Contribute
Register
I have a real MacPro3,1 running Mavericks and I just built a Hackintosh with a Z97-A and i7-4790k running Yosemite, the SMBios is set as a MacPro3,1 also.

I've read to not clone the ROM and MLB numbers from the genuine Mac, but I plan to wipe it clean, re-install Mavericks and sell it. Would it be okay to clone the IDs, or when the new owner of the genuine Mac uses his Apple ID to use iMessage will we have problems?

I have a real MacPro3,1 running Mavericks and I just built a Hackintosh with a Z97-A and i7-4790k running Yosemite, the SMBios is set as a MacPro3,1 also.

I've read to not clone the ROM and MLB numbers from the genuine Mac, but I plan to wipe it clean, re-install Mavericks and sell it. Would it be okay to clone the IDs, or when the new owner of the genuine Mac uses his Apple ID to use iMessage will we have problems?

Based on the thread yes you will have problems. Both of you will. Both of you will keep getting booted. Ultimately you will stop working and they will work. It's a bad idea to do it. Just follow the guide on generating a 13 digit MLB.

Wiping it won't change the embedded MLB & SN. You'll both have problems, from the moment someone tries to sign into the iMessage app on it.
If you're going to attempt cloning, the machine needs to be basically inactive & its also recommended that you still own it.

Now the question is do you lose any features going to the macpro3,1. I could do that, but my system matches imac14,1

So what would I lose switching to macpro3,1?

I've always used 3,1 actually. because imac defs always gave me weird audio popping issues (like audio was always waking from a powered down state and popped as it powered on, similar to turning on a speaker). with 3,1 this pop never happens, probably because sound loses whatever PM causes it.
Also with 3,1 you can't get true power management for cpu, so cpu geerally sits at either 4ghz, or 800mhz idle. nothing in between. although it does speed step between 4ghz and my 4.6 OC. but since it sits at 800mhz at idle i don't worry about it too much that it ramps up to 4ghz instead of 1-2ghz for meager tasks. You basically can't setup power management profiles for 9x-39x.

Sleep probably doesn't work 100% either but i never use sleep. ever. I've never tired it os maybe it works maybe it doesn't. I haven't on my original mac pro and don't on this. display, hard disks yes. system, never. I always have something or another running.

GPU power management is 100% so no loss there. that seems controlled entirely by nvidia driver.

I don't know whether or not USB 3.0 works or not. I only have usb 2.0 devices. all my my good stuff is on the inside (my two ssds, 10k rpm storage HDD with tons of space). External devices i use my iphone, webcam, mic.

So this all works for me. It may not work for everyone. Others who may not want to give up cpu power management, or usb 3.0 may have to wait for the 17MLB research to get complete. they can risk using the existing generators now, but putting random chars in the fields we don't yet understand is risky business. Plus considering how inaccurate the 13char generators were (generating random stuff for EEE instead of correct hardware class), I certainly don't put stock in the validity of any numbers they'd generate, even if they fool apple for now.

I strive more toward long term solution than random numbers. Because invalid numbers or machine identification could be the next block if syntax isn't doing enough for apple. This is why i went extra mile and ensured:
Apple OEM ROM (imac wifi card i use for wifi/bluetooth/handoff).
3,1 definition with 13MLB and a valid EEE code for 3,1 mac pro that matches definition.
unique serial. Now whitelisted by apple

I hope to see no further problems with the extra vigilance. We shall see!

Hi people i m keeping myself up to date with the forum but still it seems nobody found a good easy solution to this iMessage troubles, for now to make iMessage working on my hackintosh i basically have the screen sharing from my macbook pro and this works flawlessly,its quick and easy to set up until someone find a better solution..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 1.21.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-27 at 1.21.36 PM.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 249
There is an MLB generator to this site (generates the proper mlb but not whitelisted, you always call APPLE) - I can not put too much because I believe that we should not talk about this website here (there are little war) check post # Hanger1

@Gerard71,

All of the current 13 and 17 digit MLB generators have issues which is why i have not posted/linked to them in the main iMessage guide.

17 digit MLB's still have 2 pairs of digits which are unknown and are proving difficult to reverse engineer - Investigation into it is still on going ....

