Contribute
Register
I'm not sure what I did, but I managed to get this to work.

The only change I made to my system since my last post was my root username. I changed it to match my MB Pro so when I do coding through dropbox the file paths would match 100%. After rebooting, I was able to log into iMessage and Face Time flawlessly and both worked much to my surprise.

No idea why this happened or if the change I made is even relevant, but I works now so yolo.

Try this -> mount your EFI Partition and open your config.plist in Clover Configurator.
In the 'Rt Variables' where you have this value 'RM0450BE6W3MD' in Clover Configurator also put this same value in the tab 'SMBIOS' in the box 'Board Serial Number'. Now save the changes and reboot, run iMessageDeBugger to see if the result has change from 'null'. Good luck.

First of all, thanks for the help esafeddie! The value is still null. Jaymonkey said that the MLB has to be either entered in the RT variables or in the SMBIOS. I suspect, after several days of testings, that my problem is related to the Nvram file. I downloaded, out of curiosity, MLBGen, that nice tool that let users generate an MLB. Do you know what's strange there? It displays a different ROM, the last 12 bytes of my SMBIOS. While iMessage displays the ROM value in the attached picture. It seems like I'm not able to modify neither the ROM nor the MLB values, because I wasn't able to change my ROM using that last digits of my SMBIOS or my Ethernet address.
Besides, I opened the nvram.plist file on my EFI partition: I'm no coder, but I'm pretty sure there are old, wrong and deprecated values there (I think there is a very old MLB, and the ROM is even "wrong", it's "b66fdf91509" separated by % of course, instead of "b636fdf91509"!). A mod suggested me deleting my nvram via terminal, but it didn't work (the same goes if I boot without caches).
So, my question is: as far as you know, is it possible to "recreate" my Clover nvram writing the correct values? If my Nvram.plist wasn't broken, I'd be able for sure to use iMessage. I have to correct these values, maybe manually, but some of them are cyphered or in base 64 (funny enough, every time I try and convert any ROM values in Clover, it keeps saying "invalid base64 data" or something like that) so I'm not very positive about trying alone (if I ruin/delete it, though, would I still be able to boot via Clover thanks to an USB I created? Yes... I suppose?). Thanks in advance for the help!

I've done a search and you can purge NVRAM or see the info stored.

Open 'Terminal' and enter below commands as desired:

To clear the values:
sudo nvram -c

To display the values:
sudo nvram -p

To display the values, including the SmUUID and other IDs stored there:
sudo nvram -x -p

Hope this helps.

I've done a search and you can purge NVRAM or see the info stored.

Open 'Terminal' and enter below commands as desired:

To clear the values:
sudo nvram -c

To display the values:
sudo nvram -p

To display the values, including the SmUUID and other IDs stored there:
sudo nvram -x -p

Hope this helps.

Hi again! I know these commands, and, oddly enough, nvram -c didn't work: it just reset some of my settings (especially my Apple mouse and keyboard pairing, I had to login via a PS2 keyboard, with no mouse). And, yes, as I wrote, nvram -p shows wrong and deprecated values. Nevertheless, I'm going to try again with the nvram -c: never say never. Thanks again for your help! I hope anyway someone figures out how to actually re-write nvram data, if the aforementioned command will fail again.
Ah, I read that RehabMan told a user to delete the EmuVariable to solve a similar issue: do you think it could be safe to do so in my case? I think it could be a good idea, given that I'm running on a legacy BIOS.

Last edited:
Hi again! I know these commands, and, oddly enough, nvram -c didn't work: it just reset some of my settings (especially my Apple mouse and keyboard pairing, I had to login via a PS2 keyboard, with no mouse). And, yes, as I wrote, nvram -p shows wrong and deprecated values. Nevertheless, I'm going to try again with the nvram -c: never say never. Thanks again for your help! I hope anyway someone figures out how to actually re-write nvram data, if the aforementioned command will fail again.
Ah, I read that RehabMan told a user to delete the EmuVariable to solve a similar issue: do you think it could be safe to do so in my case? I think it could be a good idea, given that I'm running on a legacy BIOS.

Well it's worth a try.

Well it's worth a try.

Update: it didn't work. I can see that part of the nvram has been cleared, but the wrong MLB value and the ROM are still there. I suppose I need a way to manually edit these values: I would do it, if I knew how were the values encoded. Here is that part:

Code:
key>4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB</key>
    <data>
    VzgwQUE5OEE1UEU4R/8=
    </data>
    <key>4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM</key>
    <data>
    tjb9+RUJ
    </data>
    <key>4d1ede05-38c7-4a6a-9cc6-4bcc

Again, this is crazy: I cannot modify my Nvram values. I wonder if it is possible at all. Nothing changed on iMessage Debugger.

It is crazy! - Are you saying if you edit your config.plist with the desired values -> Repaired Permissions, Rebuild the Kernel Cache and reboot, the old values are still there? If all else fails maybe you'll have to format and do a clean reinstall. I still can't see why your old values can't be deleted/edited and new ones applied.

Yes, exactly (except for the repairing of the permissions, which cannot be done anymore, from El Capitan if I'm not wrong). Nevertheless, I just figured out that "VzgwQUE5OEE1UEU4R/8=" is "W80AA98A5PE8G" in Base64, which is an incredibly old value I had till an year ago. While the result for the ROM field in base64 is "涽镉", two kanjis apparently meaning, in Chinese, "cadmium". I'm going to manually edit the values, and see if I solve something: I'll start editing just the MLB field.

Update: here it is the problem. I manually edited the MLB, but, after restarting, I found the same, old value in the Nvram.plist file (which I opened with TextEdit). Clover keeps overwriting these value, and this is why I cannot change neither my ROM (but, this isn't crucial, I think) or my MLB (which is crucial). I found the problem, but now I have no other ideas.

Last edited:
Yes, exactly (except for the repairing of the permissions, which cannot be done anymore, from El Capitan if I'm not wrong). Nevertheless, I just figured out that "VzgwQUE5OEE1UEU4R/8=" is "W80AA98A5PE8G" in Base64, which is an incredibly old value I had till an year ago. While the result for the ROM field in base64 is "涽镉", two kanjis apparently meaning, in Chinese, "cadmium". I'm going to manually edit the values, and see if I solve something: I'll start editing just the MLB field.

Update: here it is the problem. I manually edited the MLB, but, after restarting, I found the same, old value in the Nvram.plist file (which I opened with TextEdit). Clover keeps overwriting these value, and this is why I cannot change neither my ROM (but, this isn't crucial, I think) or my MLB (which is crucial). I found the problem, but now I have no other ideas.

Sorry man I am completely stumped as to why your old values are still retained even after editing, I haven't messed with legacy boot for a while not that it should be miles different from uefi boot I think. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chip in and offer up a solution. Good luck.

Back