.

Last edited:
I too have the same/similar problem in my other hack, basically ROM is being presented as something totally different to what I have injected through RTVariables, and MLB is presented as (null). No matter what I do on this particular system I cannot manage to have "my" MLB/ROM values set into NVRAM.

@begleyj & @Random Number,

I guess its possible that Clover may have issues with certain hardware ...

You might want try updating the BIOS which has helped a hand-full of users to get things working correctly, its a long shot but you never know....

You could also try taking a look at 'EmuVariable' or similar which is a plug in/driver for Clover that is supposed to help with sorting NVRAM issues out on older hardware, however you should do some research first as there are different versions (64/32 bit) and (uefi/non uefi) i've never had to use it myself as most of my hacks are running on recent Gigabyte hardware which has good NVRAM emulation when used with Clover.

If i think of anything else i'll let you know.

Cheers
Jay

Hi, hope someone can help.

Following the guide, I have managed to get iMessage working flawlessly on my Hack. Everything works, including text forwarding with iPhone/ipad and iPhone cellular calls via FaceTime. All is well on my account and has been for last couple of months.

The issue I have is with my wifes AppleID. She has a separate user account on the Hack and her own AppleID.

Problem: When log in to iMessage on her local account, using her AppleID we get the Call Customer Support Code.

What I've tried: Called Apple, several times. They remove the block from the AppleID and initially, it appears we have logged in, but can't send messages. Quit iMessage and log back in and we get the exact same customer code. Apple then try to go into all sorts of diagnostics which make me nervous so I hang up.

Further info:
1. The AppleID password is good, have tried changing also, makes no difference
2. Credit card is registered to AppleID
3. iMessages/FaceTime works with same AppleID on wifes iPhone
4. iMessage/FaceTime working flawlessly on my local account on same hack. Can log in and out of iMessage with no issues also

Any help/pointers appreciated

Back