Contribute
Register
I called Apple support 15 minutes ago and they were super helpful. I even told the guy that I had been using my mackintosh for 3 years without any problems, but the recent security measures rendered my iMessage inactive. I gave him the 12 digit customer code iMessage gives you when you can`t log in, and he fixed it in a minute, and immediately after he told me it was sorted, I could log in.

All I can tell you is, don`t be afraid to call them if you get the customer code error message, they`ll surely help you if you have more apple devices under your account.

@tadoan,

Before trying again check your S/N (see above), SmUUID (see Part-2), MLB & ROM (see Part-1, Step 5d) if all looks ok try following the advice in Part-2, Step-8 of the guide to contact Apple - it's worked multiple times for me and many others, You need to make sure you get through to MAC OSX, iMessage/AppleID support - don't use the link in the on the Alert Box try my method in Step-8 and let me know how you get on.

Cheers
Jay

Ok, Thanks! I'll give that a try and will update with my progress.

So the "Contact Apple Support" link worked well and got me to the correct department. Verified my Apple ID, phone number and tried to get a SN from me, but I said I wasn't in front of my Mac. Gave them the Customer Code, and within seconds, she said it was taken care of for me. SWEET and painless. Thanks!

F/U question: how long should I give it before trying to log back into iMessage?

FYI: ROM/MLB persistent confirmed with 2 reboots. Chameleon v2283 NVRam 1.1.3 worked well.

update: Log in successful for FaceTime and completes calls. iMessage logs in, but won't let me send messages; has red font contacts and won't send. Account settings in iMessage looks like this:
Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 1.11.36 PM.png

Any thoughts?

Customer support fail.

I followed the extremely helpful guide (part 2, step 8) - thank you! However things didn't go well on the Customer Support side. The first guy transferred me to the wrong (iOS) department. After taking down my customer code and other info, they transferred me to the computer support.

They wanted my Serial Number, but I said I wasn't in front of my computer. I said that I had written the SN down, but there had been a problem with it when I called the day before. I asked if he wanted the number I had written down - he did not. He directed me to delete the chat.plist in preferences of the hidden user library. He said he was "85%" confident that was the problem. [No, it didn't help]

I also asked if there were any other possible causes for the problem, whether there was a generic hold on the account, new security measures, etc. No, he was convinced it was a problem with my machine, and related to my newly changed password... even though I explained that I changed the password *after* the problem started, that this message to contact customer support was *not* the same that I've seen before when my password is mismatched, etc. [My alert matches the screenshots people have been showing]

I then (rather stupidly) asked if it would matter if the computer in question was a Hackintosh, and he said yes it would, that the problem wouldn't be supported and they wouldn't help further. Hopefully he didn't make a note of that, but my guess is that he did. So... yeah.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

[on edit]
It appears that my ROM and MLB numbers are changing, so that's (at least part of) my problem.

Clover sounds like the easiest/best solution in the long run, but all the guides I'm finding are in the context of performing a clean install of the OSX.

Question 1: Is it possible to switch over to Clover on an existing OSX build?
Question 2: Are there any guides to this effect? (or can I just follow the Clover Guide and jump in at, say, "Step 4: Post-Installation"?

If it's not possible, then presumably my only option is to go the Chameleon route?

Last edited:
update: Log in successful for FaceTime and completes calls. iMessage logs in, but won't let me send messages; has red font contacts and won't send.

@tadoan,

Check your console log when opening iMessage, red contact's are usually caused by iMessage authentication issues which is usually down to an invalid or black-listed hardware (platform) UUID which is a result of a bad SmUUID (SystemId) - Read part 2 of the guide which explains all of this in detail.

Check if your BIOS suffers from the SId bug.

What motherboard are you using ?, I have a list of Motherboard's that are confirmed to suffer from the SId bug in Part-2, if you suspect yours let me know and I can add it to the list if its not already on there.

Cheers
Jay

Customer support fail.

I asked if he wanted the number I had written down - he did not. He directed me to delete the chat.plist in preferences of the hidden user library. He said he was "85%" confident that was the problem.

Sounds like you were unlucky and got through to a rookie support guy ... LOL - deleting that file is in my guide (Part1, Step 4) but it will not help if you are getting the iMessage alert to Contact Apple with a customer code :-

appleid-cant-be-used.jpg

The customer code needs to be entered to remove the device lock on your AppleID.

I would give it a day or so and try again using the contact method detailed in Part-2, Step-8, a few people have been unlucky, my advice is to take control of the call and tell them that they need to use the code to remove the lock, if you feel that your not talking to someone who knows what they are doing ask them if you could talk to someone else.

