Contribute
Register
Hello,

Also facing the same difficulties with iMessage I looked at the IDs with iMessage debug. All IDs are persistent with time/ reboot so this is good but strangely the ROM ID reported by iMessage debug is different from the one that I have in config.plist ! the ROM ID reported in IMessage debug diverged only by the 6 first digits, the last 6 ones being the same.... All other IDs (SN, BoardSNB/MLB, SmUUID, board ID) being exactly the same.
Not sure if this is really a problem but quite intriguing. Any idea what could cause that?

Just for curiosity, I was wondering why is the ROM ID not reported in the System Report? is there any other place where this value could be found?

Thank you very much !

Last edited:
Hello,

Also facing the same difficulties with iMessage I looked at the IDs with iMessage debug. All IDs are persistent with time/ reboot so this is good but strangely the ROM ID reported by iMessage debug is different from the one that I have in config.plist ! the ROM ID reported in IMessage debug diverged only by the 6 first digits, the last 6 ones being the same.... All other IDs (SN, BoardSNB/MLB, SmUUID, board ID) being exactly the same.
Not sure if this is really a problem but quite intriguing. Any idea what could cause that?

Just for curiosity, I was wondering why is the ROM ID not reported in the System Report? is there any other place where this value could be found?

Thank you very much !
Hi see attached, the ROM value should be made up of 12 characters containing numbers and letters.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 02.11.06.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 02.11.06.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 131
Those trying to get Apple services to work should know that a MAC address has nothing specifically to do with a Macintosh computer. PCs have them too. It's an acronym for Media Access Control address.

MAC Address or media access control address is a unique ID assigned to network interface cards (NICs). It is also known as a physical or hardware address. It identifies the hardware manufacturer and is used for network communication between devices in a network segment. MAC Address usually consists of six groups of two hexadecimal digits.

The network adapters or network interface cards always come with a MAC address which is fed into hardware, usually in read-only memory (ROM), or BIOS system. The physical address is stored into the NIC by its manufacturer, that is why this address is also called a burned-in address (BIA) or ethernet hardware address.

The MLB or (Main Logic Board) is the serial specific to only your motherboard, similar to the MAC address being completely unique to your NIC. MLB is the same thing as the Board Serial Number.

Having a unique MLB and ROM are critically important in getting Messages and iCloud to work on your hack.

Screen Shot 24.jpg

Last edited:
Go to System Preferences/Network/Advanced and then click on the Hardware tab and you'll see it.

You can generate a random 12 character ROM by using Clover Configurator but using your own hardware's MAC address guarantees that no one else is using that ROM on their real Mac or hackintosh. Only your NIC has that address burned in.

Screen Shot 23.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Dell Optiplex 7070 that is running Catalina. I've been unable to get iMessage to work. I've generated new unique MLBs, Serial Numbers, SmUUIDs, and have the correct type. I also have created a couple of new Apple IDs to avoid locking out my normal Apple ID. I'm using OpenCore. I tried four times prior to taking a holiday during Christmas last year. I always got the message that there was an error and to contact Apple.

Today I tried again using this guide: https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Post-Install/universal/iservices.html

I have a friend that has the exact same model 7070 and used his USB install stick with the MLB, serial number, and UUID changed. iMessage works just fine on his.

I'm wondering if there's another setting in my config.plist that matches his that's throwing off mine. Any ideas?

Hello,

Following all advices in this thread for iMessage, I havent been trying log into iMessage since December 2020. I have tried this week (first time in 4 months now) to log in using either my newly created AppleID (created in September 2020) in which all my other apple devices (in total 5 are connected) or to the old one from my sister (created prior 2015). In both cases I can't log into iMessage (iCloud login is OK in both cases though). Just to clarify, iMessage debug returns always the same values for ROM, MLB ans serial numbers for my hack (I havent changed any of the parameters). I am wondering now is it a desperate case to have any hack connecting OK to any type of AppleIDs? Not sure what to do anymore ... thank you very much for any kind of help that you might provide

Last edited:
Hi - In cases such as you described, one way of testing the iMessage credentials of the machine is to ask someone or a family member (case sensitive) to logon using the guest account. If successful, then the problem is not within the machine but with your details on it.

Hi - In cases such as you described, one way of testing the iMessage credentials of the machine is to ask someone or a family member (case sensitive) to logon using the guest account. If successful, then the problem is not within the machine but with your details on it.
@esafeddie Many thanks for your reply. So to make sur I understand: do you mean logging on my hackintosh with the guest account and then logging into iMessage with an unrelated AppleID?

@esafeddie Many thanks for your reply. So to make sur I understand: do you mean logging on my hackintosh with the guest account and then logging into iMessage with an unrelated AppleID?
Hi - Get someone with their own Apple account and pass word to logon in your machine using the guest account to test if the problem is with the machine. Get them to test send and receive iMessage, if they achieve this exercise, then the problem is not the machine as such but will be your account details on this machine.

Hi - Get someone with their own Apple account and pass word to logon in your machine using the guest account to test if the problem is with the machine. Get them to test send and receive iMessage, if they achieve this exercise, then the problem is not the machine as such but will be your account details on this machine.
Hello @esafeddie
So I tested the above with 2 different Apple ID after logging as guest. In both cases it was not possible to log into Message with the respective appleID. Doing the same on my MacBookPro, logging into iMessage was just fine. Do I conclude that there is something wrong with the machine then? thank you!

Back