Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no problem with the performance patch. The patch is perfectly working. Although the performance patch is different for 10.13.6, 10.13.6 SU, 10.14.0 and 10.14.1. Thus maybe you are just using the wrong version?

BTW.. Did you read the parts of the README.md in the EFI-Folder repository that relates with the 5820K? The 5820K won't work OoB with the config.plist configuration in the distributed EFI-Folder.

If you are not able to get things properly set on your system by yourself, upload your BIOS settings and EFI-Folder.
So, there is my EFI FOLDER, bios settings are the same as in your guide, (i don't have a camera to make photos but I can assure you that are the same) , this configuration worked flawless for me untill 10.13.6 su. XCPM is enabled but with the performance patch processor stays all the time at minimum state (1.2 ghz). I inject plugin type with ssdt.aml but in order to enable xcpm I need to check Kernel XCPM (or use xcpm bootstrap, pkg and smt patches for 10.13) (tried that way too, still with performance patch it locks my 5820k at 1.2 ghz. Rolled back to 10.13.6 (17G65) and it works like a charm agin. Same settings. I left disabled the performance patch i've used for SU, but is taken from your post so can't be wrong. I left also my custom usb kext for Asus X99 Deluxe on smbios iMacPro1.1 . Idk to work with github haha. USB works flawlesly.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 14.18.01.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at 14.18.01.png
    73.4 KB · Views: 78
  • AsusX99DeluxeUsbInjector.kext.zip
    2.5 KB · Views: 57
It seems to be good for GPU's. If anyone can check I'm not doing any mistake. :)

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2018-11-07 à 16.02.21.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-11-07 à 16.02.21.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 105
  • SSDT-X99-Nvidia-1.aml
    675 bytes · Views: 76
  • SSDT-X99-Nvidia-2.aml
    675 bytes · Views: 70
So, there is my EFI FOLDER, bios settings are the same as in your guide, (i don't have a camera to make photos but I can assure you that are the same) , this configuration worked flawless for me untill 10.13.6 su. XCPM is enabled but with the performance patch processor stays all the time at minimum state (1.2 ghz). I inject plugin type with ssdt.aml but in order to enable xcpm I need to check Kernel XCPM (or use xcpm bootstrap, pkg and smt patches for 10.13) (tried that way too, still with performance patch it locks my 5820k at 1.2 ghz. Rolled back to 10.13.6 (17G65) and it works like a charm agin. Same settings. I left disabled the performance patch i've used for SU, but is taken from your post so can't be wrong. I left also my custom usb kext for Asus X99 Deluxe on smbios iMacPro1.1 . Idk to work with github haha. USB works flawlesly.

I am indeed not surprised, my friend that nothing works as expected by this messy config.plist configuration.

1.) I clearly discourage from using MatchOS assignments within the config.plist, which might be also the current source of your issues. Please always provide to each system disk it's separate EFI-Folder. If you have different macOS partitions on the same disk, use different config.plists to boot with.

2.) Now for each macOS version, use the respective config.plist attached below. Each config.plist should work OoB for each respective macOS distribution.

3.) In each config.plist I checked "PluginType". Thus, please also remove your SSDT.aml PluginType injector from your EFI-Folder.

4.) I also revised and modified your XHC USB kext (once more attached below).

Remaining XHC USB kext issues:

a.) We need one fully implemented and one truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for each mobo. Actually you just attached a truncated 10-port XHC USB kext. Please provide a fully implemented and a truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for the ASUS X99 Deluxe.

b.) Both kexts should contain a port-layout.rtf like the one attached below for the ASUS X99-A II.

c.) We are talking about the ASUS X99 Deluxe and not about the ASUS X99 Deluxe II, correct?

Cheers,

KGP

Attachments

• config.plist-10.13.6.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 61
  • config.plist-10.13.16-SU.zip
    7.3 KB · Views: 69
  • config.plist-10.14.0.zip
    7.2 KB · Views: 70
  • config.plist-10.14.1.zip
    7.1 KB · Views: 63
  • dMatik-iMacPro-ASUS-X99Deluxe-XHCI-15port.kext.zip
    3.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Port-Layout.rtf.zip
    1.5 KB · Views: 71
It seems to be good for GPU's. If anyone can check I'm not doing any mistake. :)

You are still missing the respective HDAU implementations and I am questioning myself how you are able to squeeze two 2-slot CPUs in PCIe Slot-1 and PCIe Slot-2. Or should PCIe Slot-2 rather read PCIe Slot-4? ;)

If your are doing right or wrong, my friend..

IOREG tells us at the end..

:lol:

I am indeed not surprised, my friend that nothing works as expected by this messy config.plist configuration.

1.) I clearly discourage from using MatchOS assignments within the config.plist, which might be also the current source of your issues. Please always provide to each system disk it's separate EFI-Folder. If you have different macOS partitions on the same disk, use different config.plists to boot with.

2.) Now for each macOS version, use the respective config.plist attached below. Each config.plist should work OoB for each respective macOS distribution.

3.) In each config.plist I checked "PluginType". Thus, please also remove your SSDT.aml PluginType injector from your EFI-Folder.

