Contribute
Register
I also have the UP5-TH mobo, and the only thing that did fix it for me was to use the older version of NVRAM.dylib as mentioned in your note at the very bottom of the guide! (The 1.1.3 did _not_ work) Thank you!!!

Thanks for the feedback .....

It seems that many users have tried to use version 1.1.3 assuming that the later version is the one to go for .... I think maybe not everyone reads the whole guide to the bottom, as a result I've updated the guide today and moved the note about the different versions of FileNVRAM to the Install Section and highlighted it in a bigger font to try and draw peoples attention to this fact.

Cheers
Jay

The account validation method is what worked for me.

I'm one of the early birds to Apple's iTunes store, long before MobileMe, so I was using my personal email for purchases all this time. Naturally, that account has a credit card attached to it and has been valid for a long time.

On the @me.com side of things, I have been using that as my iCloud account for purposes of syncing/storing all my data, and as my Messages Apple ID as well. But since I never use it to make purchases, I never added a credit card, so I guess it was never "validated" as per the instructions in the original post.

After encountering Messages error telling me I couldn't activate my Apple ID for iMessage, I went into the Apple Online Store, logged in with my Messages ID and added a credit card. Voila! I can now successfully log in to iMessage on my Hackintosh without having to change the password.

I posted earlier about the FileNVRAM fix working for me.

This morning when I got back on my hackintosh, I was confounded as to why my iMessage suddenly stopped working. As many others have said, it's because of the credit card information associated with my Apple ID. My original CC must have expired and there was no payment method. Once I updated it, my iMessage is fully functional again.

Thanks everyone for their input!

Concur with everyone else, check your account to make sure you have an up to date cc info on your account. I had paypal and couldn't get imessages working, updated my cc, and bam, now it works.

Fixed

i followed your instructions but i kept getting the "this apple id can't be used to setup iMessages' error

so i added my CC to my apple id and deleted the nvram plist that gens in the extras folder rebooted and now iMessages signs in no problems.

ps.
i was woking on this all night try many things even changing my password etc but using the nvram 1.1.2 and adding a CC to your id seems to fix this.

Nothing seems to work

This is on a new install from scratch in that we wiped the hard drive completely and installed Mavericks; we did not attempt to upgrade. We have a "Verified" Apple account. We logged into iMessage using a real Apple computer and changed the password on the account. We deleted and re-created the Ethernet interface, making sure it is named "en0" as shown in the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwD7F4NlRUM even though it was already en0 (everything else had failed). We have tried FileNVRam Version 1.1.2 (closest we have come is iMessages appears to log in for just a split second, then immediately goes back to the login screen or we get the popup shown in message #2 in this thread, AND FaceTime will not login), FileNVRam Version 1.1.3, (FaceTime will login just fine, but IMessage fails with a popup "Could not sign in to iMessage. An error occurred during activation. Try again.", and no FileNVRam at all (same as if using 1.1.3). We tried changing the serial number to other random values using Chameleon Wizard, and when that failed we even tried temporarily using a known good serial number from an actual Mac Pro 3,1. Since it is a new install there was no old iMessage Setup data to remove. We don't have RAID, if that matters.

In short we have tried several suggestions from both this thread and the other one ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/articles/90937-article-troubleshooting-imessage-login-issues.html ) and absolutely nothing we have done seems to make iMessage work. Have we missed anything? Is there some magic bullet that will make this work?

And is there a version of FileNVRam that might allow both iMessage and FaceTime to work? Right now it appears to be very much an either/or situation, in that if you use 1.1.3 (or no FileNVRam at all) FaceTime works but iMessage won't even sign in, whereas if you use 1.1.2 at least you get the popup shown in message #2 of this thread, but then FaceTime won't login.

tried adding a credit card to your payments for your apple id?

i kept getting the same error all night no matter what i did until it added my credit card then it worked normally.

...... In short we have tried several suggestions from both this thread and the other one ( http://www.tonymacx86.com/articles/90937-article-troubleshooting-imessage-login-issues.html ) and absolutely nothing we have done seems to make iMessage work. Have we missed anything? Is there some magic bullet that will make this work?

Hi TreeMan,

No such thing as a Magic bullet i'm afraid ...

The first thing I would do is confirm that FileNVRAM is loading and initialising correctly, goto to your /Extra folder and delete nvram.xxxxxx.plist (if its not there then thats your problem), reboot and then check that nvram.xxxxxx.plist has been re-created. if its not there then is something wrong with your install.

Make sure that you don't have another drive that has the OSX boot loader (recently one user reported that he had forgotten he had a USB Unibeast plugged in the back of his PC so FileNVRAM was writing its nvram.xxxxx.plis to the usb not the OSX startup disk)

If you use the trick to move the /Extra folder and bootloader files to the EFI partition then it will not work, its the same issue that effects RAID users in that once OSX is booted the EFI partition is unmounted so no access to nvram.xxxxx.plist (I need to add this tip to the guide)

Another test you could try is creating a new Apple ID, make sure its got a valid CC registered against it and try that with iMessage once you've confirmed FileNVRAM is working ok.

Only use FileNVRAM.dynlib Version 1.1.2

Good Luck
Jay

Back