You could tell them that a collage had exactly the same issue last week and that Apple Support used the customer code to authenticate the alert against your AppleID which removed the lockout and sorted the issue.

I would not worry, like all call centres you just need to get through to someone with a brain that actually understands the issue not some dumb arse that can only solve whats on the crib sheet in front of them ....

Keep trying, good luck ...
Cheers
Jay

@tadoan,

Check your console log when opening iMessage, red contact's are usually caused by iMessage authentication issues which is usually down to an invalid or black-listed hardware (platform) UUID which is a result of a bad SmUUID (SystemId) - Read part 2 of the guide which explains all of this in detail.

Check if your BIOS suffers from the SId bug.

What motherboard are you using ?, I have a list of Motherboard's that are confirmed to suffer from the SId bug in Part-2, if you suspect yours let me know and I can add it to the list if its not already on there.

Cheers
Jay

MB: GA Z87X-UD4H

I checked the NVRAM and confirmed the smUUID had a incorrect non-unique number (0005-0003, etc). I have since converted over to Clover and injected my confirmed working MLB/ROM/SN/and newly created unique smUUID. Deleted all plist from Part 1, and still receive the red contacts. Any other suggestions?

How to Fix iMessage-Booting from USB Flash Drive

I did all of the fixes that have been outlined. I even called Apple with a real serial from an iMac that I own. Apple went ahead and "unblocked" me. Looked like it work but (probably after a reboot) Messages and Facetime did not work again. I get the "call Apple with the code" dialog box.

Took me a long time to track this down but I think I've figured out my problem. First of all and I think most importantly, I boot using a USB thumb drive. Does anyone else still do that? I like the flexibility and safety of booting from a USB drive. The issue with doing that is it seems that the nvram.XX.plist does not get created in the /Extra folder of the USB drive. Therefore my MLB and ROM would change with every boot. I finally had to manually create an /Extra folder in the root of the boot drive. Now there is a nvram.xx.plist in the folder and my MLB and ROM seems to stay the same after each reboot (tested with imessage_debug). Tomorrow I will call Aple again and try to get me "unblocked" again.

Of course a big point of booting from a USB drive is that you don't have an /Extra folder on the boot drive. Hmpf. I was thinking about installing all this to the EFI partition. Has anyone had any luck, issues, problems with doing that? I think I read somewhere on the hundreds of pages that there was a problem doing this.

Hi,

I change my smbios.plist to iMac13,2 with Chameleon wizard and make a random SN. I think all is ok, but I dont able to get ROM and MLB stable between reboot. I try 5 versions of Chameleon... but the same thing. I have a fusion drive, the FileNVRAM.dylib (1.1.3) is on disk0s1 and disk1s3. The 1.1.2 don't work for me (no UUID)

2014-09-10 20:35:45.312 imessage_debug[378:507] Gq3489ugfi: <1d8cb87c 15690353 7232e6d0 4da0234f 7e>
2014-09-10 20:35:45.313 imessage_debug[378:507] Fyp98tpgj: <15a0f33e 6b9327ac 2c7ba619 af12387d c6>
2014-09-10 20:35:45.314 imessage_debug[378:507] kbjfrfpoJU: <bc7da4d9 0e574457 aa7f7872 2d696da3 d6>
2014-09-10 20:35:45.314 imessage_debug[378:507] IOPlatformSerialNumber: C02K5552DNMP
2014-09-10 20:35:45.314 imessage_debug[378:507] IOPlatformUUID: 09B96022-CD80-5AA6-BE81-52176F1F344C
2014-09-10 20:35:45.315 imessage_debug[378:507] board-id: Mac-FC02E91DDD3FA6A4
2014-09-10 20:35:45.315 imessage_debug[378:507] product-name: iMac13,2
2014-09-10 20:35:45.315 imessage_debug[378:507] 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:ROM: <7e26ece5 7bd3>
2014-09-10 20:35:45.315 imessage_debug[378:507] 4D1EDE05-38C7-4A6A-9CC6-4BCCA8B38C14:MLB: C02K5552DNMPOV2YQ
2014-09-10 20:35:45.316 imessage_debug[378:507] oycqAZloTNDm: <8ef20b5d 25b0bcc9 d1a59eb2 c6bf9590 e8>
2014-09-10 20:35:45.316 imessage_debug[378:507] abKPld1EcMni: <3539f5a8 289de954 b3e41970 483bfe81 da>

Do you have some suggestions before Clover boot loader?
It was changing on every boot for me too, until I did what the guide said and tried r2283 with NVRAM lib 1.1.3 and it was stable on reboot. Latest Chameleon Wizard can install it automatically for you.

Back