4.) I also revised and modified your XHC USB kext (once more attached below).

Remaining XHC USB kext issues:

a.) We need one fully implemented and one truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for each mobo. Actually you just attached a truncated 10-port XHC USB kext. Please provide a fully implemented and a truncated 15-port XHC USB kext for the ASUS X99 Deluxe.

b.) Both kexts should contain a port-layout.rtf like the one attached below for the ASUS X99-A II.

c.) We are talking about the ASUS X99 Deluxe and not about the ASUS X99 Deluxe II, correct?

Cheers,

KGP
Yes, Asus X99 Deluxe , I will get to work, be back in a few days with results about performance on 10.13.6 su and also with full usb for your github repo. Thank you !

Reactions: kgp
Well KGP, here is something I have been poking around at about my asrock and msr.

Snippet of AppeIntelInfo
Code:
MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.......(0xE2)  : 0x400
------------------------------------------
 - I/O MWAIT Redirection Enable......... : 1 (enabled, IO read of MSR(0xE4) mapped to MWAIT)
 - CFG Lock............................. : 0 (MSR not locked)
 - C3 State Auto Demotion............... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - C1 State Auto Demotion............... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - C3 State Undemotion.................. : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - C1 State Undemotion.................. : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - Package C-State Auto Demotion........ : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - Package C-State Undemotion........... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

So I then opened my bios file in UEFITool, instead of searching for CFG Lock I instead searched for MWAIT. It found a match, so i extracted it via ifrextract.

Snippet of MWAIT
Code:
0x391DA                 One Of: Monitor/Mwait, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x7D, VarStore: 0x1, QuestionId: 0xCF3, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 44 11 45 11 F3 0C 01 00 7D 00 10 10 00 01 00}
0x391EB                         One Of Option: Disable, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 07 4B 0A 00 00 00}
0x391F2                         One Of Option: Enable, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default) {09 07 4A 0A 30 00 01}
0x391F9                 End One Of {29 02}

Do you have any comments or suggestions about this finding? Or any other person with some knowledge.

Thank you for your input.

Last edited:
Well KGP, here is something I have been poking around at about my asrock and msr.

Snippet of AppeIntelInfo
Code:
MSR_PMG_CST_CONFIG_CONTROL.......(0xE2)  : 0x400
------------------------------------------
 - I/O MWAIT Redirection Enable......... : 1 (enabled, IO read of MSR(0xE4) mapped to MWAIT)
 - CFG Lock............................. : 0 (MSR not locked)
 - C3 State Auto Demotion............... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - C1 State Auto Demotion............... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - C3 State Undemotion.................. : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - C1 State Undemotion.................. : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - Package C-State Auto Demotion........ : 0 (disabled/unsupported)
 - Package C-State Undemotion........... : 0 (disabled/unsupported)

So I then opened my bios file in UEFITool, instead of searching for CFG Lock I instead searched for MWAIT. It found a match, so i extracted it via ifrextract.

Snippet of MWAIT
Code:
0x391DA                 One Of: Monitor/Mwait, VarStoreInfo (VarOffset/VarName): 0x7D, VarStore: 0x1, QuestionId: 0xCF3, Size: 1, Min: 0x0, Max 0x1, Step: 0x0 {05 91 44 11 45 11 F3 0C 01 00 7D 00 10 10 00 01 00}
0x391EB                         One Of Option: Disable, Value (8 bit): 0x0 {09 07 4B 0A 00 00 00}
0x391F2                         One Of Option: Enable, Value (8 bit): 0x1 (default) {09 07 4A 0A 30 00 01}
0x391F9                 End One Of {29 02}

Do you have any comments or suggestions about this finding? Or any other person with some knowledge.

Thank you for your input.

These is too less information to provide any answer, you know it.

These is too less information to provide any answer, you know it.
K No problem, what additional information would you need for further investigation so I may provide it.

Attachments

• AppleIntelInfo.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 72
K No problem, what additional information would you need for further investigation so I may provide it.

At first place, I would need the entire AppeIntelInfo snippet. Then I would need a IPG snapshot with CPU Idle and CPU max. load (2-3 cinebench sessions), CPU benchmarks, Snapshots of BIOS settings, EFI-Folder, IOREG.save.. as usual..

At first place, I would need the entire AppeIntelInfo snippet. Then I would need a IPG snapshot with CPU Idle and CPU max. load (2-3 cinebench sessions), CPU benchmarks, Snapshots of BIOS settings, EFI-Folder, IOREG.save.. as usual..

Don't have a camera to picture the bios. But nearly identical to guide, Multicore Enhancement Enabled, VT disabled, 4G decoding enabled, CMS disabled, EHCI enabled, Enhanced C1 state enabled, C6 report enabled, etc. no overclock settings.

Also has Bios image has latest microcode update.

Thanks.

Attachments

• AppleIntelInfo.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 65
  • benchmark-cinebench-3x.png
    benchmark-cinebench-3x.png
    56.2 KB · Views: 65
  • Cinebench.png
    Cinebench.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 69
  • EFI.zip
    3.6 MB · Views: 67