Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just dropping by to ask @ KGP a question. I just finish to installed MOJAVE on a GA-X99P-SLI motherboard that I have w/ an Intel 5960X Cpu out of 3 that I got laying around, and that installed its also w/ a Nvidia 670 that I have and the install went very smooth and event surprise me that on my config.plist none of the kernel patch match that cpu and none of the options like RTC, APPLE intelAPIC, kernelpm and XPMC are sleeted and she is booting to the desktop clean vanilla I think cause I don't see any kext injected on the system extension, that could possible? I guess so cause its sticking I event shut down and reboot the computer and still booting allay to the desktop

Would it be possible to come back to me with this question by Tuesday, if I forget to answer? Today it is already very late and from tomorrow until Tuesday I will be on trip to Frankfurt.

Sorry TIO enjoy I forgot 7 hours right

I just dropping by to ask @ KGP a question. I just finish to installed MOJAVE on a GA-X99P-SLI motherboard that I have w/ an Intel 5960X Cpu out of 3 that I got laying around, and that installed its also w/ a Nvidia 670 that I have and the install went very smooth and event surprise me that on my config.plist none of the kernel patch match that cpu and none of the options like RTC, APPLE intelAPIC, kernelpm and XPMC are sleeted and she is booting to the desktop clean vanilla I think cause I don't see any kext injected on the system extension, that could possible? I guess so cause its sticking I event shut down and reboot the computer and still booting allay to the desktop

GA motherboards have unlocked MSR register for kernel write by factory default. Thus neither KernelPm nor the core scope kernel patch are required. RTC, APPLE intelAPIC are not used for ASUS motherboards either.

While the 5820K also needs the Haswell-E bootstrap patch, your Intel 5960X (Haswell-E) seems to work without it like all Broadwell-E processors such as your E5 2696v4. Performance patch, SMT-scope patches and pkg_scope patches are the same for Broadwell-E and Haswell-E. Thus, despite the necessary removal of the FakeCPUID for Broadwell-E, the EFI-Folder distribution you are using for your E5-2696v4 and the unlocked Asus X99DX2, should also work OoB with your GA-X99P-SLI and your Intel 5960X (Haswell-E).

No surprise or magics really. ;)

Thanks for you replay, but my doubt here was, that she is booting to the desktop without any kext been injected, at least that what I think seen. Cause I go to system/extensions and I don't see any kext like lilu,fakesmc intelmausi whatever green been installed and in the config.plist I have inject kext = yes, and CSR = 0x67 and even on 0x03 still the same. I mean don't get me wrong she working just like a regular Mac, I haven't test the sleep but its something that I really don't care about cause when I don't use the PC I shut it down, the only thing that care about she is all the time running at boost the cores don't idle, XMC its loaded and Apple intel CPU manager as well. I really don't care about its behave do to this was a test me doing in this motherboard.

So I got a question to you ones I get my AMD Vega 64 Do I need to uninstall all the kext from CUDA and the driver from Nvidia before install the AMD card. Could help me out on guiding me the step that I need to follow also there is an App for the Vega64 that controls the fan and temps do I need to install that as well. thanks

@kgp, my friend. I finally come to you at the edge of fulfilling your last instructions. Last time we talked you told me "sell your 1080 and buy Vega", I then explained you about the sad economic situation in Argentina and blah blah blah.. We all cryed, it was beautiful.

Now, finally I have someone that wants to buy my 1080 and I also have someone selling a USED Sapphire Vega 64 reference design (which I love btw) and for the same money.

The only issue here would be that the guy with the Vega told me he used it for mining, but "just for one month and not constantly until the bitcoin dropped and it was no longer profitable" as he says. Of course, he's offering me to tryout the card before buying. And he also has the invoice with the date of the purchase.

What do you think? Should I give it a try? And if so, what should I watch for?

Thanks in advance master,

Cheers!

@kgp, my friend. I finally come to you at the edge of fulfilling your last instructions. Last time we talked you told me "sell your 1080 and buy Vega", I then explained you about the sad economic situation in Argentina and blah blah blah.. We all cryed, it was beautiful.

Now, finally I have someone that wants to buy my 1080 and I also have someone selling a USED Sapphire Vega 64 reference design (which I love btw) and for the same money.

The only issue here would be that the guy with the Vega told me he used it for mining, but "just for one month and not constantly until the bitcoin dropped and it was no longer profitable" as he says. Of course, he's offering me to tryout the card before buying. And he also has the invoice with the date of the purchase.

What do you think? Should I give it a try? And if so, what should I watch for?

Thanks in advance master,

Cheers!

Hmm.. I really don't know what to recommend you in this case and the last thing I want is to make you risk or loose money, which might be anyway short at your side.

Maybe best just to continue with your 1080 under 10.13.6 and leave everything as implemented?

Hugs from Berlin in any case, my friend.

QUESTION FOR USERS OF PCIe SSDs equal or similar to 960 EVO/PRO OR 970 EVO/PRO:

What average BOOT time do you have?

I have an average of 21 seconds whit 970 EVO, but I feel it should be faster..

Am I facing a problem?

Thanks to you all

QUESTION FOR USERS OF PCIe SSDs equal or similar to 960 EVO/PRO OR 970 EVO/PRO:

What average BOOT time do you have?

I have an average of 21 seconds whit 970 EVO, but I feel it should be faster..

Am I facing a problem?

Thanks to you all

If your system disk is APFS all other disks also should be APFS too, otherwise you will witness longer boot times of your system.

Hi @kgp ,

I have successfully installed high sierra on my setup following your guide(thank you very much for it):

CPU: i7 6800K
MB: MSI X99a Gaming 7
GPU: MSI GTX 1070
SSD: Kingston Now UV 500
Sound: RME Babyface
OS version: 10.13.6 SU 17G5019

I had a few problems like not working Ethernet so i downloaded drivers for Killer E220x and after that a freezing problem with nvidia drivers, i tried few settings and found out that it's the G-Sync setup that that i enabled later, without it works just fine.

However i have one problem that bugs me most and that's occasional audio dropouts, i cannot see anything in console, so I'm writing this post asking for help with this issue. I hope I have attached all data that you described you'll need when troubleshooting this.

Can you or anyone here please help me ?

Regards

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    34.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IOREG.ioreg
    11.4 MB · Views: 107
  • IOREG_ACPI.ioreg
    11.4 MB · Views: 114
  • PCI screenshot.png
    PCI screenshot.png
    98.8 KB · Views: 79