Contribute
Register
I see. And do you feel that calling Apple with a totally fake serial number, is a safe and fair thing to do in terms of not only the Hackintosh community, but from a legal standpoint?

I mean, I realize that building a Hackintosh isn't exactly the most, "on the level" option, but to me, knowingly calling a multi-million dollar company, who has a vested interest in protecting their product, and knowingly providing false information designed to cheat their system, seems, well.....a tad risky...to say the least.

You of course are free to do whatever you like, but I personally feel that choices like this are what is going to bring down the Hackintosh community. I think when you call and lie directly to the face of the company, you put all of us at risk. Best case, we lose access to our Hachintoshs', worse case, Apple takes steps to weed out fake serial numbers, and terrible case, Apple uses all the identifiable information we knowingly hand over to them to track down made up serial numbers, and sue the living pants off us.

Look, I get that there are those of you that want these things working at any cost, and I know there are those of you that think that I am being overly dramatic, but let's not forget what we are doing here. Every day we are essentially pirating software, and installing it on hardware that is against the user agreement. Perhaps we tend to forget the seriousness of this from a moral/legal standpoint.

Now, I'm not trying to stand on a pedestal and preach morals, I'm simply saying there needs to be a bit of common sense when dealing with these issues. Any action that directly lies to Apple, and/or creates a investigatable paper trail, is in my opinion a terrible choice. Have some patience, and allow the people working on this to do their thing in a way that doesn't out all of us at risk. I know some of you might think you're helping, but I really think you're doing more harm than good.

Anyway, I've said this a few times in this thread, and I don't think I need to say anymore. I just hope that anyone reading this takes a few moments and considers their actions before making choice that could affect us all. iMessage is not worth losing the ability to build Hackintosh computers, and is certainly isn't worth being sued over.

Bravo!! Couldn't have said it better.

I just did a build and fresh install of yosemite... system appears stable, finally, but when I tried iMessages for the first time I could not log in with my apple id, stating there was an error with activation.

Having read through this thread a bit, and not understanding a lot, it appears I am SOL for now and I don't wish to try and circumvent anything.

So nobody with fresh installs of yosemite are able to get iMessages working? Is that correct?

Actually, if you're getting the "error occurred, please try again" message, it is that you have something wrong with your imessage configuration (not necessarily that you have a bad mlb and rom as is the current issue). It might be that you don't even have a valid smuuid or mlb and rom in clover configurator. I had this same issue, and this was the case. After you have everything ready for imessage to work properly, besides a valid mlb and rom of course (unless you use a real mac's, which is not recommended), you should get the contact customer code message. Now, calling apple will not do anything, but the customer code message is a sign that what is wrong is that you have a fake mlb/rom; the please try again error is a sign that even if a workaround for the valid mlb and rom error is found, your hack will still give the "error, please try again" error message.

I changed to 13 digits MLB and ROM at random and it has worked smoothly iMessage and Facetime.
Sorry for my English,,, live in Spain

You were getting the contact customer code error, use a random 13 digit mlb and rom, and imessage began to work?

I see. And do you feel that calling Apple with a totally fake serial number, is a safe and fair thing to do in terms of not only the Hackintosh community, but from a legal standpoint?

I mean, I realize that building a Hackintosh isn't exactly the most, "on the level" option, but to me, knowingly calling a multi-million dollar company, who has a vested interest in protecting their product, and knowingly providing false information designed to cheat their system, seems, well.....a tad risky...to say the least.

You of course are free to do whatever you like, but I personally feel that choices like this are what is going to bring down the Hackintosh community. I think when you call and lie directly to the face of the company, you put all of us at risk. Best case, we lose access to our Hachintoshs', worse case, Apple takes steps to weed out fake serial numbers, and terrible case, Apple uses all the identifiable information we knowingly hand over to them to track down made up serial numbers, and sue the living pants off us.

Look, I get that there are those of you that want these things working at any cost, and I know there are those of you that think that I am being overly dramatic, but let's not forget what we are doing here. Every day we are essentially pirating software, and installing it on hardware that is against the user agreement. Perhaps we tend to forget the seriousness of this from a moral/legal standpoint.

Now, I'm not trying to stand on a pedestal and preach morals, I'm simply saying there needs to be a bit of common sense when dealing with these issues. Any action that directly lies to Apple, and/or creates a investigatable paper trail, is in my opinion a terrible choice. Have some patience, and allow the people working on this to do their thing in a way that doesn't out all of us at risk. I know some of you might think you're helping, but I really think you're doing more harm than good.

Anyway, I've said this a few times in this thread, and I don't think I need to say anymore. I just hope that anyone reading this takes a few moments and considers their actions before making choice that could affect us all. iMessage is not worth losing the ability to build Hackintosh computers, and is certainly isn't worth being sued over.

I beg to differ. He only did what the first page of this long post talked about. It says and I quote "If they continue to push for a OSX S/N You have a number of options, you could say your away from home and not in front of the MAC so you may have written down the S/N incorrectly or that you've lent it to your parents or a relative. You could say it was bought from a friend or as a 2nd use system via eBay or Crags list."