The latest version of Hanger1's 13 digit MLB generator is getting close though - he's currently working on improving the EEE matching and date generation and i'm sure that it will be capable of generating a valid 13 digit MLB soon - once he's had time to implement the changes.

Once it's working i'll post an update to the guide.

Cheers
Jay

I have a real MacPro3,1 running Mavericks ..... I plan to wipe it clean, re-install Mavericks and sell it. Would it be okay to clone the IDs, or when the new owner of the genuine Mac uses his Apple ID to use iMessage will we have problems?

@Wilky13,

As already stated by others, the MLB and ROM ID's are burned into the system board so wiping the OS will not change anything with regards to iMessage authentication. If you were to sell it and use its ID's on your hack and both of you attempted to use iMessage then you'd both suffer account blocking and/or deactivation. Since the new owner of the Mac would be the legal owner of the MLB & ROM ID's you would be effectively stealing his iMessage identity ...

Cheers
Jay

I've always used 3,1 actually. because imac defs always gave me weird audio popping issues (like audio was always waking from a powered down state and popped as it powered on, similar to turning on a speaker). with 3,1 this pop never happens, probably because sound loses whatever PM causes it.
Also with 3,1 you can't get true power management for cpu, so cpu geerally sits at either 4ghz, or 800mhz idle. nothing in between. although it does speed step between 4ghz and my 4.6 OC. but since it sits at 800mhz at idle i don't worry about it too much that it ramps up to 4ghz instead of 1-2ghz for meager tasks. You basically can't setup power management profiles for 9x-39x.

Sleep probably doesn't work 100% either but i never use sleep. ever. I've never tired it os maybe it works maybe it doesn't. I haven't on my original mac pro and don't on this. display, hard disks yes. system, never. I always have something or another running.

GPU power management is 100% so no loss there. that seems controlled entirely by nvidia driver.

I don't know whether or not USB 3.0 works or not. I only have usb 2.0 devices. all my my good stuff is on the inside (my two ssds, 10k rpm storage HDD with tons of space). External devices i use my iphone, webcam, mic.

So this all works for me. It may not work for everyone. Others who may not want to give up cpu power management, or usb 3.0 may have to wait for the 17MLB research to get complete. they can risk using the existing generators now, but putting random chars in the fields we don't yet understand is risky business. Plus considering how inaccurate the 13char generators were (generating random stuff for EEE instead of correct hardware class), I certainly don't put stock in the validity of any numbers they'd generate, even if they fool apple for now.

I strive more toward long term solution than random numbers. Because invalid numbers or machine identification could be the next block if syntax isn't doing enough for apple. This is why i went extra mile and ensured:
Apple OEM ROM (imac wifi card i use for wifi/bluetooth/handoff).
3,1 definition with 13MLB and a valid EEE code for 3,1 mac pro that matches definition.
unique serial. Now whitelisted by apple

I hope to see no further problems with the extra vigilance. We shall see!

Cool cool. I'm pretty much at this point. I got the customer code. I just have one question that maybe you can help me.

For my ROM I have a apple wifi card. However, I didn't want to use it because it might go bad (or get blacklisted). Who knows. Anyways, I took the hardware ID from my Ethernet but added a apple prefix to it. Do you think this will be safe? or should I just use the hardware of my apple branded wifi card as the ROM?

Thanks for this phenomenal guide! I have a broken 2011 MacBook Air that I was planning to clone to a hack I just built. My only concern is that the hack naturally has quite different hardware (greater CPU, GPU, more memory, HDD, etc etc). This is the part that confuses me. Is it advised to clone everything from the MacBook Air as is? Or should I clone a part of the info and generate other parts? (and if so, what parts do I clone and generate?) Thanks!

@Wilky13,

As already stated by others, the MLB and ROM ID's are burned into the system board so wiping the OS will not change anything with regards to iMessage authentication. If you were to sell it and use its ID's on your hack and both of you attempted to use iMessage then you'd both suffer account blocking and/or deactivation. Since the new owner of the Mac would be the legal owner of the MLB & ROM ID's you would be effectively stealing his iMessage identity ...

Cheers
Jay

Thanks, that is what I thought :(

Can I use my genuine MacPro3,1 and slightly alter the unique 'DDD' part of the MLB and ROM and use that in my hack? Will it be okay to continue using MacPro3,1 on my hack even though the hardware more closely matches a iMAc15,1?

Back