Contribute
Register
I've tried everything mentioned here. I still get an activation error. GA z87n-WIFI. My BSD ports are EN0 (ethernet) EN1 (Ethernet) EN3 (Wifi). I installed chimera 3.0.1 but it still says I'm using chameleon R2286 when I boot. I've tried both NVRam 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. Everything worked until I updated iTunes. I have windows on a second hard drive and I'm not sure I can restore from an time machine backup before iTunes. Once before it stopped working completely I had the "red name" situation in Messages suggesting the System ID issue though my MB is not one of those listed as affected. Do I need to restart from step 1 of the guide each time I try something? Any other ideas?

I've tried everything mentioned here. I still get an activation error. GA z87n-WIFI. My BSD ports are EN0 (ethernet) EN1 (Ethernet) EN3 (Wifi). I installed chimera 3.0.1 but it still says I'm using chameleon R2286 when I boot. I've tried both NVRam 1.1.2 and 1.1.3. Everything worked until I updated iTunes. I have windows on a second hard drive and I'm not sure I can restore from an time machine backup before iTunes. Once before it stopped working completely I had the "red name" situation in Messages suggesting the System ID issue though my MB is not one of those listed as affected. Do I need to restart from step 1 of the guide each time I try something? Any other ideas?

@accountmac,

From what you describe everything sounds correct, don't worry that Chimera 3.0.1 says R2286 on boot, its because Chimera is based on the core code of Chameleon. when you say you've tried everything have you tried removing the security plists detailed in the update to step 4, part 1 of the guide ?

I am 99.9% sure that this latest iMessage issue has nothing to do with the iTunes update, it seems more likely to be connected to the iMessage outage reported worldwide around 8/9 of Aug, although why it seems to effect some users and not others is unknown at this time. I and others have been able to reactivate iMessage on a number of machines using the following procedure.

• Follow all of step 4 including the optional step detailed in the update.
  • Clear the NVRAM boot args - sudo nvram boot-args=""
  • Remove nvram.uuid.plist from /Extra
  • Empty the trash
  • Reboot
There should be no need to inject SM UUID on GA-Z87N-WiFi its bios is not effected via the SId Bug, i have same Motherboard in two of my systems here and iMessage is working fine ...

If the above does not work for you try looking in your console log for pointers .....

Try to keep an update Timemachine backup at all times, you never know when you might need it.

If all else fails you could try a re-install of OSX which some users have done, however i personally have not had to do that in order to get iMessage working again.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

Force quit 'securityd' and 'securityd_service' in Activity Monitor, THEN delete the files. You may have to quit them multiple times but I eventually got mine to not come back. Quit one then the other, vice versa if they persist on coming back.

@rockinwaggy,

It's interesting you found it necessary to force quit the two security services before you could remove the security plists, while it makes perfect sense, I myself did not find it necessary. In my case i did the procedure detailed in the above post and iMessage started working again on the next reboot. I would appreciate any feedback from others if you found it necessary to do this......

Cheers
Jay

Hey, Im a bit of noobe in this but Ive gotten up to step 5 and I've added the nvram plist, when I noticed I can't actually login. Whats happening is i just get a blank grey area even when i click on it, nothing

@j0moi,

Yikes ..... never, ever seen that before ..... if it were me i would try to reset all the iMessage plists ... etc, try Step 4 again. Do you own a legit Apple device (iPhone, iPad ..etc) check the status of your AppleID via the web manager see step - 1.

Good Luck
Cheers
Jay

@rockinwaggy,

It's interesting you found it necessary to force quit the two security services before you could remove the security plists, while it makes perfect sense, I myself did not find it necessary. In my case i did the procedure detailed in the above post and iMessage started working again on the next reboot. I would appreciate any feedback from others if you found it necessary to do this......

Cheers
Jay

I hadn't been emptying the trash until I read that. And yes, I had to kill those services to empty it.

It still didn't help.

I'll try repeating step 4 with the addition of the nvram stuff later today & see if that works.

Allright, so I had that "Your AppleID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time" error and called Apple since all the other solutions I tried didn't work.