Sounds like thats what he did. Sounds like he also has a working iMessage Hack Mac and its in their system and he doesn't have to worry about his iMessage going down anytime soon. Id personally like to buy this guy a beer.

Also I say the same thing because everyone here is building hackintoshs. So don't single out this dude for his actions. One person is not going to kill iMessage. It will be the group of us. And there are lots of people trying different things and he certainly has a right to too. And even posting about it. Me, I got my iMessage working the same day it stopped. I can't imagine how I did mines was any more in the spotlight of shutting it down for everybody than anybody else on this thread. Either way, again, its just iMessage we are talking about also. Building these Mac clone machines is not like ripping a DVD. We paid our 20 bucks. Macs and PCs both run on intel chipsets. I think I remember buying an apple CD years ago. Ever since then Ive just been upgrading.

again my 2 cents.

Cheers to spang1974 tho

I beg to differ. He only did what the first page of this long post talked about. It says and I quote "If they continue to push for a OSX S/N You have a number of options, you could say your away from home and not in front of the MAC so you may have written down the S/N incorrectly or that you've lent it to your parents or a relative. You could say it was bought from a friend or as a 2nd use system via eBay or Crags list."

Sounds like thats what he did. Sounds like he also has a working iMessage Hack Mac and its in their system and he doesn't have to worry about his iMessage going down anytime soon. Id personally like to buy this guy a beer.

Also I say the same thing because everyone here is building hackintoshs. So don't single out this dude for his actions. One person is not going to kill iMessage. It will be the group of us. And there are lots of people trying different things and he certainly has a right to too. And even posting about it. Me, I got my iMessage working the same day it stopped. I can't imagine how I did mines was any more in the spotlight of shutting it down for everybody than anybody else on this thread. Either way, again, its just iMessage we are talking about also. Building these Mac clone machines is not like ripping a DVD. We paid our 20 bucks. Macs and PCs both run on intel chipsets. I think I remember buying an apple CD years ago. Ever since then Ive just been upgrading.

again my 2 cents.

Cheers to spang1974 tho

I think you may have misinterpreted the guide. The idea from my interpretation is to avoid giving them a serial number, or to at least try to deflect the Apple employee so they hopefully move on. Nowhere does the guide say, "Give them your fake serial number, because who cares."

The point is, the person who wrote the guide knows that providing false information is risky. So risky that that the guide also provides you with a lot of options to avoid having to give a serial number at all, something you conveniently forgot to mention.

If you look through this thread, you'll see that it isn't just "one guy." There are a few that have tried similar things. We don't even know about the people who might browse by here via Google and try calling. Either way, it could take five thousand calls, it could take one...we don't know.

You are right though, he has the right to do what he likes. If he wants to call Apple and falsify information to their face, I'm not in a position to demand he doesn't. I just personally think it is a terrible and risky choice, especially when with a little patience this might get figured out. Putting himself, and the community at risk because they can't wait a few weeks is very selfish and shouldn't be applauded.

Finally, I disagree with your last statement. Pirating software and installing it on hardware that is not covered under the user agreement is exactly like pirating a DVD. That is like saying, "I bought Star Wars on DVD ten years ago, so I have every right to pirate the Special Edition Bluray."

The reason that Apple doesn't charge for OS X is because it is designed to run on Apple hardware. They make money by selling you expensive hardware. When you purchase your own custom hardware, Apple makes nothing off you. You are using their resources, but they don't benefit financially. The user agreement is not there because Apple cares about your user experience, it is because they want to protect their company, and not allow others to sell machines that take profits away.

Look, you're free to take whatever steps you like, and if you think the best thing to do is to call the company directly and lie to them, that is your choice. The only reason I am saying anything is because on the most basic level, I want the features to work. However, on another level, I don't want the actions of a few to screw over the community, or worse, put me in the crosshairs of an apple lawsuit against everyone breaking the terms and conditions.

To be fair the apple license is not unlawful to break. (at least here).
And this isn't a hackintosh caused problem..... yet. :eek:
Its extremely important to -everyone- that apple keeps imessege and icloud secure. By spoofing real values, constantly changing them, or calling apple with dodgy values you risk appearing to be trying to crack your way in. This has got to cause alerts at apple. If it doesn't, then I dont want to use those services anyway.

Bootloaders are one thing. random system values in smbios is one thing. Spoofing real macs is quite another. Consider this before you "really must facetime grandma". Never before have us hackintoshers been spoofing real mac values- and it seems now lots of people are- and the problems begin.
A step too far imo....

Last edited:
You were getting the contact customer code error, use a random 13 digit mlb and rom, and imessage began to work?

Receive this message ,, error during activation, try again later.
I changed the MLB 17-13 and Rom random digits. Now iMessage and Facetime function without phoning Apple

I changed the MLB 17-13 and Rom random digits. Now iMessage and Facetime function without phoning Apple

Which 4 characters did you remove?

Finally someone smart here that is using the 13 MLB like i always said!!! my imessage is still working with no problem and i can signoff and signin.

Back