Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to fix the DP black screen on Radeon RX Vega 64
I am testing with different values for Board ID and ProductName.

iMac17,1: 'Mac-B809C3757DA9BB8D' - does NOT work
iMac16,2: 'Mac-FFE5EF870D7BA81A' - works (ProductName however causes KP)
iMac16,1: 'Mac-A369DDC4E67F1C45' - works
iMac15,2: 'Mac-FA842E06C61E91C5' - does NOT work
iMac15,1: 'Mac-42FD25EABCABB274' - need to test
iMac 14,2: 'Mac-27ADBB7B4CEE8E61' - works

With the correct Board ID and ProductName it boots into High Sierra with DP and HDMI

Conclusion: the Board-ID affects how graphics behave and boot
Even with the correct Board-ID a ProductName can cause KP.
I think this is because Mac 'boots' or 'does not boot' based on certain hardware that is compatible with that version of the graphic card and OS.

Last edited:
rI'm very sorry if any of the below information is incomplete.

Thank you so much for the great guide and I build an iMac Pro with Core i7-6900k and Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX (rev. 1.0)

Here is my complete hardware:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Designare EX (rev. 1.0)
CPU: Core i7-6900K
RAM: 64GB
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB)
System Disk: HyperX Savage 480GB SSD SATA

Graphics: GIGABYTE GTX650 2GB 128Bit GDDR5 (Will update in the future)
Wifi + Bluetooth: No additional wifi/Bluetooth card, Bluetooth is working but wifi is not (Can fix this? I tried this driver and didn't work: https://github.com/ammulder/AppleIntelWiFiMVM)
Power Supply: Corsair VS650 Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master: Hyper T4
Monitor: 22 Inch Benq monitor

Everything is fine except some Geekbench mark scores when comparing to Sierra build.
SierraTest1.PNG

For my previous Sierra build score was 4457/28809. For OSX Sierra I was using this guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ill-tridentz-aorus-gtx-1080-ti-xtreme.211621/

But for OSX High Sierra build Geek Benchmark score is not very stable:
1st test: 4312/26044.
2nd test: 3905/27363.
3rd test: 4212/22693.
HighSierraTest1.PNG

HighSierraTest2.PNG

HighSierraTest3.PNG

I've attached the screenshots also.

This is how I've done this:
1. Downloaded the MacOS High Sierra from AppStore and make to bootable USB
2. Downloaded and install clover to the USB.
3. Downloaded and replaced CLOVER directory from here: https://github.com/KGP/X99-EFI-Folder-Distributions
4. After installation installed clover to SSD and copied CLOVER directory.

I've not followed all of the instruction, I tried to update the microcode, but stuck in the middle. (B.1.2) MSR 0xE2 register unlock for OSX Kernel Write). I wasn't able to fix this problem, I don't even know is this necessary for Gigabyte motherboard.

Anyway, in short with your CLOVER folder I finished installing Mac OS High Sierra.

My question is: Do I've to be worried about the Geekbench mark scores? I've done motherboard adjustments it is same.

I'm very sorry if any of the above information is incomplete please let me know.

Thanks again for the great guide.
Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 7.37.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-01-02 at 7.45.14 AM.png

Last edited:
Hello.
I finished the guide and installed High Sierra on X99.
However, I have absolutely no USB support.
Just 3 ports work, I have
1 keyboard
1 mouse
1 flash drive

That's it even the inner USB headers, the USB 3.1, USB 3.0, nothing absolutely nothing works.
Even the USB external hub.

I would appreciate help, I am so close, but at the same time, this computer doesn't even had headphones, Wireless, Bluetooth, USB hubs, no peripherals what so ever

I was able to fix the USB problem with X99_Injector USB 3.kext

Anybody knows why was this possible solution not mentioned on the guide?

I was able to fix the USB problem with X99_Injector USB 3.kext

Anybody knows why was this possible solution not mentioned on the guide?

Because I recommend to use a truncated board-specific 15-port XHC USB kext, as outlined in my guide.

Because I recommend to use a truncated board-specific 15-port XHC USB kext, as outlined in my guide.

Would you mind for Asus X99 Sabertooth how would I start building a board-specific kext.

The guide is pretty long and I read all of it but that part of USB kext was confusing.

Would you mind for Asus X99 Sabertooth how would I start building a board-specific kext.

The guide is pretty long and I read all of it but that part of USB kext was confusing.

I would not know which part of the guide is confusing. There is no short version and I am not going to re-explain the entire procedure here again.

Anyway if the Asus X99 Sabertooth employs the same XHC onboard controller as the ASUS X99-A II, you just have to do the port discovery.

Having a truncated 15-port XHC USB kext at your deposit will not only make you independent from any necessity of a working USB port limit patch but also make your system more vanilla in terms of future macOS updates.

Ok but form now I can just keep using the X99 injector you recommended on the X99 Sierra guide correct?

Ok but form now I can just keep using the X99 injector you recommended on the X99 Sierra guide correct?

up to you.. I just answered your former question why the X99_Injector USB 3.kext is not particularly addressed in my 10.13. or 10.14 X99 guides.

up to you.. I just answered your former question why the X99_Injector USB 3.kext is not particularly addressed in my 10.13. or 10.14 X99 guides.

Is there a benefit in having a custom made kext

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back