Contribute
Register

How to extend the iMac Pro to X99 [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys !

I found it ! I found the black sheep !
It came from the setting "Above 4G Decoding". When enabled, macOS won't boot correctly with 2 Nvidia GPUs.
When I turned it off, it boots quickly and my 2 cards are seen by the system with webdrivers.
Do you have any explication ?

I did some benchmarks, for now all seems worked well, I hope it still work like a charm, I'll you stay tuned for the next days.

Thanks for your help, and you can maybe add this trick in your guide for people like me, who have 2x Pascal GPU cards in their builds.

:headbang:

NICE
can't wait to see your benchmark results ;)

about CUDA,
I found that program developed for MAC are more efficient with METAL (so VEGA) than with a Nvidia ad much more now when PASCAL are not able to keep the OC like Maxwell

unfortunatelly from my side I work in dual boot and the programs I use on WIN10 partition cannot use at all AMD, I cannot render etc etc, only NVidia
so I am locked with my 1080Ti :(

Hi guys !

It came from the setting "Above 4G Decoding". When enabled, macOS won't boot correctly with 2 Nvidia GPUs.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2018-11-05 à 23.34.26.png
    Capture d’écran 2018-11-05 à 23.34.26.png
    250.8 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Reactions: kgp
Hi guys !

When I turned it off, it boots quickly and my 2 cards are seen by the system with webdrivers.
Do you have any explication ?

I did some benchmarks, for now all seems worked well, I hope it still work like a charm, I'll you stay tuned for the next days.

Thanks for your help, and you can maybe add this trick in your guide for people like me, who have 2x Pascal GPU cards in their builds.

BTW.. did you see at all that at least in my X99 iMac Pro guides, I anyway recommend to enable "Above 4G Decoding" to avoid memory allocation errors when using AptioMemoryFix.efi, which is anyway part of the default configuration in my EFI-Folder distribution? ;)

Screenshot 2018-11-05 at 16.00.01.png

Reactions: GDS
BTW.. did you see at all that at least in my X99 iMac Pro guides, I anyway recommend to enable "Above 4G Decoding" to avoid memory allocation errors when using AptioMemoryFix.efi, which is anyway part of the default configuration in my EFI-Folder distribution? ;)

View attachment 363154

Yes I did ! But enabling 4G decoding makes my system unable to boot, so I have to disable it.
What will be the consequences sir ? :confused:

Yes I did ! But enabling 4G decoding makes my system unable to boot, so I have to disable it.
What will be the consequences sir ? :confused:

Well if you are able to boot without 4G decoding enabled and even your dual Nvidia GPU conifuration is working such, you are lucky anyway. Others might not be that lucky in your situation.

Reactions: GDS
Could you please also upload the fully implemented kext (with all USB connectors implemented and working) to be added to the XHC USB kext library?
Yes, I will try to get that done sometime tonight.

Yes, I will try to get that done sometime tonight.

Great! Please revise both kexts (fully implemented and 15-port) and assign "255" instead of "0" to all internal USB2.0 HS ports and "255" instead of "3" also to all internal USB3.0 HS and SS ports. It would be also gorgeous if you could also add to the kexts a port-layout.rtf like I already did in case of the KGP-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D-XHCI.kext and KGP-iMacPro-ASUS-PX299D-XHCI-15port.kexts.

Many thanks in advance,

KGP

So dumb question, I tried adding the Nvidia SSDT for my Asus X99-E Mobo to the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and nothing happens? It's still being recognized as in "Slot 4" even though it is attached to "Slot 1". I'm also in the process of making the other components such as the ASM1142, etc. I know I will probably have to edit the aml file but what?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.13.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 7.13.53 AM.png
    95.2 KB · Views: 91
So dumb question, I tried adding the Nvidia SSDT for my Asus X99-E Mobo to the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and nothing happens? It's still being recognized as in "Slot 4" even though it is attached to "Slot 1". I'm also in the process of making the other components such as the ASM1142, etc. I know I will probably have to edit the aml file but what?

Your implementations are not correct.

Last edited:
Your implementations are not correct.

Yeah I figured it won't just be a "copy-paste" thing so I just modified KGP's and it my Nvidia works now. On to the next ones!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 9.08.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 9.08.29 AM.png
    112.6 KB · Views: 108
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back