Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a benefit in having a custom made kext

See last sentence of post #2,835... :rolleyes: Of course you can also use the USBInjectAll.kext + custom SSDT approach. However, all this extended discussion is somewhat out of topic along this thread.

rI'm very sorry if any of the below information is incomplete.

Thank you so much for the great guide and I build an iMac Pro with Core i7-6900k and Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX (rev. 1.0)

Here is my complete hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX (rev. 1.0)
CPU: Core i7-6900K
RAM: 64GB
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
System Disk: HyperX Savage 480GB SSD SATA

Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX650 2GB 128Bit GDDR5 (Will update in the future)
Wifi + Bluetooth: No additional wifi/Bluetooth card, Bluetooth is working but wifi is not (Can fix this? I tried this driver and didn't work: https://github.com/ammulder/AppleIntelWiFiMVM)
Power Supply: Corsair VS650 Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master: Hyper T4
Monitor: 22 Inch Benq monitor

Everything is fine except some Geekbench mark scores when comparing to Sierra build.
View attachment 376252
For my previous Sierra build score was 4457/28809. For OSX Sierra I was using this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ill-tridentz-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme.211621/

But for OSX High Sierra build Geek Benchmark score is not very stable:
1st test: 4312/26044.
2nd test: 3905/27363.
3rd test: 4212/22693.
View attachment 376253
View attachment 376254
View attachment 376255
I've attached the screenshots also.

This is how I've done this:
1. Downloaded the MacOS High Sierra from AppStore and make to bootable USB
2. Downloaded and install clover to the USB.
3. Downloaded and replaced CLOVER directory from here: https://github.com/KGP/X99-EFI-Folder-Distributions
4. After installation installed clover to SSD and copied CLOVER directory.

I've not followed all of the instruction, I tried to update the microcode, but stuck in the middle. (B.1.2) MSR 0xE2 register unlock for OSX Kernel Write). I wasn't able to fix this problem, I don't even know is this necessary for Gigabyte motherboard.

Anyway, in short with your CLOVER folder I finished installing Mac OS High Sierra.

My question is: Do I've to be worried about the Geekbench mark scores? I've done motherboard adjustments it is same.

I'm very sorry if any of the above information is incomplete please let me know.

Thanks again for the great guide.
View attachment 376314

View attachment 376315

Onboard wifi is not supported by OSX. Please purchase BT/Wifi combo PCIe adapter.

If you are not able to update the microcodes in your BIOS firmware, you will likely not be able to OC your CPU.

Good luck,

KGP

Done.. see my previous post above.

Thank you, I don't know how to do it, but I will try to find out.

My motherboard is Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX, and bios extension is .bin.

I was using your guide for this but I stuck here: "B.1.2 4.) Open a terminal; type "cd " and drag the "UEFIPatch_0.3.9_osx"-folder on your Desktop into the Terminal window and press "Enter". One can also use the terminal command equivalent:"

Code:
SPs-iMac-3:UEFIPatch_0.3.9_osx thameem$ /Users/thameem/Desktop/UEFIPatch_0.3.9_osx/UEFIPatch /Users/thameem/Desktop/UEFIPatch_0.3.9_osx/mod_bios.bin
parseFile: non-empty pad-file contents will be destroyed after volume modifications
No patches can be applied to input file
WSPs-iMac-3:UEFIPatch_0.3.9_osx thameem$

Last edited:
Did not see that you have a GB mobo. No need to apply B1.2 in this case. All GB mobos have MSR unlocked.
Does this applies to me as well?

Does this applies to me as well?

We are talking about a microcode update and not about patching a BIOS firmware to unlock the MSR register, which is unlocked for all GA motherboards by factory-default. You must apply the CPU microcode update only in case of OC issues with your current motherboard firmware.

my Motherboard is asrock x99m killer 。
it can't be unlock MSR 0xE2 register 。what can i do ?? thank you :crazy:
20190110100743.png

We are talking about a microcode update and not about patching a BIOS firmware to unlock the MSR register, which is unlocked for all GA motherboards by factory-default. You must apply the CPU microcode update only in case of OC issues with your current motherboard firmware.

I've tried to update the bios with new 'mod_xxx' file, but it says invalid bios file.

Do I've to do this? because I've two SSD one is macOS Sierra and the other is HighSierra.

And the Geekbench and Cinebench scores are different under same settings, same hardware.

Here is the scores:

macOS Sierra:
Geekbench: single - 4857, multi - 32460
Cinebench: 1643

macOS HighSierra:
Geekbench: single - 4487, multi - 24357
Cinebench: 1399

Is this difference is caused by Overclocking issues? if so why Sierra is performing well under same settings.

I think it is the problem with EFI or config file I'm using.

Also, I'm attaching my EFI folder with this post.

Attachments

• EFI macOS HighSierra.zip
    18 MB · Views: 78
  • EFI macOS Sierra.zip
    7.3 MB · Views: 77
I've tried to update the bios with new 'mod_xxx' file, but it says invalid bios file.

Do I've to do this? because I've two SSD one is macOS Sierra and the other is HighSierra.

And the Geekbench and Cinebench scores are different under same settings, same hardware.

Here is the scores:

macOS Sierra:
Geekbench: single - 4857, multi - 32460
Cinebench: 1643

macOS HighSierra:
Geekbench: single - 4487, multi - 24357
Cinebench: 1399

Is this difference is caused by Overclocking issues? if so why Sierra is performing well under same settings.

I think it is the problem with EFI or config file I'm using.

Also, I'm attaching my EFI folder with this post.

I am not of much help concerning GA motherboard firmware. Never applied microcode updates to such firmware or flashed firmware for this motherboard brand.

Somebody else might be more suited to help you in your issue.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back