Contribute
Register
I have been over this thread and parts 1 and 2 extensively and of course have tried and correct over sights on several occasions. I and down to the last few issues before I re-try iMessages again.

1) The platform id and the hardware id match.

2) I have reviewed and looked on several occasions to review the :The IOReg key "system-id" (via IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id) should always be 16 x 16Byte unique hex numbers and will always be different to the OSX platform & hardware UUID regardless if manually injected or supplied by the BIOS.
The UUID in the nvram.UUID.plist filename located in the /Extra folder should be the same UUID as the key system-id (via IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id)

Where can I find the " IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id". I have been at this for several hours.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Where can I find the " IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id". I have been at this for several hours.

Google IORegistryExplorer

Good Luck

I finally tried calling Apple (from the US). I was told my serial number was invalid but they still worked with me on the issue. They tried safe mode, using a different user. I said I needed to go once they suggested recovery mode and reinstalling Mavericks. Interestingly during the process of trying with them, the "There was an error with activation. Try again" message went away and let me into the messages app although with an inactive account. From the accounts page in preferences I get a new message: "Could not sign in. Please check your network connection and try again." My network connection still works fine. So now a different error message and still no solution after calling apple. Let me know if anyone has this error and found a solution.

I have been over this thread and parts 1 and 2 extensively and of course have tried and correct over sights on several occasions. I and down to the last few issues before I re-try iMessages again.

1) The platform id and the hardware id match.

2) I have reviewed and looked on several occasions to review the :The IOReg key "system-id" (via IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id) should always be 16 x 16Byte unique hex numbers and will always be different to the OSX platform & hardware UUID regardless if manually injected or supplied by the BIOS.
The UUID in the nvram.UUID.plist filename located in the /Extra folder should be the same UUID as the key system-id (via IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-id)

smithsr93,

Just like Windows, OSX stores some important system information in a hierarchal indexed registry, when you see something like:-

"IORegistryExplorer: IODeviceTree : efi / platform / system-i"

in a post It informs you that you need to look in the registry at that location

In order to view OSX's registry you need to use the official Apple utility called 'IORegistryExplorer' which you can download for free from the Apple developers site or use a 3rd party app such as IOJones :-

http://sourceforge.net/projects/iojones/

IOJones works just like Apple's IORegistryExplorer but does not require an Apple developers account.

Download IOJones, Install and run

At the top left you will see a selection box, which usually defaults to 'IOService' , OSX's registry comprises of several separate area's (like windows) that stores information for specific parts of the system , click on the selection box and change it to :-

'IODeviceTree'

Just below this you should see a new tree open up beginning at 'ROOT', if necessary expand the tree by clicking on the arrow, scroll down the tree util you see:-

'efi'

If the tree is collapsed click on the arrow to expand it ... carry on until you see:-

'platform
'

Clink on it, all of the system properties for that sub section of the registry will open on the right
Scroll all the way down the right panel until you see:-

'system-id' it should have a data vale of 16 x 2 digit hex numbers.

Ideally if all is working correctly this should match the SM-UUID that comes from the BIOS or is manually injected to negate the SId Bug or to override the default BIOS SM-UUID.

It should not match the Hardware ID (from System Info) and/or Platform UUID (via terminal)

You will notice that this is also the part of the registry where OSX stores the SMBIOS values and things like the System Type, Serial Number ... etc

Hope this clarifies things for those who are not familiar with OSX's registry.

Cheers
Jay

Success - I've now had iMessage working for the past 24 hours on my GA-Z77X-UD5H. Steps I took:

1. Replaced my FileNVRAM.kext with 1.1.2 (1.1.3 didn't work)
  2. Deleted nvram file in /Extra
  3. Ran sudo nvram boot-args=""
  4. Deleted nvram file in /Extra again
  5. Kill securityd_service, then securityd process
  6. Removed all files metioned in step 4 (particularly the com.apple.security.* ones)
  7. Rebooted - only kernel flag was darkwake=0

Console.png

I thought I'd add what the console has been showing when trying to log into messages. I've repeated the steps of the guide and changed FileNVRAM.dylib to 1.1.2. Now I now longer get an error just a perpetual spinning busy symbol on the iMessage login screen.

Hey guys, I've gone through steps 1-6 a number of times for the last few days... but nothing can get me past the "An error occurred during activation. Try again." message. I'm just wondering if anyone can make a suggestion for what I should try next because I'm all out of idea...

I've got a Z77-UD5H.

@jaymonkey:

Oh well, that really sounds like a pain in the arse. Sadly I can't try that at the moment because my Fusion Drive holds ~1.8TB of data at the moment, and I got not spare hard drive beside my time machine backup (which I don't want to format).

Could you please explain in more detail what FileNVRAM.dylib does and why the resulting nvram.uuid.plist can't just be copied over to the helper partition? I still don't get why iMessage even worked in first place, from what I've read my method (copying nvram.uuid.plist over) should never have worked before...

I just considered if it was possible to unhide the hidden helper partition and replace /Extra on my system drive with a symlink to the Extra-folder on the helper partition...

Oh well, that really sounds like a pain in the arse.....Could you please explain in more detail what FileNVRAM.dylib does and why the resulting nvram.uuid.plist can't just be copied over to the helper partition? ....

@Fl0r!an,

Yes it is a total PITA ....

FileNVRAM's scope and operation is covered in detail in Steps 5a & 5b of the guide, the reasons it doesn't work after a 'glitch' or iMessage logout for Raid/Fusion drive users is explained in the Section titled 'Further notes for RAID Users' towards the end of part of 1 the guide.

@All,

I have added a new section to part 1 of the guide - Step 5d details how to use iMessage Debug and check your MLB & ROM values stored in NVRAM

Cheers
Jay

Thanks man! That new section is exactly what I was looking for!

As it turned out, the ROM entry in my NVRAM was empty (all zeros), while MLB seems to have a valid value.
I've edited the nvram.uuid.plist on my helper drive (ROM section is zero there, too) to hold the value mentioned in post #694. (Didn't modify MLB though).
Reboot -- works! (not the best way, I know, but it'll do).

EDIT: Lol, my phone number has been removed from my Apple ID. Not only on my hackintosh, but also on my iPhone. :D

EDIT2: Okay, hat to reactive iMessage on my iPhone, phone number is back now. I'll try to find out why my ROM is invalid...

Back