Contribute
Register
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Just wanted to share my experience fixing iMessage and FaceTime. Previously, only FaceTime worked but iMessage didn't. I was running Yosemite on a Z77X-UD5H 3770K with Chimera. I updated to Clover using a few guides I found on here, fixing sound by using toleda's Clover patch. I generated a new serial in Clover Configurator, a 11 S/N. I added to numbers to this serial and pasted it in MLB (RT vars tab) and Board Serial Number (SMBIOS tab). I used the terminal command 'uuidgen' a few times and pasted the last output in smUUID. The part after the last '-' (dash) was pasted in ROM in the RT variables tab. About this time iMessage gave me the code to call Apple. I rebooted a few times, making sure my NVRAM worked by checking iMessageDebugv2's output everytime I rebooted (save output, rename output, reboot, save output again, check if they're the same, they should be). I called Apple, gave them the serial of my (real) MacBook Pro. I logged out on iMessage on the MacBook also, and when they entered the code I logged in with both machines at the same time. Both machines (hack and MBP) work now. Hope this helps some of you out.

Just to be clear, this worked with GENERATED MLB and ROM values.

Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H 16Gb
CPU
Intel 3570k
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 660
Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@hylkepykle when? If this was shortly before about the 17 November, you will probably find you will shortly be logged out and be stuck in the same position as everybody else.

If it was after, then thats interesting and we need to figure out why it worked for you.

Motherboard
Z77E-ITX
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-3770
Graphics
GTX650Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@hylkepykle when? If this was shortly before about the 17 November, you will probably find you will shortly be logged out and be stuck in the same position as everybody else.

If it was after, then thats interesting and we need to figure out why it worked for you.

It is using a Z77X-UD5H 3770K and normally should be configured as iMac13,1/2 or MacMini6,2, but he generate an 13 character MLB, how an old MacPro. Since I managed to solve the issue only on the old MacPro3,1 hack, loggin straight in iMessage and Facetime without the need to call Apple support, I'm thinking that maybe it is easier to circumvent controls using 13 characters MLB.

jaymonkey

Motherboard
GB Z490 Vision G
CPU
i9 10850K OC @ 5.2 GHz
Graphics
Vega 64 LC + HD 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It is using a Z77X-UD5H 3770K and normally should be configured as iMac13,1/2 or MacMini6,2, but he generate an 11 character MLB, how an old MacPro. Since I managed to solve the issue only on the old MacPro3,1 hack, loggin straight in iMessage and Facetime without the need to call Apple support, I'm thinking that maybe it is easier to circumvent controls using 13 characters MLB.

@All

@flicka's thoughts are correct in that earlier (~ pre 2010/2011) systems such as MacPro 3,1 that have a 11 digit OSX S/N only have a 13 digit MLB not 17 digits like later (Generation 2+) Apple models. The 13 digit MLB patten is a much simpler format/syntax to the 17 digit MLB's and thus i do not believe that they can be processed by the new Apple iMessage MLB authentication process - they simply do not contain the checksum/lookup/reference values needed.

So systems configured with 11 digit S/N & 13 digit MLB currentley still work with iMessage as long as the MLB (and ROM ?) is registered with Apple. However you should all be aware that more recent PC hardware should ideally use a later (> 2011) system definition such as iMac 13,1, 14,1 ... etc in order for many of the newer OSX features introduced in Mavericks and Yosemite to work correctly.

Work is continuing on understanding and deciphering the 17 digit MLB patten and it should only be a matter of time before a method for generating valid 17 digit MLB's is found and implemented in Clover Configurator and Chameleon Wizard.

Good things come-to those who wait ... be patient and keep an eye on the guide/this thread.

I've updated the news in Part-1 of the guide with the current iMessage status and details of an updated version of FileNVRAM for those for you using Chameleon.

Apple-Mac-Hack Utility

I've taken a quick look at the Apple-Mac-Hack utility thats been mentioned recently and it does not do anything we cant do manually and already detailed in the guide.

You could think of it as a GUI based version of iMessage-Debug mixed with the ID generator from Clover Configurator. It's meant to be run on a real Mac and will extract the MLB value and generate a matching set of unique UUID's and (optionally) a ROM value which you can use to configure a hackingtosh.

This method has already been discussed in length and you should all know by now what the majority of people think about these methods ....

The only real interesting part (IMO) is the apparent ability to generate a random Apple ROM Value, if this proves to be true then it could be useful if and when it is confirmed that the new iMessage authentication checks are validating the ROM value - currently this is still un-confirmed.

Cheers
Jay

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I'm using a 13 character MLB (not 17) in conjunction with a 12 character SN with no apparent problem.

So does this mean that if the MLB/ROM passes authentication then the SN does not matter.

Motherboard
MAXIMUS VIII RANGER
CPU
i7-6700k
Graphics
GTX 980 Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'm using a 13 character MLB (not 17) in conjunction with a 12 character SN with no apparent problem.

So does this mean that if the MLB/ROM passes authentication then the SN does not matter.

I made small experiment with my spare drive and indeed it seem that SN does not matter (as long as it's "valid"). Having old fake 11 character SN (MacPro3,1) and working MLB (17 char)/ROM from iMac (iMac15,1). I also tested with fake iMac15,1 SN and both setups work with iMessage and iCloud. I'm not using this setup however to avoid possible future troubles. DO NOT USE REAL SERIALS OF GENUINE MACS.

EDIT 16. Dec: also tested with fake iMac12,1 SN and iMac15,1 MLB/ROM values. Works!

Motherboard
Z77E-ITX
CPU
Intel® Core™ i7-3770
Graphics
GTX650Ti
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
@All

@flicka's thoughts are correct in that earlier (~ pre 2010/2011) systems such as MacPro 3,1 that have a 11 digit OSX S/N only have a 13 digit MLB not 17 digits like later (Generation 2+) Apple models. The 13 digit MLB patten is a much simpler format/syntax to the 17 digit MLB's and thus i do not believe that they can be processed by the new Apple iMessage MLB authentication process - they simply do not contain the checksum/lookup/reference values needed.

So systems configured with 11 digit S/N & 13 digit MLB currentley still work with iMessage as long as the MLB (and ROM ?) is registered with Apple. However you should all be aware that more recent PC hardware should ideally use a later (> 2011) system definition such as iMac 13,1, 14,1 ... etc in order for many of the newer OSX features introduced in Mavericks and Yosemite to work correctly.
Jay
@jay

I apologize for my bad English. Reading my words I understand that I may be misunderstood. What I meant is that, perhaps, using a MLB 13 characters, but with a recent system definition, can fool Apple controls. Only a consideration, not an invitation to use this procedure.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
I don't think it matters. You only need a valid MLB/ROM configuration.

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 F23g
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
JayMonkey the way you handle this is incredible. On all the forums that I participate in there is only one guy, NickN, on the SimForums for FSX, that is as dedicated, competent and helpful as you are. This forum is indeed blessed to have you around.
I wish some of the other threads on this board will adopt your method of dealing with the people that are desperate for guidance,
help and feedback, the way you do.

YOU ARE AN INCREDIBLE EXAMPLE OF WHAT CAN BE ACHIEVED IF ONE REALLY CARES, THANK YOU

Keep up your excellent endeavors to have this problem finally sorted out.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9-9900KS
Graphics
RX Vega 64

I used MacPro3,1; a 11 char S/N, 13 char MLB; uuidgen for smUUIDGEN and ROM (last part only), got it working yesterday (december 14th 2014)