For people that are a bit afraid to call them don't worry, just be sure you have these things:

- A real Apple Hardware SerialNumber added to your bootloader, as many people already said, check Google and use: https://selfsolve.apple.com to check it. Be sure the serial number matches your SystemProfile/SMBios e.g. iMac Late 2013 should have a late 2013 s/n.
- An iOS or other Mac with iMessage working (they will ask if you have, not needed but just in case..)
- The customer code that iMessage shows and iMessage opened at the login Window.

When you call them the following will happen.

- You hear an automatic voice telling you all the options, you want to connect to the computer helpdesk (I connected to "Other" and well, the call took 20 minutes with redirecting..).
- Tell them you have issues with logging in to iMessage on your iMac/Macbook/Mac Pro and that you're seeing a customer code (use the device from the real serial number)
- They will ask you for the code iMessage shows.
- They will ask for your AppleID that you're trying to log-in with.
- They will ask you if you have other devices with iMessage that works.
- After that they will probably put you on hold to enjoy some telephone quality music.
- Then they will ask you if you can login and it would work!

The guy from Apple didn't understand this error at all since it's very rare in Europe he said, I just thanked him and well that was it.

iMessage works again :D
This reminds me to never change my s/n again..

Allright, so I had that "Your AppleID can't be used to set up iMessage at this time" error and called Apple since all the other solutions I tried didn't work.

For people that are a bit afraid to call them don't worry, just be sure you have these things:

@iTimOSX,

Thanks for posting feedback on your experience in contacting Apple, i'm not sure if its absolutely necessary to have a valid Serial no as confirmed through selfsolve. As far as i know this is purely to check if your product is still in warranty or has extend service contract.

If you experience the iMessage alert with a customer code your only option is to call Apple to remove the lockout or try to inject MLB & ROM values directly into NVRAM as detailed by heryts see post #698 - However this does require a real mac's MLB & ROM value.

Many users on this thread have had success getting Apple to remove the UUID lockout using a non real Mac S/N, using just the quoted Customer Code from the iMessage alert, however i can appreciate that having a real MAC S/N would help the cause. Most people just say that they are not at home so don't know the S/N.

I think as long as you own at least one legit Apple device registered with the iMessage service they will help you, remember they are supporting the software and not the hardware in these iMessage cases ....

And yes as detailed in the guide try to avoid changing S/N & SM-UUID once iMessage is working, always keep a separate backup of your /Extra folder.

Cheers
Jay

Is your only Apple desktop/laptop product your Hackintosh?

No. I also have an iPhone 5s and an iMac.

And who did you speak with at Apple?

The error message lead me to a website with phone numbers for many countries. I called the number for my country.

@iTimOSX,

Thanks for posting feedback on your experience in contacting Apple, i'm not sure if its absolutely necessary to have a valid Serial no as confirmed through selfsolve. As far as i know this is purely to check if your product is still in warranty or has extend service contract.

If you experience the iMessage alert with a customer code your only option is to call Apple to remove the lockout or try to inject MLB & ROM values directly into NVRAM as detailed by heryts see post #698 - However this does require a real mac's MLB & ROM value.

Many users on this thread have had success getting Apple to remove the UUID lockout using a non real Mac S/N, using just the quoted Customer Code from the iMessage alert, however i can appreciate that having a real MAC S/N would help the cause. Most people just say that they are not at home so don't know the S/N.

I think as long as you own at least one legit Apple device registered with the iMessage service they will help you, remember they are supporting the software and not the hardware in these iMessage cases ....

And yes as detailed in the guide try to avoid changing S/N & SM-UUID once iMessage is working, always keep a separate backup of your /Extra folder.

Cheers
Jay

The guy at the other end of the phone asked for the s/n and told me "Well, that's a nice 27 inch iMac" I used that iMac in my SMBIOS and used a valid serialnumber, but well it made me laugh a bit :lol: But maybe he asked for it because I connected to the wrong helpdesk at first.

I must say that I didn't try the try to inject MLB & ROM values since some people said contacting Apple worked faster, and the phonenumber was free here luckily.

Anyway, it works now again after a while and I hoop it keeps working..

Thanks!
Tim

Back